EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Enclave . needing to pull left head due to bent exhaust valve. (sparkplug ceramic broke and either is stuck in exhaust valve or... bent valve) anyway.. ive looked online, watched cloyes video, gotten a chilten book. NONE talk about lining up timing marks. im old school. #1 tdc comp stroke which is where im at now. and main chain marks are lined up... neither of the cam chains come close to lining up. what am i doing wrong? can i pull chains and line up marks when installing or?? ive rotated this engine over easily a hundred times and cannot get all of the marks lined up... or even close
thank you
GB

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
Might be better off trying the Acadia or Traverse boards. More activity there and definitely more DIYers. The Enclave side is 90% people who can’t read the manual for things like how their HVAC works. :)

I still DIY a lot but a top end engine tear down is over my head.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might be better off trying the Acadia or Traverse boards. More activity there and definitely more DIYers. The Enclave side is 90% people who can’t read the manual for things like how their HVAC works. :)

I still DIY a lot but a top end engine tear down is over my head.
thank you for a response... im old school... some of this new **** is frustrating!!!! ill check out those other sites

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this was quite some time ago but thought I could offer my experience.

They Cloyes video, shop manuals, etc. all cover the timing marks in pretty good depth. The problem is if you're out of time, when you're in stage 1 or 2 timing position on the crank, the camshafts won't align! Having done this job on Honda's before where TDC sometimes results in the valves being in-between and wanting to snap, I came into the Buick job thinking the same thing might happen. Thankfully, that's not the case!

If you've purchased the camshaft holding plates (if you haven't, do so!), for phase 1 timing, where you place the chain on the left bank and crank, the left camshafts should have their flat ends facing up and the with the flat ends up should slide right on. Also in phase 1, the right camshafts should be then fit on the plate that with angled slots. If you're out of time, the two banks might be off from each other as well so you might need to reposition independently.

After you're done with the left and crank chains and you move to phase 2 timing, the flats on the right bank should now be facing up and the angled plate should fit perfectly on the left camshafts.

Hope this is helpful to someone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts