EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get this done this weekend. My 2010 came with the base (no nav/no USB/satellite/CD only) radio. I bought a Pioneer AVIC-5200NEX with the idatalink Maestro control box. This is a fairly large set up.

My 2 issues/questions are:

1) I plan to mount the GPS antenna in the far right corner of the dash. (Since my Enclave didn't originally have navigation, I assume it didn't have a GPS antenna anywhere.) Is there a way to run the GPS antenna wire into the dash corner and over to the radio? Not sure how I could possibly get my hand in there. Can the glove box be temporarily removed to gain access?

2) There's not a lot of space behind/around the radio. Where is a good place to mount the idatalink control box and the mass of wires? I have about 6" of wires between the control box and the plugs. I trial fitted just the radio tonight and I think I can fit the radio as well as be able to plug everything into the back of the radio (there are a BUNCH of things to be plugged in back there).

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'd like to finish this up tonight but until I have everything planned out, I won't proceed. No reason to tear apart the dash more than once. Thanks for looking!

Chris

·
Registered
733 Posts
My 09 E got a Kenwood installed in it. The installers placed it under the grill at the center opening. The antenna was quite small and fit perfectly. You might take a look there. When they took out the stock unit, there was plenty of room there for just about anything. Your iDatalink might require some custom brackets

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rexster said:
The installers placed it under the grill at the center opening. The antenna was quite small and fit perfectly.

When they took out the stock unit, there was plenty of room there for just about anything. Your iDatalink might require some custom brackets
I assume you're referring to the GPS antenna. It appears this one is meant to be mounted on top of the dash/roof/etc. I think I'll mount it in the far left corner of the dash and run the wires using rcrules suggestions in this thread.

It didn't look like there was enough room for everything behind the Pioneer radio but maybe, if I'm careful, take my time and cross my toes just right, I can make everything fit. I don't want to put undue stress on anything. I'm not worried about brackets for the idatalink. It's super light and I don't think it will fall down or bounce around.

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's installed and finally working correctly. What a PITA. Next time, I'll buy a OGM-1 or Car Show and be done with it. The stereo does everything but rub my wedding tackle. I got the GPS antenna wire run behind the glove box but ended up breaking a corner of the glove box surround (it's not visible but I'll HAVE to get a replacement). I finally got everything stuffed behind the stereo/HVAC wiring but it isn't pretty. I'll go back in there next weekend and try to tidy things up. I might try to cut out a bit of the trim (hidden behind the radio) to see if I can free up some more room.

This uses the iDatalink Maestro RR box which allows me to keep all of the factory gizmos (XM tuner, chimes, OnStar, etc). The Pioneer has (2) 3.5mm female plugs on the back. One is for AUX and the other is labeled (S/W or steering wheel controls). The iDatalink has 2 data wires that run to the stereo, one terminating in a 3.5mm plug. Seemed logical to plug the data cable into the s/w port and the AUX cable (to attach to a phone, etc) to the AUX port. Yeah...not on a Pioneer. On a Pioneer, you lose the AUX as you have to plug the iDatalink data cable into that if you want XM radio AUDIO. (Uh, huh. It didn't make any sense to me, either, but it works. Never had XM but I like it.) Only took me a week and 4 calls to: XM support, XM advanced tech support, Pioneer & iDatalink to figure this out.

There are many menus, sub-menus and sub-sub-menus. I hope I get all of them figured out before I trade the truck off in a few years (probably for a newer Enclave...I like this).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
MONK
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing