EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advanced Auto Parts has a good deal (at least in my area) for those who will be changing their own oil and putting in Mobil 1. Buy 5 quarts for around $30.00 and get a Mobil 1 oil filter free (the filter cost around $10.00). I got six quarts of 5W30 and the filter (M1-113) for just under $36.00 out the door.

I haven't been changing my own oil for the last several years but wanted to put in Mobile 1 so it was to good to pass up. My Enclave has about 1,300 miles on it.

As others have posted changing the oil and filter are fairly easy on the Enclave; all you need is a 15MM box end wrench and a band type filter wrench (and of course a pan to receive the used oil)). I would also recommend a funnel with at least a 6 inch neck as the oil fill is recessed several inches.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Great! Thanks for the info. I like the idea of using a Mobil 1 filter. I hear its the same as Purolater, though.

TM

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I use to change my own oil all the time, got so hard to dispose of the used oil, what do you guys do with it?

·
Registered
349 Posts
bsox said:
I use to change my own oil all the time, got so hard to dispose of the used oil, what do you guys do with it?
I go to a hazardous waste disposal site our county maintains. As long as I tell them it is uncontaminated used oil, they dump it in the recycle tank. If it has been contaminated with brake cleaner or coolant or anything else bad, it gets dumped in a tank for incineration. The service is free and they take pretty much any household type waste.

I also thought stores that sold oil HAD to accept the used back.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
cruiser68 said:
I go to a hazardous waste disposal site our county maintains. As long as I tell them it is uncontaminated used oil, they dump it in the recycle tank. If it has been contaminated with brake cleaner or coolant or anything else bad, it gets dumped in a tank for incineration. The service is free and they take pretty much any household type waste.

I also thought stores that sold oil HAD to accept the used back.
Same here. I use the 5 quart Mobil 1 jugs. They work great for storing the old oil as well. I just let 4 or 5 of them pile up and then take them to the county hazardous recycling center.

I think any place in MN that changes oil (not sells it) has to accept used oil. I am not 100% certain however.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
bsox said:
All of the auto parts stores here have a drop-off. AutoZone limits you to 10 qts a month; Advance Auto doesn't limit the quantity. I've got 4 vehicles so I go over the 10 qt limit sometimes. I've got a 10 qt oil drain pan and return the used oil into the original container(s) before taking them in. I usually use the 5 qt containers of Mobil 1 from Wally World.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tin Man said:
Sorry, but that web site is useless. It also recommends 3,000 mile oil changes. No evidence or data whatsoever.

TM
As I said "for what it's worth". Everyone has an opinion yourself included.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use synthetic oil and empty it at our recycling center. I guess it doesn't make a difference in recyling the oil if it is dino oil or synthetic.

I used to use Mobil 1 but now use Amsoil. However, I may use Mobil 1 on the Enclave.

·
Registered
758 Posts
press said:
I use synthetic oil and empty it at our recycling center. I guess it doesn't make a difference in recyling the oil if it is dino oil or synthetic.

I used to use Mobil 1 but now use Amsoil. However, I may use Mobil 1 on the Enclave.
Hey, if its GM6094 certified and 5W30, it should be a winner.

TM

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I have been using valvoline Synpower in my G6, Advanced auto parts runs it periodically as buy 1 get 1 free for $5.75 a quart. Not a bad deal!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use AMSOIL in all my cars for the last 10 years, but I wonder about this engine. The best oil they have is a 0W-30 that is formulated to be used in place of a 5W-30. I use it year round on my other cars, but may stick with the AMSOIL 5W-30 in this engine just to be safe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
mobil 1 5w30 at walmart all the time in 5 quart jugs for 26.00. and you can take your oil there even if you didn't buy it there. there is a limit of i think 5 gallons at a time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts