EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Enclave and my navigation screen will not come on at times and the. After 15-20 minutes of driving it will come on. Obviously when it doesn’t start up my radio and rear camera don’t work. It also effects my turn signals. Local dealership says I need a whole new system - $1,500, On a 5 year old vehicle. I don’t think so. Has anyone else had this issue and been able to fix it without replacing the whole system? I have had nothing but trouble with my car in the last year. Starting to think I won’t ever buy a Buick again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had the same issue, but on our 2011 Ram pickup truck. What happens is the ignition key doesn't turn all the way back from Start to Run, so a bunch of items don't work. Wiggling the ignition key fixes it every time.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I have a 2014 Enclave and my navigation screen will not come on at times and the. After 15-20 minutes of driving it will come on. Obviously when it doesn’t start up my radio and rear camera don’t work. It also effects my turn signals. Local dealership says I need a whole new system - $1,500, On a 5 year old vehicle. I don’t think so. Has anyone else had this issue and been able to fix it without replacing the whole system? I have had nothing but trouble with my car in the last year. Starting to think I won’t ever buy a Buick again.
A lot of our radios with NAV are screwed up. My hardly works 80% of the time. If it does come on with the map, chances are 15 minutes later, it goes into disc read error. I found an online repair place for head units, and they want $300.00 to check it out.
But, it's not going to deter my decision not to buy Buick again.....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well, like i said many times on these forums. You can not own these modern car with out an extended warranty. The electronics are a major problem. Having to replace a radio is not exclusive to Buick. My Wife's BMW a few years back had too have the radio replaced at $25000 under warranty. That paid for the warranty plus. She now drives a Buick Lacrosse Premium AWD.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A lot of our radios with NAV are screwed up. My hardly works 80% of the time. If it does come on with the map, chances are 15 minutes later, it goes into disc read error. I found an online repair place for head units, and they want $300.00 to check it out.
But, it's not going to deter my decision not to buy Buick again.....
In your case the laser reader has gone bad. My 09 Traverse had the same problem. Had to be replaced. Again under warranty.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
In your case the laser reader has gone bad. My 09 Traverse had the same problem. Had to be replaced. Again under warranty.
How long is the warranty to cover that. My 08 is 12 years old next month and has 154k miles on it. No warranty left.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Extended warranties I've seen don't cover the systems. I think if someone gets a bright idea and starts making a simple car people will buy it after owing a few of these.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Extended warranties I've seen don't cover the systems. I think if someone gets a bright idea and starts making a simple car people will buy it after owing a few of these.
You need too look a little harder when it comes to warranties. Any warranty i ever had covered the radio.

·
Registered
140 Posts
How long is the warranty to cover that. My 08 is 12 years old next month and has 154k miles on it. No warranty left.
I can't say when it comes to that many miles. My 09 Traverse was covered to 80000 miles. I traded at 77000, but would have looked into extending before 80000.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just posted to another radio thread, but hopefully this will save some guys some $$ and get your Nav working again.

I was in the same boat, where it may work 1 out of 12 times, and that 1 time it DID work, it would likely stop working 15-30mins later giving me a map error message.

I pulled the whole head unit out of the vehicle (very simple, used my hands/fingers to pull the bezel off - no tools needed, just grab a corner, and slowly pull straight out, then work your way around).

Stripped the head unit down by slowly analyzing what needed to come apart - if I recall there was a ribbon cable which has small tabs on the side that need to be pulled up, then the ribbon slides out easily. Got down to the laser, cleaned it with some alcohol (or flat screen tv cleaner stuff - don't remember) using a q-tip. Put it all back together, been working perfectly for almost 2 years.

The only complicated part was analyzing the actual unit on my dining room table, and slowly figuring out what needed to come apart to open it up and get to the laser. If anyone has any tech savvy kids who have worked on computers, or game consoles, this should be a breeze to get through.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just posted to another radio thread, but hopefully this will save some guys some $$ and get your Nav working again.

I was in the same boat, where it may work 1 out of 12 times, and that 1 time it DID work, it would likely stop working 15-30mins later giving me a map error message.

I pulled the whole head unit out of the vehicle (very simple, used my hands/fingers to pull the bezel off - no tools needed, just grab a corner, and slowly pull straight out, then work your way around).

Stripped the head unit down by slowly analyzing what needed to come apart - if I recall there was a ribbon cable which has small tabs on the side that need to be pulled up, then the ribbon slides out easily. Got down to the laser, cleaned it with some alcohol (or flat screen tv cleaner stuff - don't remember) using a q-tip. Put it all back together, been working perfectly for almost 2 years.

The only complicated part was analyzing the actual unit on my dining room table, and slowly figuring out what needed to come apart to open it up and get to the laser. If anyone has any tech savvy kids who have worked on computers, or game consoles, this should be a breeze to get through.
I applaud you... I currently have my radio out and cannot for the life of me see how it comes apart... I have the pair of DVD drives loose, but they won't come out of the unit. I'm just about to give up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well... I didn't give up and finally got it apart. I couldn't really get at the lens though. I did try with a q-tip and blasted it with some air. Went back together without too many problems and it still works. Now we wait and see if it stays working or not!

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Well... I didn't give up and finally got it apart. I couldn't really get at the lens though. I did try with a q-tip and blasted it with some air. Went back together without too many problems and it still works. Now we wait and see if it stays working or not!
You guys are a bit more adventurous than me. I would hate to try it, mess things up so bad then just be totally without a working radio.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Great job Calab! I also recall it took me a while of poking and pulling at to figure out how to get it apart. I had to walk away from it a couple of times - but kept at it until I figured it out. If I remember, it opened up kinda like a book with the 2 halves coming apart which is how I accessed the laser.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
Uncle Buick
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing