EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum, been a Mechanic for a long time. I need some input on this one. 2009 Enclave, 163000, vehicle is in great condition, driving on thursday night - No/low power miss firing then ran normal and great then no power serious misfires. when I could finally shut down in a safe area, found front 3 cyl manifold HOT, melted sticker off of oil filter and the big lead to Alt. output shows char and blisters. Replaced both upstream O2 sensors - same - dropped front cat (melted internally) ran open header still no help .... Anyone else had this issue? Doing compression checks in am and maybe pulling intake and exhaust manifold to check valves visually. ANY help greatly appreciated, It's the wife's car.

·
Super Moderator
583 Posts
I’d be willing to bet you get bad news on the compression test. If it got that hot the head gasket is almost certainly leaking now. Your misfire (likely something as minor as a bad coil) was dumping raw fuel into the cat, which was hot enough to burn it. Once it melted that heat had nowhere to go. All that heat plus back pressure from the plugged cat is a death sentence for the head gasket. Also may have warped the head.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well haven't ran test yet - gotta go rent the compression tester, just got done building a '05 Colorado 2.8 with VVT - I'm 60 in 2 months and working everyday 🤪 "I'm gettin' too old for this S***"
I enjoy the way the newer engines run and mileage, but GD miss the old cast iron and Carbs, too many timing issues with double overhead and VVT. Well I'm sure you are right about the gasket but I will pray against the warp (but most likely true as well)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Silver Smothie said this happened suddenly. I get the impression the engine ran with no issues until that Thursday drive. The CAT wouldn't get plugged like that so quickly. If one or 2 coils went out and it was driven this way for some time, I can see this happening. But Silver would have noticed a significant misfire for quite some time. He didn't say that was the case.

·
Super Moderator
583 Posts
Between the heat being enough to melt the plug wires and him saying, "when I could finally shut down in a safe area" I have a feeling he drove it much too far with a severe misfire. Guess we'll wait and see based on the compression test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, time for an update. Ran the compression test last Sunday, All cylinders above 150, 2-4-6 are 170-170-160 respectively.
We don't have money for AZ replacement parts, Spent 2 1/2 hours at a local wrecking yard getting 3 injectors, 3 coil modules, a good Cat from a 2010, and a pile of other parts for a Colorado I am trying to finish. Going to make a test harness for the spark coils and praying the injectors aren't plugged in an open condition, (all new plugs 2-4-6 Came out wet with fuel) So tomorrow I get to put it back together and see what happens. So ... So far I have put $400 into parts to bring it back to life. There was a question of how long I drove it under miss-fire, less than 5 miles the night it failed. My wife told me she had issues the night before with a stutter, then that night it miss-fired just after starting then we drove about 10 miles to a drive -in in a town we went to high school at then 1/2 way home it began the hard miss, lucky for us we lived in the area for over 50 years, and stopped at my daughters. All I can definitely say is, When I got it shut down and opened the hood, I could feel the heat from 5 feet away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I can add to this - The Sat, Previous to the Cat meltdown, I had just replaced some things under the car - then went to a specific gas station to get a full tank ( wife had a Dr. appt) then the whole thing went to **** -- asked on FB and a neighborhood group if anyone had issues - got 1 reply of and "emissions" light was set - it may be BAD gas
I plan on dumping the tank and getting a National brand station fuel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You could have that suspect fuel tested. Maybe you could get the cost of repairs from that station you bought the gas from if it proves to have some kind of contamination. Just a thought.

I don't think the 2010 Enclave coils you got are compatible with a 2009 Enclave engine. I replaced all 6 of my coils at about the 90,000 mile mark due to a history of coil failures on a 2009 - and I thought the coils were different from 2010 on up. You should check to see if your wiring harness connector on your engine for one of the coils will connect to the coils you got from a salvage 2010 Enclave. Since my coils all worked, I was selling my old coils cheap on eBay. Sold 2, still have 4, in case you want to purchase good used 2009 Enclave coils (if you find out the 2010 coils won't work for you).

I have to admit, if all this came on very quickly, I doubt your cat was damaged by a misfire (unless you had a misfire for a long time and didn't notice it). So why you had so much damaging heat doesn't fit with having bad fuel that came on suddenly after a refill. There are parts of the story that doesn't fit well together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
issues, issues, issues, Ok heres where I'm at... dead in the water, on Tuesday Oct 6, I had replaced the front cat, had the car running in driveway without any faults or misfires. Then I made a serious error --TEST drive, I went east for 3/4 mile, then 3/4 mile north to a main road and had to stop. As the car sat idling, it began loading up and the misfires came back. Another $80 wrecker bill to get it home 1 1/2 Mile away. Took the fuel tank down and dumped it. (kept it) did a test burn (real scientific right) - same amounts of gas +- the fuel it had burned almost 20 min. New Gasoline burned quicker and left a serious black circle on gravel. --- Bad gas!
pulled and replaced all spark plugs and dropped the mid-body Cat, Full of fluff and also melted internally. right now if the car starts, it runs on 1-3-5 but also the car won't crank at all after 18 hours on charger.
We are looking for a 2016 Enclave. the only reason we are looking for another Enclave is we love the car, Smooth, quiet and this one could really move if you needed to. 5 years ago it made a high speed run to Ft. Wayne when our son had a medical problem 90+ miles in 45 min.

this is purely my opinion, When you have to take half the engine apart to try to diagnose an issue and you can't test anything separated from the engine, it proves completely un-realistic. Unless you dump copious amounts of $$$ and time into a High mileage vehicle. I ain't doing it! I don't have or access to a vehicle lift. I am totally capable to make the repairs - I can and have built many engines and transmissions, But I'm F****n Tired!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This will be my last post about this issue..... Anyone looking for a 2009 Enclave ? Excellent condition except the engine may be damaged. We went and found a 2014 Enclave with 30,500 miles 6 years newer and half the miles of the 09 when we got it.
Going to try one last time to try to get the 09 to run but I'M NOT holding my breath.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So you are now convinced water in your fuel tank was not the cause? Or was there no water in the fuel tank? Or did the water in your fuel tank damage your engine? I'm not clear what you know or assume.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you are now convinced water in your fuel tank was not the cause? Or was there no water in the fuel tank? Or did the water in your fuel tank damage your engine? I'm not clear what you know or assume.
OK - From all that I can determine with limited chemistry knowledge, no means to perform correct testing, and a whole lot of been there done that.... This isn't gasoline, not in the state that will be good for operation. there was absolutely ZERO water in the fuel unless it's dissolved/absorbed in Alcohol. a test burn compared to fresh "recent and different" source fuel had completely different burn characteristics. MY opinion - This is either E85-E88-or some additive mixed by mistake that doesn't burn correctly and the car pushed a ton of raw "weird fuel" into a hot catalytic once the plugs couldn't fire. The only good consolation I can take from this is, this car was paid off, and now I don't have to kill myself trying to get it to run immediately. attaching a page I found today in the new enclave manual....they say to ask the attendant "whats in the fuel?" yeah right a lot of these folks are in trouble knowing English or have NO **** clue whats in the gas!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

1 - 13 of 13 Posts