EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This is a question for those who purchased the NAV. How is the quality of this NAV unit? Are you satisfied with the directions it gives, and the time it takes to readjust when you go off route?

-TG

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a base model TomTom before my New Enclave Nav. The Enclave system is much better, speaks the road names, provide phone numbers and best of all it does not need the suction cup. Seems very accurate and user friendly. Not cheap but worth the cost IMO.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'd choose my Garmin 680 over the current NAV system in my Acadia (believe Enclave the same) - primarily for two reasons:

1) MSN Updates feature (traffic / movies / gas prices - and now news...)
Rumor has it the '09s will have traffic updates and I'm hoping our current NAV's (07/08) can be updated/upgraded with the feature. Sadly, the DVD Nav systems have to be on the demise. I wouldn't be surprised if the 09's come out with harddrives.

2) Street - AND - turn directions.
NAV system does provide street names on monitor, but limited audibly. When it tells me to turn right, I instictively want to know the street name prior to turn. On the Nav, that requires me to look down at the screen. The updated NAV disc (database v6.3) was a HUGE improvement over the 2005 DVD. The Nav system was a complete bust until the update was provided.

3) Garmin does not lockout upon vehicle movement. Although the NAV lockout is a great safety reminder, I ended up purchasing the GMX-320 to "inhibit" this "feature"

NAV BONUS/Plus:
1) HUD provides directional arrows and distance indicators
Unfortunately, I believe this is an Acadia only feature. Would be even better if street names were identified in text on HUD upon turn arrow display. I could then live without the audible street name. There's sufficient room for the text, and could emulate similarly to radio content (song/artist is displayed in HUD for first 2 seconds of new song).

2) Phone number locates destination. Nice bonus not found on my Garmin.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
TourGuide said:
Hi Everyone,

This is a question for those who purchased the NAV. How is the quality of this NAV unit? Are you satisfied with the directions it gives, and the time it takes to readjust when you go off route?

-TG
I don't like it as well as the NAV I had in my '04 MDX. But it is pretty good. I don't like not being able to enter data while in motion, and whoever made the stupid decision to not sort the address book... ???

·
Registered
410 Posts
Arpadge said:
The Enclave system is much better, speaks the road names,
?? The only road names mine speaks is the interstates, it does not seem to say any other road name, even numbered roads. Am I missing a feature?

·
Registered
333 Posts
After having several other navs the Enclaves is the worst. It doesn't speak street names, have traffic integration, doesn't sort the address book at all (it should give multiple options to sorts), it's not user friendly.

We had a nav in our Toyota, same as Lexus, we have one in our Infinity and we have a Garmin portable unit. They all have good points and bad. The Enclave doesn't have any features the others don't do better, we got it for the entertainment system, camera interface and the Nav works, GM could do a bunch better.

Reference the update of the data, I'll look into that to see if that helps!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
johnt26 said:
After having several other navs the Enclaves is the worst. It doesn't speak street names, have traffic integration, doesn't sort the address book at all (it should give multiple options to sorts), it's not user friendly.
I completely agree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the nav software probably resides on the DVD with the data, and is loaded when the DVD boots up. If that's the case, it sems fairly straightforward to me (a software developer) that the programming could be changed/improved fairly easily with the issuance of the next DVD update.

Even if the programming resides somewher in the depths of the Enclave (and it might, alongside the favorite and previous destinations), it should be easily flashable to a newer version, ala the transmission shifting pattern.

·
Registered
410 Posts
TourGuide said:
Are you satisfied with the directions it gives, and the time it takes to readjust when you go off route?
Figure maybe it's about time to actually address your question :)

I'm satisfied with the directions it gives and the time it takes to readjust. I think most of us are.

The UI, OTOH, well, 'nuff said.

·
Registered
661 Posts
rockyp said:
I completely agree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the nav software probably resides on the DVD with the data, and is loaded when the DVD boots up. If that's the case, it sems fairly straightforward to me (a software developer) that the programming could be changed/improved fairly easily with the issuance of the next DVD update.
Do not know where the OS resides in onstar, but if it is similiar to Honda, it is not in the DVD. My Honda Pilot Nav died under warranty. They replaced all the electronics but left me the same DVD. The system operated vastly differently. I would equate the DVD to simply data, nothing to do with how the system operates. Just MHO, based on experience with ;)a different brand.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
TourGuide said:
Hi Everyone,

-TG
Count me as "adequately" satisfied. I have a Garmin also. Very happy with. Screen on Enclave is large & clear. Pix/graphics are great when they show a 2nd lane available for your directed travel. (I would otherwise get ALL the way to left or right lane)

Best part is, I don't worry about the most common crime, now related to EBAY: smash and grab the GPS of the dash! You say take it with me? Lock it up? That gets "old" real quick when you make a few stops in a row. And they even think they see suction cup ring marks on glass, they break your window to check the glove box! You lose either way. Yes they can steal the whole factory Nav also, but it's far less likely as a crime of opportunity. (I'm a Homeland Electronic Security Contractor)

Anyway, we love/need the back-up camera :thumb:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Count me as "adequately" satisfied. I have a Garmin also. Very happy with. Screen on Enclave is large & clear. Pix/graphics are great when they show a 2nd lane available for your directed travel. (I would otherwise get ALL the way to left or right lane)

Best part is, I don't worry about the most common crime, now related to EBAY: smash and grab the GPS of the dash! You say take it with me? Lock it up? That gets "old" real quick when you make a few stops in a row. And they even think they see suction cup ring marks on glass, they break your window to check the glove box! You lose either way. Yes they can steal the whole factory Nav also, but it's far less likely as a crime of opportunity. (I'm a Homeland Electronic Security Contractor)

Anyway, we love/need the back-up camera :thumb:
Are you working along the southern border? ;D

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will be taking delivery in the next two weeks and I have been trying to get detailed info on the Nav System. The info states that is functional in only the major Canadian cities. What happens when you travel outside of these locations? I was hoping it would work more like Microsoft Streets & Trips on my laptop. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has the unit and their experience using it as a navigation tool on long trips as I am planning a trip from Eastern Ontario to the Boston area.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I give the Enclave NAV a B-. :-\
Hard drive is very slow ... when entering letters or digirs it takes too long th be ready to accept the next one.
Address book feature stinks.
And why oh why can't you enter a destination via phone #? (my Pacifica had this feature).
The '08 Cadillac CTS has a hard drive based system with satellite updates ... maybe the '09 Enclave will have this improved system.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Paul_L said:
I will be taking delivery in the next two weeks and I have been trying to get detailed info on the Nav System. The info states that is functional in only the major Canadian cities. What happens when you travel outside of these locations? I was hoping it would work more like Microsoft Streets & Trips on my laptop. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has the unit and their experience using it as a navigation tool on long trips as I am planning a trip from Eastern Ontario to the Boston area.
I went to Boston recently and it worked well. But I wasn't coming from Canada. Mine is not here, but I think Canada and USA were on same DVD disc? That you'd have to look at screen Region choices to see.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I give the nav a "so so" rating in the turn by turn directions category. Mine seems to like to take the scenic routes when we use it. Maybe it was developed for taxi drivers so they could collect more money. I've been very disappointed with this at times. I entered my mother's address just for fun, and it had me turning on all these bizarre side streets. It was embarrassing because I was trying to show it off to my mom. But when we took a road trip and really needed it, it got us to where we were going. Don't know if it was the shortest route but at least it got us there. So I'm curious if anyone else has tested the turn by turn locally, to see what routes it takes to your familiar destinations.

·
Registered
35 Posts
newtobuick said:
I give the Enclave NAV a B-. :-\
Hard drive is very slow ... when entering letters or digirs it takes too long th be ready to accept the next one.
Address book feature stinks.
And why oh why can't you enter a destination via phone #? (my Pacifica had this feature).
The '08 Cadillac CTS has a hard drive based system with satellite updates ... maybe the '09 Enclave will have this improved system.
I've been able to input business phone numbers and it works.

Overall, I've been happy with it. There were two times where it didn't have a street or exact address but it got me close enough. I normally use the audio guidance since my son likes to hear it. He's young enough to look for the next exit that she lists and enjoys spotting it.

So far it hasn't sent me on any wacky routes and I've actually been impressed when I purposely take a wrong turn how it finds another route to get me back on course without just telling me "turn around dummy you took a wrong turn".

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Atfirst, I was quite disappointed in the nav compared to my '04 MDX. I still think the MDX is better, but I'm getting used to the way this one works, and I find it is in many ways quite good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've heard that Honda/Acura Navs are the best in the industry. If so then the Enclave's Nav certainly shouldn't compare to them. However, I agree that the Enclave's NAV is pretty good in itself. Nothing spectacular but nothing horrible either and there's a few neat things sprinkled in such that I'd say it's good overall. I just wish it was possible to search for destinations while in motion. I know the reason why they limited it. However, they can obviously sense when an adult passenger is in the passengers seat (passenger air bag On/Off sensor). If they could tie it in such that it would allow you full access in motion when there was a passenger detected in the car then that would be good enough. That's my only real complaint about the NAV. In fact, my only real complaint about the entire vehicle is that and the lack of bluetooth. Otherwise, I love everything else about it.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
netmag said:
I've heard that Honda/Acura Navs are the best in the industry. If so then the Enclave's Nav certainly shouldn't compare to them.
I'm sorry, but could you explain this statement. Why shouldn't we compare them? Should not GM strive to compare with the best, should not we all try to be the best? To me that statement makes no sense. I had a Pilot with NAv that I traded for my Enclave, almost everything about the Enclave is better than the Pilot (tranny/engine match and nav being the obvious exceptions), why should I not expect my nav in the Enclave, a $10,000 more expensive vehicle to be as good as the Honda?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts