EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new 2018 Enclave Premium over the weekend. This is our second Enclave. We previously had a 2014 Enclave and are enjoying the updated body style and tech.

I had a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer. They are both really quick questions.

I noticed in the owners manual the mention and pictures of an upgraded gauge cluster. I was surprised the Premium didn't have it, and from my searching, I can't see what packages included it. Is it just an Avenir thing?

Second, driving it for the first time last night, I went to use a steering wheel control and noticed none of the buttons were lit up. Is that the case for all, or is there something not working with mine. I ask, because when we we picked up the Enclave, we did notice the most of the steering wheel buttons on ours aren't responding to button pushes (all except for cruise up and down and cancel). The dealer is already aware and has ordered the part.

I think that's it for now. Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Inoperative controls and bad parts before you've even driven home? What kind of dealer delivers a brand new vehicle to a customer with existing problems?

AFAIK the upgraded cluster is for the Avenir only.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was frustrating to pick up the vehicle and have a problem, but I think it was just an oversight. The buttons work sometimes, when the steering wheel is at different angles.

What about the buttons lighting up, do you know if they should light up at night?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not sure about the buttons lighting up since I'm not an owner. If they actually don't that would be a major nickle and dime fail.

Interestingly, I joined this forum to get info on the Enclave since I'm considering purchasing one, however your issue and some of the other posts about cheap interior parts, lack of interior lighting, no glove box light, the stop/start ridiculousness, non-powered sunroof covers, etc. have me looking at other options.

I've never even considered a GM product due to their general cheapness and mediocre quality (plus the fact that they stole money from me and every other taxpayer to bail out their management incompetence while giving their execs millions in bonuses), however the Enclave is basically the only large CUV remaining on the market with usable cargo space behind the 3rd row, so choices are very limited.)

I know vehicles from any manufacturer can have problems, but when you're considering dropping 50 to $60K on a supposed luxury model, reading about overall Enclave chintziness (is that a word?) and problems right off the bat doesn't inspire confidence.

Same thing happened with the Chrysler Pacifica I was considering before looking into the Enclave. Looked great, seemed to be designed well, included lots of features, but then the forums were bombarded with hundreds of customer complaints about the engine stopping for no reason in traffic, the infotainment system crashing, the power folding rear seats not functioning, various transmission problems, etc.

I just don't understand why in 2018 with all the technology available and all the testing that's done, it's so difficult to design and build a decent quality vehicle. It's not like these vehicles are inexpensive. I don't expect every single vehicle to be flawless of course, but in 2018 shouldn't steering wheel buttons work and engines not quit randomly on the highway?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you. I too am a bit disappointed in some of the choices they made to save money.

The lighting over all is odd to me. Switching to LED seemed like a great idea. No more bulbs to replace, more efficient, and the ability to place lights in more interesting locations. But instead, they used really dim LEDs and didn't do anything interesting with them. The glove box doesn't really bother me, only because I'm only in there once a year to get the manual out or something.

The sunroof shade isn't new to me. It's essentially the exact same set up as the last Enclave (though now the shade is a solid material instead of perforated). I assume it has to do with the fact it has the dual sun roofs.

The stop/start feature is really dumb and annoying and I wish they had included a button or menu to disable it. It is totally pointless.

I just turned in my Dodge Durango R/T and over all, it was a great SUV. Very similar feature set and price. In fact, I got more tech for the same money, plus a V8 instead of a V6. I really enjoyed the vehicle and didn't have any major problems with it when I turned it in at 45K miles. It definitely had better lighting, as well as more power and even a couple of things the Enclave doesn't have (rainsense wipers specifically). But it had a shorter warranty and my experience with the Dodge dealership was less than stellar.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was very interested in a Durango, but unfortunately it's just too small for a family. So in the large CUV category the Enclave/Traverse is essentially the only choice if you want to put kids in the third row and still have a little cargo room.

That's why I continually monitor this forum hoping for some "Wow, what a great vehicle. Really love it. No problems" posts.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have had the '18 now for 7 months and can say that the stop/start is not a problem for me. Just release the brake slightly and it goes away. Don't even notice it any longer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree. I hardly even notice the start/stop on my Avenir. Not worth the expense to install an aftermarket defeat.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My concern regarding stop/start is that the engine and systems are cycling thousands of more times than they were designed to. The LFY engine in the Enclave was not designed or engineered as a stop/start engine, and adding a bigger battery and supposedly better starter don't change that fact.

Also, from Car Guru's, "Instead, we are left with an unintuitive gearstick with a dogleg reverse and a button for Park. I’m not sure how it takes up any less room than buttons would, but it’s a confusing approach I hope Buick will change soon. Additionally, the start/stop system is one of the more abrupt I’ve experienced. It often restarted the engine halfway through a red light, causing the whole car to jerk forward slightly, like when you’d put an old automatic into gear. This needs to be fixed."

There seem to be other annoyances with stop/start like power to various devices such as radar detectors recycling every time the engine stops, air conditioning not keeping up, the engine stops when you pull into your garage or a parking space, then starts again when you select Park, then shuts off again, etc. Can any owners comment?

For me personally, I just wouldn't want to deal with the annoyances and knowing that my engine was being stressed many more times than it normally would be. If I ever get an Enclave the first thing I'd do is disconnect the hood latch sensor and never have to deal with stop/start.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You won't have much choice on the issue. All of the manufacturers are going to the start/stop. While researching many auto reviewers, including the major publications, they stated that the Enclave/Traverse have one of the smoothest systems available.

As far as the quote about Buicks gearstick, both Cadillac and Buick use it. I have absolutely no problem with it's operation. To quote an old adage, " You Can't teach an old dog a new trick".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually like the new gearstick. It's kind of fun.
Though the first few days, I tried to tap it without first holding the button.

What I really like about it, is that it puts itself in to park if you forget to do so when hitting hitting the engine stop button.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I checked on my Avenir and the buttons on the steering wheel do light up at night. However. They certainly could be bright as all the other lighting in the vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I just noticed last night that my buttons light as well, when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the right. Which coincidentally is also when the buttons start responding to presses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same steering wheel problem here.

Steering wheel controls on right side never worked.

Mirrors don’t fold in.

Seat belt holder In third row roof won’t hold.

Worst front seat, EVER!!!

Besides that. All is good, lol!!!!!!

Love these American cars.

Just dumped lincoln. 11 trips to dealer in 44k miles.

Now I will be at the Buick dealer 2x in 1 month.

Had Infinity with 144k miles. 1 trip to dealer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Same steering wheel problem here.

Steering wheel controls on right side never worked.

Mirrors don’t fold in.

Seat belt holder In third row roof won’t hold.

Worst front seat, EVER!!!

Besides that. All is good, lol!!!!!!

Love these American cars.

Just dumped lincoln. 11 trips to dealer in 44k miles.

Now I will be at the Buick dealer 2x in 1 month.

Had Infinity with 144k miles. 1 trip to dealer.
Unfortunately more evidence of overall GM cheapness and poor quality that I didn't want to hear. I wonder if there's any chance that the 2019s will be any better since I still can't find any other CUV with same interior and cargo space.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm driving a loaner while my Premium is in the shop. It's a Preferred or Essence. I noticed a few things that are definitely cheap.

Under the steering wheel where the handle for the manual adjustment lever is, you can stick your hand up through the steering column housing. They didn't surround the lever with plastic, so it's just and open hole.

On the drivers seat, is a similar opening you can put your hand up around the seat controls. I was able to feel the wiring and the harness with my fingers while driving.

Not huge deals, but certainly places they cheaped out on filling with plastic as necessary.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm driving a loaner while my Premium is in the shop. It's a Preferred or Essence. I noticed a few things that are definitely cheap.

Under the steering wheel where the handle for the manual adjustment lever is, you can stick your hand up through the steering column housing. They didn't surround the lever with plastic, so it's just and open hole.

On the drivers seat, is a similar opening you can put your hand up around the seat controls. I was able to feel the wiring and the harness with my fingers while driving.

Not huge deals, but certainly places they cheaped out on filling with plastic as necessary.
Wow, all that quality, attention to detail, and focus on the customer experience for only $50K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My concern regarding stop/start is that the engine and systems are cycling thousands of more times than they were designed to. The LFY engine in the Enclave was not designed or engineered as a stop/start engine, and adding a bigger battery and supposedly better starter don't change that fact.

Also, from Car Guru's, "Instead, we are left with an unintuitive gearstick with a dogleg reverse and a button for Park. I’m not sure how it takes up any less room than buttons would, but it’s a confusing approach I hope Buick will change soon. Additionally, the start/stop system is one of the more abrupt I’ve experienced. It often restarted the engine halfway through a red light, causing the whole car to jerk forward slightly, like when you’d put an old automatic into gear. This needs to be fixed."

There seem to be other annoyances with stop/start like power to various devices such as radar detectors recycling every time the engine stops, air conditioning not keeping up, the engine stops when you pull into your garage or a parking space, then starts again when you select Park, then shuts off again, etc. Can any owners comment?

For me personally, I just wouldn't want to deal with the annoyances and knowing that my engine was being stressed many more times than it normally would be. If I ever get an Enclave the first thing I'd do is disconnect the hood latch sensor and never have to deal with stop/start.
I did not like the start/stop feature. So I installed an aftermaket defeater which works fine.
As for the gear box joystick, I love it. Very convenient and intuitive. I owned a Chrysler 300 before Enclave. It also has a joystick, but the Buick's one is better, especially when moving from Park to Drive, which we do most of the time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Everyone has different preferences I guess, but moving forward and to the left in order to select reverse is ergonomically the most unintuitive and user-unfriendly shifter design I've ever seen.

Which stop/start defeater did you get?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts