EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're probably going on a trip soon with 4 adults and a baby, which means we're pretty much out of room inside for all of the luggage. [How can the stuff for such a small baby take so much room?!?!] I've never bought a roof-mounted cargo holder before, so I feel like the proverbial baby-in-the-woods. Help!

First question, really really basic: I assume I will need the Rail Kit (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&AddPartNumber=12499978&partnumber=12499978)? I understand these are on back-order. Has anyone actually received one, or is this like the mythical 2nd row console, iPod adapter, and 2-way key fob? What have been people's experience with non-factory rails (e.g. http://www.racknroad.com/thule-rack-packages-factory-roof.html)

Second, once I have that, I assume I need to buy the cargo holder. It seems that Buick doesn't sell one. Any recommendation? Thule seems popular. What should I look for in terms of features and construction? How do I know if it will work with my racks?

I know, lots of questions!

Thanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have the GM OEM rails and they are fine. I would recommend that you go with a carrier made by Thule or Yakima. Both are very good quality. Make sure that you get a lockable version. That way if you stay someplace overnight, you have at least a little security (if they really want in, they will get in however).

I have a Thule "long box" that works very well. I picked up some soft duffles for every body to put their stuff in and then you have the ability to "mold" stuff to fit (if it is soft). It is also long enough for snow skis. Yakima makes similar stuff.

Another option that I have used in the past is a soft carrier. Benefit is that when you are not using it, you can fold it up and store it easier. But, it can't be locked down, and every night I had to take it off the car, a real pain. Also, have to make sure that the straps are secured so they don't flap in the wind, always took about 20 miles or so to get them taken care of!

Many options. Look online for good prices. Good Luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a Thule and purchased a Yakima a couple of years later since Thule seems to make carriers that open only in one direction only (I needed da extra space). Yakima gave me a choice between left or right openning.

So, my Expedition has both on it right now.

We're going to take our Acadia to OuterBanks later this year so ah, I'll let you know how it goes...in August... ;D

I can tell you that I'm not digging it already since the Acadia rack requires you to not overhang the carrier - so it will require me (6 foot tall) to climb up the vehicle. The carrier will be the one, and only, rationale for running boards on this vehicle.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have owned both a long and short Yakima rack and have found them to be well-made and durable. I agree with the idea of a few extra dollars for the locks. We also purchased locks for the towers, so the whole thing can't be removed in the middle of the night/day. Sheels and other stores carry both Thule and Yakima I believe. Good luck.

BB

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Jake_99 said:
... since Thule seems to make carriers that open only in one direction only (I needed da extra space). Yakima gave me a choice between left or right openning.
I s'pose it depends on where/when you shop. My Thule opens on both sides - a very nice feature. I had to buy a Thule when I had my MDX because its crossrails did not adjust. Thule was the only one that would fit the span on the MDX.

·
Registered
35 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts