EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

What year is your Buick Enclave? And are you having issues with Headlights, Radio, Amp?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since they hit the show room floor 2008 I have always wanted a Buick Enclave. In 2015 my dream came true and I purchased my first Buick I even paid for the extended warranty. I was so excited "Made in USA!" Buick stood for something "Quality" I actually worked for a Dealer Ship in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and sold Buick, GMC, and Chevrolet for several years prior to owning my own. I am sooooo disappointed in General Motors ESPECIALLY after reading over the years of feedback in the forums and online. I thought my cars problems were somehow unique...I figured I'd eventually have some issues from normal wear, but I never thought I'd discover owners experiencing the exact SAME ISSUES in the same make and model vehicles year after year "08,09,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18" I check for recalls from the manufacturer....I take my Buick in and check with the dealer.....Crickets!!! Why are Buick Enclave owners still dealing with the SAME headlight, radio, and amplifier issues? OMG! It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure this stuff out! General Motors recognizes an issue in the subsequent year make and models and resolves it for future makes and models.

I am so frustrated and disappointed!

I have five children and a wife in need of new cars and I never thought that I'd have to take my business to foreigners.

·
Super Moderator
582 Posts
2013. Zero issues with headlights, radio or amp. Purchased with 35k in 2016, have 70k on it now. Other than wear items like brakes, wipers and oil changes all I've had to replace was the rear shocks, which was a 30 minute DIY job.

As has been stated many times, forums are not a good indicator of a vehicle's reliability, especially for non-enthusiast vehicles like unibody SUV's. 99% of Traverse/Acadia/Enclave owners are never going to join a forum when they aren't having issues so people with issues grossly over-represent the posts here. I'm not saying there aren't certain things that are more likely to go wrong, because there are with literally every vehicle made.

·
Registered
52 Posts
2011, Zero issues with the Radio, Lights and Amp. However, since I bought it less than 2 years ago at 104,000 kms (62,000 miles), I've put 40,000 kms on it... replaced front motor mount,PS pump under warranty, AC Discharge and Suction lines this summer, blew a rear shock about a week ago, replaced them (no biggy, 30 minutes to replace both), but then yesterday on the way home from work, AC Compressor decided to seize on me..... That may have broke the camel's back for me on the Enclave. Currently shopping around to replace the E, either with an Explorer or a Highlander.... or even a Sienna.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
kevcol1974, From my perspective (44 years, automotive service) it's hard to fault a part that has lasted for 90,000. miles. Manufacturers could produce or source parts that would last an extremely long time, but that would put them out of business or force them to charge a much higher price for their product. Every manufacturer depends on a lot of parts suppliers to build their vehicles. As such, when these parts fail, people blame the manufacturer, but these parts suppliers supply many manufacturers. Look at the current air bag situation. Most major auto manufacturers are sourcing their air bags from that Japanese manufacturer. This keeps everyone in business, you have your Ford guys, your Chevy guys, your Mopar guys and your Japanese and European guys. Good luck whichever way you go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ibis1, I know what you are saying, and that is from a guy that bought his first car at 13 (a 1965 Oldsmobile Dynamic88 Convertible) and have been "under the hood" ever since (that was in 1988). I currently work for Toyota Motor Manufacturing, and know what you are talking about. But I have also changed vehicles MANY times (too many or my wife's liking) and have found "trends" with certain manufacturers... I have had a few GMs over my years (2 S-10s (87,91), 99 Z24, 08 Montanna and the 11 E aside from the D88) I have had multiple Fords (66 Mustang 289 Coupe, 86 Mustang GT Convertible, 99 Contour SVT, 03 Windstar, 96 Probe GT, Wife's 06 Escape), many Mazdas (02 Protege, 03 Protege5, 04 3 GT, 07 CX-9) among others (98 Impreza, 00 Impresza 2.5 RS, 04 Quest, 04 Sienna, 07 Odyssey, 87 Sundance Turbo, 87 Integra, 90 Integra, and more) So I have alot to compare. In the time periods I had some, they proved non-problematic... others not so much. I grew up a Ford guy, and know the issues they had, an what they fixed. GM as well, thy improved over the years, but have a ways to go still. I have had the E for 14 months, and the repairs its needed, now needs and will need (getting a hard shift 2-3 now, steering gear is leaking) are beyond "reasonable", even if i don't have a history on it. 160,000kms (100K miles) a vehicle should be free from major issues. I have found GM vehicles don't get there, most Fords, Toyotas and Mazdas don't have this problem. As a driver, I've enjoyed my Mazdas the most every day, Mustangs were just plain fun, but the Toyotas have been the most reliable and problem free (Wife now has a 15 Rav4) Honda/Acura I avoid now, they just rust the body out....
If I couldn't wrench on these cars myself, some would not be worth repairing, the E included. Replacing the AC Compressor is a $2000 job here, Steering Rack is $2200 (already quoted), and Transmission... we all know already there. It all adds up, and many times its part design, not the supplier that made the part.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bought our 2008 CXL new and now has 235K miles. This is just our backup vehicle today, replaced by 2016 VW "dieselgate" TDI Touareg which we love. The following are the things we experienced that come to mind which are common besides normal maintenance. Most everything fixed myself except the tranny and cam tensioners, with help from the forum (y)
  • transmission wave plates under warranty and then years later a reman transmission due to solenoid valves.
  • cam tensioners replaced $$$
  • sunroof leaks due to clogged drains causing many secondary problems such as; failed blower motor, failed radio amp, failed battery cable, failed pass smart air bag sensor, failed pass seat belt retractor.
  • Failed front fuel tank vent solenoid twice for emissions code.
  • Failed electric fuel pump in tank.
  • Failed rear fuel tank vent solenoid for emissions code.
  • Failed throttle position sensor replaced whole assembly
  • Failed power steering pump and rack updated to new fluids.
  • Failed A/C lines under vehicle rubbing caused leaks
  • Failed A/C vent door actuators
  • Failed low mileage water pump leak under warranty very difficult access.
  • Failed washer fluid heater recall.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have had 3 Enclaves that i ordered 2011-14 and current 17 and non have gone back for warranty or repairs and all i do is wash/wax and have oil changes and fluid changes done at my favorite repair shop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My first American car and it has been an experience to say the least. I have pretty much figured out the hard way that mechanical working knowledge is a requirement of Buick ownership. Thank goodness for this forum and youtube. A girl had better know her stuff when dealing with dealerships and private mechanic shops.

I have been password locked out of the forum for a while but I have relied upon the info here for many issues. I have not had your issues on my 2011, but I have had plenty others.

·
Registered
300 Posts
2013. Zero issues with headlights, radio or amp. Purchased with 35k in 2016, have 70k on it now. Other than wear items like brakes, wipers and oil changes all I've had to replace was the rear shocks, which was a 30 minute DIY job.

As has been stated many times, forums are not a good indicator of a vehicle's reliability, especially for non-enthusiast vehicles like unibody SUV's. 99% of Traverse/Acadia/Enclave owners are never going to join a forum when they aren't having issues so people with issues grossly over-represent the posts here. I'm not saying there aren't certain things that are more likely to go wrong, because there are with literally every vehicle made.
I have the same car with the same mileage and, as you, no issues, just routine maintenance. I still love the car after 7 years of ownership.

·
Registered
65 Posts
2009 Buick Enclave with 90,000 miles, had the transmission wave plate (covered under warranty) and the front HVAC actuators (2 of them) fail, nothing else. Was very happy with it. I agree with the assessment of JayS, forums are joined by people who've experienced problems, and there are good folks in these forums that help out based on their own experiences. Those that haven't had issues have no reason to join these forums, so you don't see that group. Buick's aren't perfect, but they are not at the bottom of the heap either. Same with the Enclave model.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What headlamp, radio or amp issues? First I heard of this. 175,000 miles on a 2008... pretty **** reliable for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts