EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news...

At 1,000 miles I couldn't get over 19MPG on the highway, on cruise at 75ish (after resetting the DIC).

Had to road trip to N NJ today, 3,000 miles on 'Clave, 80MPH with a couple slows to 75 for traffic on cruise control, over 50 miles each way, got 22.3MPG...that's AWD and ethanol!

·
Registered
95 Posts
So are you thinking that as the car gets more miles or better broken in the MPG is improving? I am wondering about city miles. They say 16 miles, but is there anyone out there who feels that they are getting 16 MPG in the city? I would say I am seeing between 13-14 MPG in both our Enclaves so far. Anyone else have any numbers they been monitoring?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I can't say for sure since I don't have the statistics to prove it but I think 16 MPG in only city driving is optimistic. Before it turned cold here and the mileage on both our vehicles went to crap, we were getting about 16 MPG in typical suburban driving with some freeway and some city streets thrown in.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
im getting 13-14 mpg around time also....it has gotten worse as time goes on, uncertain why, it certainly has gotten better on any other vehicle I owned as it broke in.....

·
Registered
405 Posts
Started out at 13, now getting 16 mostly suburban driving. I'm happy!

·
Registered
167 Posts
approaching 9000 mi. now.
Avg 14 city and 20 -22 highway.

The vehicle is obviously not good for city driving
mpg.
I'm babying the heck out of the throttle in the city and that
is it.
i still did not get the trans upgrade yet.
due to the fact that people are reporting even worse mpg.
some body correct me on this if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Joe-drum said:
approaching 9000 mi. now.
Avg 14 city and 20 -22 highway.

The vehicle is obviously not good for city driving
mpg.
I'm babying the heck out of the throttle in the city and that
is it.
i still did not get the trans upgrade yet.
due to the fact that people are reporting even worse mpg.
some body correct me on this if i'm wrong.
You may be right, but if it feels right the way it drives to you, you might want to leave it alone.

But city fuel economy depends a lot on how often you use the brakes and how much you gun it between red lights.

TM

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
johnt26 said:
Good news...

At 1,000 miles I couldn't get over 19MPG on the highway, on cruise at 75ish (after resetting the DIC).

Had to road trip to N NJ today, 3,000 miles on 'Clave, 80MPH with a couple slows to 75 for traffic on cruise control, over 50 miles each way, got 22.3MPG...that's AWD and ethanol!
Glad to hear the good news johnt....but something you said caught my attention. You are running ethanol blend in your Enclave? I don't think the 3.6 V6 in our Enclave is a "flex fuel" engine? Are you sure that is safe for it?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
It is not designed for E85 but most gasoline around the country now has 10% ethanol in the winter I believe. We have had 10% in it for decades here in MN.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Oh yeah, I had heard that......my bad. I thought he meant E85 ethanol.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ccaats said:
Oh yeah, I had heard that......my bad. I thought he meant E85 ethanol.
we are year round 10% Ethanol in the Philly area, even at Marinas....it's causing major havoc in small 2 cycle marine engines and in large boats with fiberglass tanks. I wonder if they use "pure" gas or an ethanol 10% blend for EPA mileage figures??

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
johnt26 said:
we are year round 10% Ethanol in the Philly area, even at Marinas....it's causing major havoc in small 2 cycle marine engines and in large boats with fiberglass tanks. I wonder if they use "pure" gas or an ethanol 10% blend for EPA mileage figures??
I have used Stabil or something similar in all of my small engines since they went to Ethanol here in MN many, many years ago. I have found that carburetors will gum up without it.

I THINK they use gas without ethanol, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
zman I believe you're correct! EPA tests are run with straight gasoline (either premium or regular, whatever Manufacturer specifies. Many Imports demand Premium!!)

Makes sense as here in NY they use 10% ethanol all winter (air quality issue) and revert back to straight gas in late April , I think.

E-85 means 85% Ethanol/15% gasoline, and not all vehicles can use it! The alcohol type content will eat away at your rubber hoses/gaskets and worse! Very bad........... :confused:

For the record, Ethanol (E-85) is known to yield more HP at the expense of lousy MPG! It's cheaper to buy but after MPG are figured into the equation, averages of 15-20% MORE expensive is the final result!

Enclave is NOT an E-85 vehicle. Members in the Mid-west.........beware!

I do as zman does and use Stable in my small equipment stuff. (snowblower/mower/generator) Works Great!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
*Enclave* said:
Started out at 13, now getting 16 mostly suburban driving. I'm happy!
You are happy? How many gas stations do you own? :p

I will be happy when I get 22, since that what I had in mind and that's what EPA kind of ensured with their new 2008 calculations.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My mileage has been o.k., but does anyone know if there is a point at which a cars gas mileage can be so far off the posted values that the car manufacturer would be liable to provide a new vehicle? It seems like by posting the numbers they are making a claim and if the product does not meet that claim there should be the potential for some sort of compensation. For instance if the window sticker said it had a sun-roof and you pay for it and the car does not have a sun roof when delivered clearly the dealer/manufacture would have to rectify the situation. .

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
coop said:
You are happy? How many gas stations do you own? :p

I will be happy when I get 22, since that what I had in mind and that's what EPA kind of ensured with their new 2008 calculations.
Hi Coop. Don't you get 22 MPG or more on the highway? 16 around town?? I get that just by driving normally. Not too "jack rabbit" around town, and not above 65 on highway ;D

If I play Bullit, still about 11MPG and 18 MPG. That's flogging it good! ;)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
New2Buick said:
My mileage has been o.k., but does anyone know if there is a point at which a cars gas mileage can be so far off the posted values that the car manufacturer would be liable to provide a new vehicle? It seems like by posting the numbers they are making a claim and if the product does not meet that claim there should be the potential for some sort of compensation. For instance if the window sticker said it had a sun-roof and you pay for it and the car does not have a sun roof when delivered clearly the dealer/manufacture would have to rectify the situation. .
I think this is a really good point! The problem is this would end up in a class action suit, where we would all get $33.26 while the tort lawyers would end up with 23 million....., but someone really should be accountable to ensure at least close to what is said.

I do get better than posted highway mpg, in fact got 26.4 when driving 5 straight hours at 55 mph during my breakin period. Got a little over 24 on my way back on the same trip going 65-70. Now I drive 5 miles to work and back, up and down some hills, get 16-17 doing that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have car now 4 mos now with 2000 miles... Still getting 10-12 city (suburban town) and 20-22 highway.. And yes, I do reset the DIC b4 long trips and after filling gas tank.... Never thought the city driving would be this bad --- which is what I do most...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mtenclave08 said:
Have car now 4 mos now with 2000 miles... Still getting 10-12 city (suburban town) and 20-22 highway.. And yes, I do reset the DIC b4 long trips and after filling gas tank.... Never thought the city driving would be this bad --- which is what I do most...
I agree..the city mileage is so poor in comparison to the reasonable highway mileage, I can't remember a car/truck that behaved this way..wonder why, maybe tall gearing works well for highway??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Intersting . . . The Buick web page shows the mileage of the FWD to be 16/24 (as did my window sticker). But when you "build a vehicle", the electronic window sticker now shows 17/25. Mine just rolled past 1500 miles and we haven't taken it on any road trip yet. Mostly suburban driving averaging between 20 and 25 miles per hour has yielded 15.7 MPG with a fairly light foot. If I end up getting 23 plus on the road, I will be thrilled. We'll see.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts