EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and am considering an Enclave. I currently have a Cadillac SRX that I love, but it is getting lots of miles (I travel a lot). The 2 main things I hate to give up on my Cadillac are (1) the magnetic ride control and (2) using all the nav features while driving. So I have 2 questions, does anyone know if they will be adding MRC to the Enclave? And, does anyone know any work arounds to the nav features (including being able to watch a DVD) while the car is in motion. Typically changing the route and such and watching DVD's gets locked out on my SRX while the vehicle is in motion, but I have found 2 fixes (series of buttons I hit on the unit) to activate each of these while moving. I know for Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades there is a box you can install to allow these features to work. Anything like this for the Enclave? Thanks...

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
smithb said:
I am new to the forum and am considering an Enclave. I currently have a Cadillac SRX that I love, but it is getting lots of miles (I travel a lot). The 2 main things I hate to give up on my Cadillac are (1) the magnetic ride control and (2) using all the nav features while driving. So I have 2 questions, does anyone know if they will be adding MRC to the Enclave? And, does anyone know any work arounds to the nav features (including being able to watch a DVD) while the car is in motion. Typically changing the route and such and watching DVD's gets locked out on my SRX while the vehicle is in motion, but I have found 2 fixes (series of buttons I hit on the unit) to activate each of these while moving. I know for Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades there is a box you can install to allow these features to work. Anything like this for the Enclave? Thanks...
I don't know about the MRC, but there is an after market do it yourself kit that plugs in to the back of the radio called a lockpic that is sold by coastal tech. This unlocks all of the nav features so you can scroll and change destinations etc. while moving. It also allows a DVD on the front screen when moving as well as unlocking the XM radio features. There is a lot of info on this in the forum. Use the search box on the home page and put in GM lockpic and you should find it. There are several people who have posted step by step instructions. And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wow, I did a quick google search and that MRC sounds awesome! It looks like the Buick Lucerne has it now...not sure if the Enclave does (probably not since it was not mentioned anywhere) or if there are plans to add it...

·
Registered
509 Posts
*Enclave* said:
Wow, I did a quick google search and that MRC sounds awesome! It looks like the Buick Lucerne has it now...not sure if the Enclave does (probably not since it was not mentioned anywhere) or if there are plans to add it...
No, it doesn't. It's a great system, but the Enclave with standard shocks and struts already has one of the best combinations of ride/handling possible. The other issue is, while great, the MRC shocks and struts are very expensive to replace, just like any past electronic shock/strut used on something like a Cadillac sedan with them for years. So, you hit 100k+ and things start feeling floppy...and be prepared for one LARGE bill.

No plans to add it to the Enclave or Lambdas (and as is, they get so many compliments from everyone in regards to their suspension tuning)...except for MAYBE if something like a possible Super model were to come out in years and time to come with more features, power, etc. That's only a guess.

-------------------------------

But aside from that. For the Nav, and to unlock things in motion, the ONLY choice is the Lockpick from CoastalETech. They also offer models that allow you to add-on a Bluetooth adapter, and have it work through the car's Onstar phone controls simultaneously. This is the same "box" mentioned in regard to the Tahoe/Yukon, etc. systems.

No more days of the "secret code' you could enter to unlock DVD and other functions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
NAV is one thing, but DVD while driving...

There is a really good reason why you can't watch a DVD while the car is moving, you should be watching the ROAD!!!! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would like to add all the "in motion" features as well.

We can override all the lock-outs on the nav and DVD in our current Toyota van. My wife enjoys watching the DVDs the kids watch on long trips, the driver just needs the disipline to look at the road and listen to the movie....kinda like a book on tape.

It's too bad that the auto companies don't do something such as make the Nav tilt away from the driver if there is a front seat passenger and allow the passenger to program the nav or watch the movies while the Navi is "tilted" away from the driver..........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
caddycruiser said:
No, it doesn't. It's a great system, but the Enclave with standard shocks and struts already has one of the best combinations of ride/handling possible. The other issue is, while great, the MRC shocks and struts are very expensive to replace, just like any past electronic shock/strut used on something like a Cadillac sedan with them for years. So, you hit 100k+ and things start feeling floppy...and be prepared for one LARGE bill.
Actually, the MRC has no moving valve parts, unlike any other electronic shock system. The only way the shocks can "feel floppy" is to physically break (ie complete failure), and the fluid cannot "wear out". It adjusts to the actual car's performance (body roll, yaw, steering angle, etc), so it simply uses enough current through the electro-magnet to get the correct result. There are no "preset values" that work well at first, but then don't work as well as the shock wears. I just looked it up and the replacment cost is $469.72 front and $448.41 rear (~$1800 plus labor, a little more than 3x the cost of standard shocks), which on a $55k (or on the enclave $45k) vehicle is pretty insignificant, especially after 100k miles. Trust me, this suspension is awesome. I am permanently spoiled. I actually wrote a few of my favorite stories, but deleted them because the post was too long, but it is so nice, you forget you have it until you have a passenger that braces him/herself for a turn or bump, but then feels dumb when it turns out to be nothing at all (ie no jolts and no body roll). This happens all the time.

Thanks for the info on the coastaletech lock pick, that leaves MRC as my only sticking point. If the Buick adds MRC I am definitely getting one. I don't know if anyone has seen them, but I think it was Toshiba that developed a bi-directional LCD for cars (and actually tri-directional as well for the back seat), so when the driver looks from that angle they see one thing, but from the passengers' angle they see something else. I saw it in pop sci or pop mech over a year ago, so I am surprised no one has installed them yet. I don't know how they would determine who gets to use the touchscreen though. Anyway, thanks again for the info. Oh, I hate to add this late to a post under a different topic, but can anyone tell me the actual mileage they are getting? My Caddi hovers around 15 for all my stop and go driving in a small town, and around 18-19 at 75mph on the highway.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm surprised that with how great the MRC is that Buick did not use the technology on the Enclave, UNLESS the technology they used is just as good or better. Have you done a test drive yet smithb? I would like to hear your impressions...and don't worry about posts being long, I would like to hear your stories...people that don't want to can just skip over it!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Having just owned a Caddy SRX and kept that forums name, I can attest to the incredible, Corvette-like handling, that it gave the SRX! Even with the Northstar V-8's weight, upfront! However, it was a $2k option
and honestly, the Enclave handles 90-95% as well, even taking it's extra weight into consideration, (about 500 lbs!!)

I would not go back as the ride firmness in the SRX was much too "solid" for me. Buick rides 100% smoother/cushier, on all roads. In my opinion, and all who rode with us ,so far!! ;)
My 2 cents.........

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Smithb,

I pay very close attention to mpg with gas at $3.27 here. IN my breakin period of 500 miles (only with the AWD version), I went on a 200 mile drive, at 55 mph I got 26.5 on the highway for the whole trip. This was calculated by hand as well as the trip computer. On the way home from the same trip at 65-70 mph, I got 24.5 mpg. Pretty great I think for this size of vehicle, better than the Pilot I traded in on it. Yesterday drove from Albany to Sprignfield Mass over the Berkshires at 73 mph on cruise and got 20.5. Hope this helps. PS. Back and forth to work, errands to town etc, I get between 17 and 18.5 on average.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Having just owned a Caddy SRX and kept that forums name, I can attest to the incredible, Corvette-like handling, that it gave the SRX! Even with the Northstar V-8's weight, upfront! However, it was a $2k option
and honestly, the Enclave handles 90-95% as well, even taking it's extra weight into consideration, (about 500 lbs!!)

I would not go back as the ride firmness in the SRX was much too "solid" for me. Buick rides 100% smoother/cushier, on all roads. In my opinion, and all who rode with us ,so far!! ;)
My 2 cents.........
Excellent review from a former SRX'er :thumb:

It's a great system, but at the same time, few if any have even brought up remotely a complaint or even suggestion to improve the current Enclave's suspension, and it's great combination of a fabulous ride without float, and nice handling for the size and weight. It isn't meant to carve the autocross, but neither is an SRX, so it all comes down to the drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts