EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
As a software developer and network manager, I have bought several Dell laptops and desktops from their outlet store in the past several years. These are sometimes new machines which were returned, or refurbished used machines.

Go to this site: http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=2201&c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh and check the required specs in the left column. You can get some very good buys there.

As to Norton vs. McAfee vs. others, the overwhelming majority of people in my tech community hate Norton and McAfee - will NOT have them on their PCs. They tend to cause more problems than they are supposed to solve because of their sheer size and do-everything-and-more mentality. Truth is, in Windows 8.1, their built-in firewall and anti-virus are excellent.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
That's what I've been enjoying for the past year. Plus, mine has a touchscreen[/color]. ;)
That is also on my list! I was playing around with a couple today. One was an Apple and another one a Toshiba.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
rockyp said:
As a software developer and network manager, I have bought several Dell laptops and desktops from their outlet store in the past several years. These are sometimes new machines which were returned, or refurbished used machines.

Go to this site: http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=2201&c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh and check the required specs in the left column. You can get some very good buys there.

As to Norton vs. McAfee vs. others, the overwhelming majority of people in my tech community hate Norton and McAfee - will NOT have them on their PCs. They tend to cause more problems than they are supposed to solve because of their sheer size and do-everything-and-more mentality. Truth is, in Windows 8.1, their built-in firewall and anti-virus are excellent.
Thanks I will check into this!!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
rockyp said:

What kind of problems do they cause? My laptop seems to work flawlessly with great fluidity and speed all of the time. I wish that my Samsung Galaxy 4 were as bug free.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
They cause a lot of problems when developing software - they just get in the way. Possibly (probably) fewer problems for the normal user...

·
Registered
265 Posts
very true Rockyp. unfortunatley, unless your prepared to run linux, and the average person isnt, then most people need that level of security. sure windows 8.1 is better at protection but 8.1 is still unstable when gaming. thats why i bought a new copy of windows 7 for my new pc build. asus p8b-75 motherboard, intel i5, exactly the same chip as the i7 with the multi threading turned off. i dont do CAD or audio video editing so the i7 would have been a waste for me, but matched with a R7850 twin frozr gpu, 32 gb corsair vengeance ram, 6 noctua fans and liquid cooling, this beast runs any game at full spec. lately i would recommend lenovo or HP, the top two vendors in the world. toshiba and acer are brands i would recommend also or you can go to pcpartspicker.com where you can build and price the parts to build your own pc all from the one website. i build a new pc about every 3 years and i have buying and building my own rigs for nearly 30 years. i remember when dell was a decent budget brand that sold average computers that worked to average people. it was when dell tried to enter the high performance gaming market that it all fell apart. fancy boxes with blue lights, 12 month old performance tech parts made by budget vendors and crammed into proprietary cases with little to no upgrading potential gave them a bad name, just like what happened to compaq.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are a lot developing companies who developing different products for FinTech, Madtech, Healthcare industries and also e-commerce software solutions. It is too important to discuss all the options and prices before breaking the deal.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts