EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried making a copy of the DVD yet? I heard it costs like $300 to replace! I planned on trying to copy it once I get mine. Just curious if anyone has tried.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
you get 2 free upgrades a year so, why do you want to copy it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
I know of people that have supposedly copied NAV DVD's. They have done it the "usual" way using software that overrides the copy protection on commercially available DVD's.

I think you are actually allowed to order 2 updates for free, not 2 annually.

The only reason I see to copy them is if you want to rotate upgrades with someone else so you in effect get twice as many upgrades.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Or to simply make a backup for yourself, so that if your original is scratched badly or somehow misplaced you don't have to waste one of your upgrades prematurely on a replacement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
osli said:
Or to simply make a backup for yourself, so that if your original is scratched badly or somehow misplaced you don't have to waste one of your upgrades prematurely on a replacement.
True.

I don't have NAV. Is there any reason to take the disk out, thus scratching it??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
A constantly running DVD is like any other part, it is prone to wear and tear. In this case since the DVD drive is moving in a moving vehicle and that all it takes is a nasty bump (i.e. Pothole bounce) and the DVD could get ruined. It is my understanding that the DVD must be in the drive for the NAV to work. So do the math .... over a year of running 2-3 hours a day that is 700-1000 hours of spin time. Anything could happen.

Better to protect yourself than wish you had.

Besides I like the comment by Zman ... never thought of that. Have you actually tried this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
comiccolec said:
Besides I like the comment by Zman ... never thought of that. Have you actually tried this?
Which part? Copying DVD's or NAV DVD's??? Regular DVD's - yes, NAV - no.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
Ok, I am a NAV virgin, and we are trying to decide whether to order NAV or not. Does the NAV DVD go in the same slot as you play CDs or movie DVDs in? If so, how can you navigate without taking out your music cd or movie DVD?

And, while I'm asking....if you get the DVD entertainment and NAV system, can people watch a DVD movie AND the front seat passengers still listen to a CD? Or is it all the same slot?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
The NAV DVD is installed in a special slot behind the NAV unit. The NAV unit rotates out to allow you to install the DVD. Not sure about the rest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
dwhsd said:
Hi all,

I read something about 3 weeks ago. GM is going to begin charging ~$150 for new map DVD's. The article said GM is doing this to make Onstar more attractive. Here is the link to the story:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/garmin-vs-onstar-gm-makes-garmin-a-better-dealis-onstar-next-ar37467.html
Wow, I had not heard that. I just assumed that two updates were included since that is what all the owners of 07 Acadias were saying. I don't have NAV so I can not comment on what is said in GM literature for 2008's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ccaats said:
Ok, I am a NAV virgin, and we are trying to decide whether to order NAV or not. Does the NAV DVD go in the same slot as you play CDs or movie DVDs in? If so, how can you navigate without taking out your music cd or movie DVD?

And, while I'm asking....if you get the DVD entertainment and NAV system, can people watch a DVD movie AND the front seat passengers still listen to a CD? Or is it all the same slot?
The nav DVD uses a separate slot behind the screen (as noted by another user).

The regular DVD player and CD player use the same slot above the screen. You can't listen to a CD while a DVD is being played (and visa versa). However, you can listen to the radio or listen to the Aux input (which would be used as an iPod input) while a DVD is being played.

Another option is using the inputs in the second row to play a DVD from a portable player. That way you can use the CD player and have a DVD playing at the same time. Kind of sucks, but what can you do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
i thought that dvd player had its own slot ??? :confused: im getting the headrest ones and i know they have their own slot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
The ones in the headrest do, but the factory overhead shares a slot between DVD and CD. I wish they had added another slot, but if we can listen to the thousands of songs on our iPod as well as XM radio I don't think it is anything but a very minor annoyance for us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
dwhsd said:
Hi all,

I read something about 3 weeks ago. GM is going to begin charging ~$150 for new map DVD's. The article said GM is doing this to make Onstar more attractive. Here is the link to the story:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/garmin-vs-onstar-gm-makes-garmin-a-better-dealis-onstar-next-ar37467.html
No more free updates? BOOOO!!!

At least I got a free update for my TomTom while I could, but we'll probably order NAV anyway since we want the "cool factor" and backup camera
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
comiccolec said:
A constantly running DVD is like any other part, it is prone to wear and tear. In this case since the DVD drive is moving in a moving vehicle and that all it takes is a nasty bump (i.e. Pothole bounce) and the DVD could get ruined. It is my understanding that the DVD must be in the drive for the NAV to work. So do the math .... over a year of running 2-3 hours a day that is 700-1000 hours of spin time. Anything could happen.

Better to protect yourself than wish you had.

Besides I like the comment by Zman ... never thought of that. Have you actually tried this?
I can see a reason for backup could be DVD getting stolen at the car wash or service center or at valet parking, i.e, anytime you do not have the Enclave in your possession.

I don't think it can ever get scratchs while it is in the NAV system, unless you get in to a severe crash or bring the tire side up. Optical media doesnt get in touch with the reading mechanism and they are design to bear the bumps on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
coopermine said:
I can see a reason for backup could be DVD getting stolen at the car wash or service center or at valet parking, i.e, anytime you do not have the Enclave in your possession.

I don't think it can ever get scratchs while it is in the NAV system, unless you get in to a severe crash or bring the tire side up. Optical media doesnt get in touch with the reading mechanism and they are design to bear the bumps on the road.
coop, lock that glove compartment ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
MsS42 said:
coop, lock that glove compartment ;D
I thought the Nav DVD goes behind the screen. I could be wrong, I have yet to get the vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
coopermine said:
I thought the Nav DVD goes behind the screen. I could be wrong, I have yet to get the vehicle.
it does, but you can take it out put in glove compartment and lock it.... btw, i cant stand vallet and i avoid them whenever possible, they drive like bats outta **** and don't want them driving my cars plus those bumbs have the unmitigated gall to change my radio stations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
MsS42 said:
coop, lock that glove compartment ;D
You may laugh, but at Behlman GMC in St. Louis, I was unable to demo the Nav in an Acadia because the salesman couldn't locate the NAV disc. He casually mentioned they don't keep them in the cars because they started disappearing..

I left without a demo.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top