EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The biggest question about the Enclave's future has been "When will the V8 arrive?"

Many people have been hoping for 2009, but my gut has been saying 2010. February's Motor Trend says the same. When discussing VLE Anna Kretz in their "Power List" on page 88, they list her upcoming challenges as the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse and "2010 Buick Enclave Super with the high-feature V8."

Oddly, no mention of other Lambdas getting the V8. Just an oversight, or no Acadia Denali and Traverse Sport? (I'm thinking no V8 for the Saturn, given the brand's image.)

UPDATE: on 1-3-2008 it was announced that GM has killed the Ultra V8, and will not produce it. Motor Trend says the reason is that GM decided that the DI V6 would produce enough power for the Lambdas. Personally, I suspect a combination of CAFE and the difficulty of engineering a transaxle to handle 350+ pounds-feet of torque.

Auto reliability research--need more Enclaves!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Re: Motor Trend says Enclave Super with HF V8 in 2010

I find the acceleration of the Enclave to be more than adequate. Lets hope GM decides to cancel any V8 and put something that gets better fuel economy in. The thought of how difficult it will be servicing a V8 front wheel drive transverse engine comes to mind also.

Some articles imply that lightweight materials such as aluminum will be used to lighten up future vehicles to meet the more strict CAFE, which will start in 2011 and not treat light trucks differently as it did in the past.

TM

·
Registered
69 Posts

Tin Man said:
I find the acceleration of the Enclave to be more than adequate. Lets hope GM decides to cancel any V8 and put something that gets better fuel economy in. The thought of how difficult it will be servicing a V8 front wheel drive transverse engine comes to mind also.
I agree, the V6 performs fine. I'm not out to hot rod and would much rather have better fuel economy.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Do we need a V8 in this vehicle? I agree with Tin Man, work on the fuel economy.

·
Registered
509 Posts

nickyd said:
Do we need a V8 in this vehicle? I agree with Tin Man, work on the fuel economy.
No, you don't at all. The main purpose--if it does actually come--is just 1) to say you offer a V8, and 2) satisfy the need for those (many around here) who always want more power...gas mileage regardless.

Not that I think, if it comes, it will turn an Enclave into a thirsty pig, but it isn't going to help much in the gas regard. As is, the 3.6L/6-speed (aside from any programming issues, as was seen with earlier builds and even now) is definitely the "sweet spot" for the Lambdas. The right level of power, refinement, and economy, without too much or too little in any regard for most who buy/drive one.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Not the response I expected, or that GM expects. So many (not including myself) have complained that the Lambdas are "underpowered." Looks like they're heading into a situation of "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

·
Registered
758 Posts

mkaresh said:
Not the response I expected, or that GM expects. So many (not including myself) have complained that the Lambdas are "underpowered." Looks like they're heading into a situation of "damned if you do, damned if you don't."
Look, our V8 Suburban barely had 210 hp in 1993 and was considered adequate. The optional and very thirsty "upgrade" had less hp than the current Enclave's 275 hp.

Enough is enough! Power is the first thing someone longs for when they get a car, the thing they get used to first, whether its a Corolla or a Ferrari.

When it costs a dollar a mile to travel in some vehicles if not many nowadays, my freedom is being limited and I am annoyed that more fuel efficient choices are not available. Bring on the diesels!

TM

·
Registered
758 Posts

Our current "fleet" includes a 20 mpg utility vehicle (Enclave) a 30 mpg sedan (E320 CDI) and a 40 mpg coupe (New Beetle). This is reasonable, for now, considering we use them for their intended purposes, with 4 kids, 2 grandparents, and lots of job and college related driving. I am lucky to afford what we have and don't especially need or want a V8.

But a gasoline engine in a large vehicle is the wrong choice, since a diesel has much more low end torque, useful for large loads and gets much better fuel economy. We got the Enclave because the only other choices were about the same economy or worse and the Enclave had the best value for our money. A Suburban would have been more thirsty and $10,000 more similarly equipped. A Mercedes GL diesel was $20,000 more with similar fuel economy.

We need more choices, but our foolish legislature seems to listen more to environmental lobbyists who have it wrong about clean diesel emissions in cars (basically banning diesel cars) while allowing plenty of larger diesel trucks to be given a reprieve from their overly strict rules.

TM

·
Registered
31 Posts

I am one of the folks sitting on the fence with the Enclave and have been watching for news on the Enclave Super since it was rumored in the spring.

I currently own a 2004 Lincoln Aviator with a 300+ hp V8 with 35,000 miles on it. I have new car fever to say the least but I'm in no hurry because I do love my current vehicle.

That said, the Enclave is a big and heavy vehicle. With that V6 it has a zero-to-60 of over 9 seconds. I want a small block V8 that can get the zero-to-60 in the respectable 7 second range.

I'm not familiar with GM's family of engines but I know with the right transmission matched with something like a 4.6 liter small bock V8 can come darn close to the same gas mileage as that V6.... particularly with the fact that it will be easier to propel that heavy curb weight.

If I don't like what the new Infiniti FX37 and FX50 looks like at the Geneva auto show in March, I will totally turn my attention to the Enclave Super.

·
Registered
758 Posts

Perhaps the equally as rumored Enclave direct injection 3.6 liter 300+ hp V6 will be of interest for you. It gets about the same gas mileage as the regular DOHC VVT 275 hp V6 Think of the V8 as a bit heavier too, so it might be a better choice overall.

But 0-60 times don't always tell all, as low end torque also helps in everyday driving.

TM

·
Registered
1 Posts

Cajun_Mike is the first person I've seen that feels the same way I do. I currently lease an 04 FX45 and have test driven the Enclave. As nice as the Enclave is, interstate on-ramp and passing power seemed to be lacking, particular compared to the Infiniti...I know, totally different target audiences - but why can't I have my cake and eat it too!

The new FX rollout will make all the difference for me and if I don't like it and there are no details on the V8-Enclave by late next summer, I'll be forced to rethink my next vehicle. :(

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

i will be happy with a the DI V6 thats in the CTS! i really really hope they come out with this option for M.Y. 2009. but DI or not we are getting a 2009 when they are first available.. ive waited long enough!!!!!! :blob: :blob: :banghead:

·
Registered
31 Posts

arahsib1 said:
Cajun_Mike is the first person I've seen that feels the same way I do. I currently lease an 04 FX45 and have test driven the Enclave. As nice as the Enclave is, interstate on-ramp and passing power seemed to be lacking, particular compared to the Infiniti...I know, totally different target audiences - but why can't I have my cake and eat it too!

The new FX rollout will make all the difference for me and if I don't like it and there are no details on the V8-Enclave by late next summer, I'll be forced to rethink my next vehicle. :(
"Cake and eat it too" is right.

I'm a young 40, getting married with no kids and don't plan on having any. I'm not looking for a people hauler, I just like SUV's and it's slim pickings in the midsize market now. My fiancee picked up the new Acura MDX earlier this year so we have that in the garage along with my Aviator.

As a guy, the Enclave is missing that extra something to make me jump and that something is performance. That is where the Super comes in and it's why the other vehicle I am strongly considering is the FX37/FX50. If it's anything like the Infiniti EX, yet retaining the similar lines of the current FX, I will be happy. I just don't want anything small like the RDX or X3.

If the new FX37 is ugly (which I doubt based on everything that Infiniti has introduced lately) or the Enclave Super is going to be two years away, I will then look at the Escalade (bigger than I want), X5 (only marginally like), Sequoia Platinum (bigger than I want and based on new Tundra that has many recalls) or 2009 Ford F150 Platinum (which replaces Lincoln Mark LT as Ford's luxury pickup).

·
Registered
758 Posts

We would not buy such a large vehicle if we didn't need the room. There are plenty of $40-70,000 cars that we like that would be very nice and more comfortable/fast/nice looking compared to the Enclave, which for an SUV/CUV/Minivan is the tops.

I would much rather be seen in a 30-40 mpg car that can run the autobahn with anything out there, be safe, cutting edge, comfortable, and retain its value. Oh, I already have one. Sorry.

TM

·
Registered
758 Posts

Cajun_Mike said:
"Cake and eat it too" is right.

I'm a young 40, getting married with no kids and don't plan on having any. I'm not looking for a people hauler, I just like SUV's and it's slim pickings in the midsize market now. My fiancee picked up the new Acura MDX earlier this year so we have that in the garage along with my Aviator.

As a guy, the Enclave is missing that extra something to make me jump and that something is performance. That is where the Super comes in and it's why the other vehicle I am strongly considering is the FX37/FX50. If it's anything like the Infiniti EX, yet retaining the similar lines of the current FX, I will be happy. I just don't want anything small like the RDX or X3.

If the new FX37 is ugly (which I doubt based on everything that Infiniti has introduced lately) or the Enclave Super is going to be two years away, I will then look at the Escalade (bigger than I want), X5 (only marginally like), Sequoia Platinum (bigger than I want and based on new Tundra that has many recalls) or 2009 Ford F150 Platinum (which replaces Lincoln Mark LT as Ford's luxury pickup).
First, welcome to the club.

I'd like to say that the Enclave is not a mid-size SUV, but actually larger than an Escalade. GM calls it a large CUV. The Theta platform is considered mid-size I believe and is coming out with some vehicles in the future. Have you looked at the Lincoln version of the Ford Edge?

If you don't like the X5 that much (and I concur) why haven't you mentioned an ML? It is quite nice IMO and comes with a variety of engine options. An ML320 CDI would be my choice if I didn't need to drive long distances and had a smaller family.

Otherwise, you may be right. Nothing much that is stylish out there in this kind of vehicle. The Enclave has this class pretty well covered, but the Nissan Murano and Mazda CX-7 have similar styling and are truly mid-size. As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of this class vehicle, so I'm not up on the latest in "fast 3 ton upscale vehicles" but it sounds like you are looking for a Porsche Cayenne.

TM

·
Registered
221 Posts

The LaCrosse Super with the 5.3 V8 and 303 hp makes approx 27-28 mpg. That is only a mile less than the 3.8 V/6 is rated with 197 hp. Gas mileage isn't a sacrifice in that car so why would it be one in the Enclave? True the Direct Injection makes 300 hp in the V/6 and that too would make me happier. Meanwhile, my Enclave doesn't have enough power to pull in through 3rd gear when it lugs down. IMO more power would help that sorry GM oversight. Until they fix that shifting point, I'll not be happy.

I do not expect a hot rod. I already have that for my weekly fix. But I do expect performance better than what I am getting and 30 more hp would certainly help. My first choice would be the V/8 for increased torque and I know nothing about a diesel other than all of that black smoke I understand is history.

·
Registered
758 Posts

gshields said:
The LaCrosse Super with the 5.3 V8 and 303 hp makes approx 27-28 mpg. That is only a mile less than the 3.8 V/6 is rated with 197 hp. Gas mileage isn't a sacrifice in that car so why would it be one in the Enclave? True the Direct Injection makes 300 hp in the V/6 and that too would make me happier. Meanwhile, my Enclave doesn't have enough power to pull in through 3rd gear when it lugs down. IMO more power would help that sorry GM oversight. Until they fix that shifting point, I'll not be happy.

I do not expect a hot rod. I already have that for my weekly fix. But I do expect performance better than what I am getting and 30 more hp would certainly help. My first choice would be the V/8 for increased torque and I know nothing about a diesel other than all of that black smoke I understand is history.
The 3.8 liter V6 is not as efficient as the DOHC VVT 3.6 liter V6 in the Enclave. Look at the Cadillac STS. It loses 2 mpg in both city and highway when it goes to the V8. The Direct Injection V6 has nearly the same power as the V8 with nearly the same fuel economy as the 3.6 V6. The Variable Valve Timing makes better low end torque. A transverse V8 is much more difficult to service than a V6, which would also be less weight. Quite a no-brainer.

TM

·
Registered
5 Posts

For those of you who are completely satisfied with the current engine, I'm happy for you. But some of us are not satisfied.

If you never travel on the interstate, never use the cruise control, I can see why you would be happy. I use the interstate and cruise quite often. The constant downshifting and upshifting is agrivateing to say the least. That is where you need more power.

I love the Enclave for many reasons, but more power is a must. That doesn't necessarily mean a V8. GM has V6 engines that would probably take care of the problem...such as the Cadilac V6.

But if it takes a V8 to do the job, that's fine too. Bigger engines does not necessarily equate to poor milage. The V6 engines have to work so hard where the V8's torque doesn't break a sweat.

The Enclave is not a small vehicle...it needs a better match with power.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

The DI 3.6 doesn't produce that much more power than the engine already in the Enclave, especially not at lower RPM. The difference wouldn't be major, as to get to those 300 horsepower the engine has to rev.

For more effortless cruising in a 5000-pound vehicle, a larger engine is necessary.

·
Registered
758 Posts

3.6L V6 VVT: 263 hp at 6200 rpm and 253 lb-ft of torque at 3100 rpm

3.6L Direct Injection V6: 304 hp at 6400 rpm and 273 lb-ft of torque at 5200 rpm

4.6L Northstar V8 VVT: 320 hp at 6,400 rpm and 315 lb-ft at 4,400

The top two get about the same fuel economy, although in the CTS, the Direct Injection engine loses 1 mpg in the city with the automatic transmission. In the Cadillac STS, the VVT V8 loses 2 mpg more in the city and 2 in the highway.

See http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm and
http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp...on.jsp?model=sts&year=2008&section=Powertrain

So essentially, if the city figure is closer to reality, and it would be for those seeking all that power, the best V8 GM has will get about 3 mpg less than the current Enclave V6.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if most ever use all the power currently available, and suspect that many are reluctant to have the transmission downshift so that the power that is more available at higher RPM actually comes around. I'll have to try it the next time I'm driving Emma.

TM

1 - 20 of 64 Posts