EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

In case you were one of the handful of people who have experienced some odd forum behavior over the past 24 hours, I want to offer my apologies. I've been using enclaveforum.net to test some new caching and compression techniques to improve the performance of our forums. The end result for everyone should be MUCH faster page loads and a better overall experience while using the forums.

To do this, I was testing on a private template that regular users on here don't see, but I made a mistake and replaced an htaccess file in the main directory instead of the temp directory at one point. Anyone who happened to visit the site during that 5-10 minute window could have gotten (and cached) a bad version of the stylesheet and made the site look all messed up. I -think- I've flushed it out by now, but in case your view of the site is incredibly mangled (basically all black and white without background images or formatting), try closing and reopening your browser and I think things will return to normal for you.

For everyone else, you should already be experiencing faster loading and better caching. I'll continue to make small improvements over the next few days, so please let me know if you see things going very wrong (especially if the site becomes un-viewable).

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Based on the thread title, I was expecting an apology about somebody's personal behavior (although this board would not be the right place for such a thread). :happy:

Thanks for the website performance enhancement. The site does seem to be loafing faster, but I had been attributing that to the significantly faster Firefox 4.0. I guess the two enhancements can be conjunctively improving the forum's speed and enjoyment factor. :thumb:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also downloaded firefox 4 and it does have some speed improvements as well. However, for some reason my fonts all look a little strange, more aliased / jaggedy or something.

These caching and compression improvements are more server side stuff though, not so much browser related. It will offload a lot of bandwidth from the servers and allow browsers to more accurately cache images and external files (like javascript and stylesheets) better. I also built my first "css image sprites" which combine several small images into one larger image that the browser uses a portion of to build various parts of the site. That way, the browser doesn't have to make as many calls back to the server as before.

·
Registered
881 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Based on the thread title, I was expecting an apology about somebody's personal behavior (although this board would not be the right place for such a thread). :happy:

Thanks for the website performance enhancement. The site does seem to be loafing faster, but I had been attributing that to the significantly faster Firefox 4.0. I guess the two enhancements can be conjunctively improving the forum's speed and enjoyment factor. :thumb:
Gold, was that a Freudian slip? Or was it the BB? :)

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
ROFLOL!!! It is always the "BB". ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts