EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank goodness! Though I did not want to spend any money on a new computer, I had no choice when my surprisingly reliable and durable 9 year old 2004 Dell Dimension 8400 crashed catastrophically this weekend. I replaced it with an HP laptop equipped with Windows 8, an i7 quad core cpu, and a stunning touchscreen. Suddenly, my "PC" experience is lightening fast and very Droid-like. Sometimes, one doesn't know what one is missing. ;)

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
:thumb: My 2 previous computers were laptop's and also were Dell. The last one was not nearly as reliable as the first. It crashed and burned unexpectedly. The one I have now, going on 4 years, is a Toshiba.

My husband has gone through 2 Toshiba's and he just purchased a newer laptop back in June. Have no idea what make it is, just that he said it was small, light weight with a long battery life.

Good luck with your new computer!

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Sailfish. :) My understanding is that Dell is no longer the high value and reliable brand that it used to be. The tech that was helping me claims that the Taiwanese ASUS brand is top dog among the PCs these days, but still contends that Macs are still the very best. That was his opinion. I went with HP due to the best combination of brand familiarity, price, and features among the models in stock at the local Best Buy. It also rates well per user reviews. Hopefully, it is as durable as my old Dell was.

BTW, I opted for a laptop rather than a slightly lower cost per performance desktop again for a number of reasons. First, it is so much easier to take home and set up. Second, it offers portability. Third, it facilitates the option to maintain my current computer station setup of cable modem, WiFi, WiFi printer, and telephone through the old fried Dell tower. I intend to leave and use the new laptop on the same desk where the old PC monitor had been 99% of the time, so it seems a lot like my desktop experience, just in a MUCH newer and better package. ;)

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
I also have the understand that Dell is slipping in quality.

As for laptop ease yep it is. When we were on vacation I had my laptop, husband had his. I also had my iPad and my iPhone.

Talk about being too connected to the outside world! BUT the ease of having a laptop is awesome. Here at home I can take it outside on the deck and watch the "gang of three" (Jake, Elwood and Miss Lady GaGa) run and play while enjoying the weather. On vacation I took it out onto the deck overlooking the ocean and just....actually...turned it off to just sit back and enjoy the days.

I also found that those 3 days after we returned home and found the router burned out, I actually went through a type of withdrawal. LOL and my iPhone was used a whole lot.

Enjoy your new laptop, just don't get as addicted as we seem to be in this house. This week I have decided to turn off the access to the world for a few hours each day.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Thank goodness! Though I did not want to spend any money on a new computer, I had no choice when my surprisingly reliable and durable 9 year old 2004 Dell Dimension 8400 crashed catastrophically this weekend. I replaced it with an HP laptop equipped with Windows 8, an i7 quad core cpu, and a stunning touchscreen. Suddenly, my "PC" experience is lightening fast and very Droid-like. Sometimes, one doesn't know what one is missing. ;)
That "bytes"! :happy: hope you find something REALLY good to replace it and you backed up all the "stuff" you need.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Sailfish said:
:thumb: My 2 previous computers were laptop's and also were Dell. The last one was not nearly as reliable as the first. It crashed and burned unexpectedly. The one I have now, going on 4 years, is a Toshiba.

My husband has gone through 2 Toshiba's and he just purchased a newer laptop back in June. Have no idea what make it is, just that he said it was small, light weight with a long battery life.

Good luck with your new computer!
WTH wouldn't you know a year and a day later my Toshiba crashed. I tried the restart fix and it was thinking for a while then up popped the dreaded blue screen of death.

So pissed off right now.

I need to get it to the repair shop but have workers in today and tomorrow.

:banghead:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Sailfish said:
WTH wouldn't you know a year and a day later my Toshiba crashed. I tried the restart fix and it was thinking for a while then up popped the dreaded blue screen of death.

So pissed off right now.

I need to get it to the repair shop but have workers in today and tomorrow.

:banghead:
Kitchen remodel....tree problems....now this? What more can our dear Sail handle? :mope:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
kidsenclave said:
Kitchen remodel....tree problems....now this? What more can our dear Sail handle? :mope:
The neighbors are back.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
kidsenclave said:
I am going to see if I can get it up tomorrow in safe mode with network connect. Then move all photos over to a thumb drive.

I do have it backed up online with Carbonite but would like to pull photos off if I can.

I can just use the iPad and iPhone for a while and guess put off decisions on laptop for a while.

Oh well....**** happens and there is a huge pile right now.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I have a USB disk drive that I use with software called Acronis True Image Home to backup my computer several times a week. It does not just back up the data, it is a full back up that can be used to restore in case of a virus or crash. I have needed it once already. It gives me HUGE peace of mind.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
I unplugged the laptop and pulled out the battery and left it sit for about 30 minutes.

I then put the battery back in and plugged it in to the outlet. Turned it on and it came up and didn't even state that there was a problem and to turn on in safe mode.

Right now I am responding to this from my laptop, after removing all of my photographs to a thumb drive.

Not sure what will happen next, but I will just have to wait and see if it unexpectedly shuts down again.

Perhaps with all the dust and such created from this crazy kitchen remodel is causing some problems internally. I guess I will wait and see when and if it shuts down again.

Fingers and toes and eyes crossed for a while longer before I have to either ship it off to the grave yard of doomed laptops or drop it off at a repair shop or just bite the bullet and buy a new one.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Good luck with your laptop. Backing everything up is a great idea.
I do have Carbonite for online backup. I just wanted to pull the photographs off as a precaution. Anyway I had a ton of photos saved on here going back into 2010. Which is I believe when this laptop was purchased, or perhaps 2009. One of those years and it was 2 weeks before Christmas. My present that year.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
:blob: Heading out to look at new laptops today. I think my husband is tired of my "bitching" at my current laptop when it shuts down unexpectedly. It did it twice yesterday and once this morning. So far I have been able to turn it back on without any "blue screen of death" showing up as it did the other day.

During the time I had it up yesterday afternoon I remembered to save to a thumb drive the spread sheet for the kitchen remodel and the spreadsheet for my Mother's estate.

Yea I know I have Cabonite but having a secondary back up of these two spreadsheets makes me feel so much better.

Trying to decide if I want to go back with Toshiba or another brand, like Acer.

Also what internet security program do you use? I have always used McAfee.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 2013 HP laptop, and I use Norton through my cable company at no additional charge. I have been very satisfied with both.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Back home after checking laptops available at Costo and with some serious researching to accomplish.

The Apple...screen too darn small which "nixes" that. Sighhhh.........

Stopped at Best Buy after we returned back to our neck of the woods and looked a Toshiba, HP, Dell and Lenovo's. I really want at least a 17" screen and if PC would prefer the Microsoft 8.l. Plus 8G and 1TB would be perfect.

What ever I decide on I will probably order online so it would be at least a 2 week delivery time process.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sailfish said:
Back home after checking laptops available at Costo and with some serious researching to accomplish.

The Apple...screen too darn small which "nixes" that. Sighhhh.........

Stopped at Best Buy after we returned back to our neck of the woods and looked a Toshiba, HP[/color], Dell and Lenovo's. I really want at least a 17" screen[/color] and if PC would prefer the Microsoft 8.l[/color]. Plus 8G[/color] and 1TB[/color] would be perfect.

What ever I decide on I will probably order online so it would be at least a 2 week delivery time process.
That's what I've been enjoying for the past year. Plus, mine has a touchscreen[/color]. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
9 Participants
Oliver
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing