EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the Molded Splash Guards (not the contoured)? And do you have photos? I'm considering it but would like to know how they look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can anyone post some pictures of their splash guards? I'd really like to see them and have not been able to find any pictures. If you have them, did you have to have the dealer install them as well? I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thanks :help:

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I've got them.....check out my photos (#3 in particular) which may or may not show you the detail you want/need. I happen to like the look; I realize not everyone shares my viewpoint.

For the record, I had them installed by the dealer after initially intending to self-install. One thing I didn't like at all about the design is the need to drill. IMHO, that's an inexcusably shoddy design in 2009, and frankly and leads me to believe GM wants.....in a matter of speaking.....to "force" owners to use dealer labor (not that drilling holes is rocket science, of course).

But worse, you absolutely MUST remove the tires to install on the rear; and at minimum, you have to turn your fronts to either extreme to keep from having to remove them. And believe me, unless you happen to have a legitimate floor jack......which I later purchased.....you don't want to screw around with trying to remove those 19's/20s using the crummy scissor-jack that comes with the vehicle in anything other than an absolute, drop-dead emergency.

For yours truly, the installation ended up being well-worth the single hour of dealer labor.....and BTW, I bought the MSG's online.....to avoid the much bigger hassle I encountered (particularly since I had it done in the middle of January).

·
Registered
182 Posts
WVUGUY,

Were those original Buick guards?
Self, dealer, or factory installed?
Are you happy with the fit and function of them?

I am thinking about ordering a 2010 jewel red CXL2 and think I would like them rather than the side boards.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
installer said:
WVUGUY,

Were those original Buick guards?
Self, dealer, or factory installed?
Are you happy with the fit and function of them?

I am thinking about ordering a 2010 jewel red CXL2 and think I would like them rather than the side boards.

Thanks!
1) These are the GM factory accessory MSG's
2) See my edited description regarding installation
3) Yes

Truthfully, I personally would have liked the molded running boards for both the look and splash protection (and couldn't give a whit about the functional aspects). However, I found the first/installed cost to be prohibitive as an accessory, and never gave them much serious consideration for that reason. I personally believe they should be be offered as a factory option as opposed to an accessory.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
Let me add that a local WDT w/Chromes, Venture Shield and Molded SG's parks near me almost every weekend at the Fresh Market and the MSG's make a subtle but dramatic statement that this is a classy vehicle, just like wvguy's photo. :notworthy: (I've never spoken to the older guy who drives it - older than me, so he's pretty old - but he sure has a way of angle parking in two spaces to protect his investment. In any event, it's a beauty.) :angel:

2Much
It's amazing how accurately that describes yours truly. Let's see, I'm definitely an older guy (52).....drive an Enclave PRECISELY like the one listed.....reside in Ohio (SW as opposed to NE).....and take two spaces for vehicle preservation reasons whenever possible (though ALWAYS on the lot fringe, absolutely NEVER anywhere near the close-in spaces). What I don't do is visit The Fresh Market every weekend.....though I do go there on occasion.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Don't get me wrong: I really like the way the running boards look, but I tried getting in and out of one with that had them installed and with out:

Without - no problem to get in or out.

With - sort of had to step over them further. Stepping on them was cumbersom. Gettin out (as many have posted) it seems the back and side of your leggs rub against them. Not good if wet, muddy, dusty or slushy out side.

But, I do like the way they look.

I thought the splash guards may keep the sides a bit cleaner and they still look good.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
installer said:
Don't get me wrong: I really like the way the running boards look, but I tried getting in and out of one with that had them installed and with out:

Without - no problem to get in or out.

With - sort of had to step over them further. Stepping on them was cumbersom. Gettin out (as many have posted) it seems the back and side of your leggs rub against them. Not good if wet, muddy, dusty or slushy out side.

But, I do like the way they look.

I thought the splash guards may keep the sides a bit cleaner and they still look good.

Many thanks!
Oh, I'm very well aware that the running boards.....like splash guards and optional wheels and the after market grills, etc.....aren't for everyone. Some consider them absolutely mandatory in assisting access for small kids and the elderly, while others think they're good for little more than dirtying one's pant leg. While I really like the way they look.....and think they finish the side profile beautifully.....I know for a fact I'd be one of those complaining about the dirty pants, because I'd absolutely NEVER use them for assistance (unless they helped me span a puddle next to the car).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed the splash guards on my 09 without removing the rear wheels. I used a smaller rechargeable drill and it went fine. Keep in mind that you are drilling into relatively soft plastic, not metal. The front ones went very easily, because you can turn the front wheels to give all the clearance that you need. The back ones were a little trickier. The top and bottom holes drilled without problem, but the middle one was trickier. The drill was on a slight angle, but the plastic is so soft that the screws went in easily. I used an angled L shaped screwdriver that can work in a space small enough to allow the clearance between the tire and the body. The type of screw driver made it necessary to turn the screw a half turn at a time, but each rear guard took no more than 10 minutes. Installation of all four took no longer than 40 minutes. They look great, and living on a rural gravel road, they are a necessity.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I put them on my 2008...you can see the pics in my gallery too. I think they look very nice as they are color keyed to the body cladding. I am putting them on my new 2010 too :blob:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts