EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Which board layout do you prefer?

• Neither. Come up with something in between (med)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, enough of you have complained about the new expanded board layout to put it to a vote. I realize I'm not going to be able to please everyone on here, but I can do my best to please the majority. So it's in your best interest to vote on this poll.

In case it's not clear, this question is about the new of boards on the main page - for example: 'Picture Share', 'Audio/Video/Nav' and 'Cars for Sale' are three boards (forum terminology isn't always clear).

So the options are:

1) The new layout - this is much more targeted to in scope = more boards, but less deep ones (fewer pages)
2) The old layout - Much fewer baords, really just 1 general board and one technical board = fewer but much deeper boards (many more pages)
3) Neither of these is appealing - start from scratch and come up with something in between.

Obviously, if #3 is the option, we'll have a discussion in this thread and hash out a good compromise.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smokin SRX said:
Hey 'Thunder and those in Florida: you can only vote ONCE! ;)
Thx Admin!
i dont get it, i dont live in florida, i live in virginia, and i am from texas.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I guess I am in the middle on the new layout. At first I found it hard to move around and check for posts I was interested in. I kind of have a grove now when I visit and have gotten use to the layout using the side bar for most recent posts and then any Board with a Bold Icon beside it. I can see the need for the expanded layout as more people get their Enclaves and start posting more information. I think that we could trim down some of the topics as they are a little to specific (at least for me). If we would need to go to an expanded format in ~6 months due to volume, then I guess we should try and adapt now in some form.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I think long term the new layout is going to be better. There may be some growing pains however.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree it will take a bit of time, but we would be headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I like the new layout because it's easier to scan through more topics with less posts in each to find threads I'm interested in. Anyway, when there's a topic I'm really interested in, such as the tranny updates, I just select notify and pop right to new info from the email notification. I'd like to add that the whole forum structure is an amazing way for people to communicate across the miles about subjects of mutual interest. I'd also like to thank the Admin for all of his hard work and interest. :thumb:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, not quite as many votes as I had hoped for, but after 26, about half like the new format (14), 4 votes for the old format and 8 for coming up with something in between. So to please the most people, I think we'll probably tinker with the layout just a bit, see if I can combine a handful of boards that may be too specific, but overall, keep the feel of the new design.

This doesn't mean I will completely ignore those who complained about it. I'm just trying to strike a balance between what the majority of members want and what makes the most sense moving forward. Please don't feel nervous to post because you're afraid you'll put your thread in the wrong place. These are simply guidelines to help steer conversations into general groups. It's really not that big of a deal. You won't get yelled at if you put something in the "wrong" place :)

If you have a technical question that obviously falls into one of the categories, put it in there. If it doesn't seem to fit in any of them, put in in the general tech section. The general Discussion board is for things like giving a review of a road trip you took, talking about Enclave sightings, etc. Basically, any Enclave related topic that doesn't ask a specific technical question. Do you think it would make more sense to eliminate the "General Technical Discussion" board and simply have one "Buick Enclave" board for every post that doesn't fit a technical board?

Here are my thoughts on a slightly redesigned layout:

1) Eliminate General Tech and combine it with Buick Enclave
2) roll up the Video/Multimedia child board into "Articles, Reviews, Video & Multimedia"
3) Roll up Custom Order Issues.. into "Buying, Leasing & Custom Ordering"
4) Combine Faq/Links/HowTos and Recalls & TSBs - one board for ALL long term stickies
5) Combine Interior and Electrical boards
6) Combine Parts/Accessories and Upgrades boards in the For Sale section

What do you guys think? Other ideas

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Admin, I think that sounds like a good plan. Right now there are 26 boards on the main page - not including child boards. By combining a few boards it will make it easy to find topics but will not be overwhelming.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sounds good to me. Its a process. I'm sure there will some complaints, but hey, it will work. :thumb:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I've implemented all but the main one (integrating Buick Enclave and General Technical) since they are both huge. I may or may not do this one still. It would create a really big board that would grow quickly.

If you guys can think of other suggestions on how to cut down a few more boards, I'm definitely open to it. I know towing and hauling won't ever be big on the enclave site, I'm not sure what to do with it. Should I simply eliminate that board and let those thread be absorbed into the general tech board?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think keeping the General and the Technical separate is good idea due to their size if nothing else. Also, I think most people can differentiate between the two basic concepts.

Thanks for all of your time and work Admin. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Why, oh why am I only seeing two threads in the right hand summary???????

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
cfedor said:
Why, oh why am I only seeing two threads in the right hand summary???????
My guess, because there was a spammer that a moderator removed.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Probably.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Ok. It's been quite awhile since this thread has been touched. I really don't see much action on this forum like I used to from all the old timets who used to post relentlessly, and frequently. Maybe I am wrong, but this new layoutjust isn't what the old layout used to be. It seems to me, we have to really do some digging to find anything that we are looking for. Then to actually be able to follow that thread when other reply to it, I know we get a notification about a quote or a post being added to that thread, but we shouldn't have to rely on those notifications, but just have our individual most frequented threads in our headers of the front page that we as individual users have visited or commented on. What a nuisance this forum has become.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts