EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was a thread with a big list of thing to do when buying a new car, but i cant find it. could somebody help, eigther with a new list or finding the other one.
thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would like to see this as well, especially those Enclave specific items.

Things like:

1) If Enclave was built before Aug 1st request transmission flash update
2) Make sure the Tow Pkg setup correctly - the brake and battery charger leads are NOT hooked up to the fuse panel.
3) How to enable XM/Nav and get any and all availabe CDs (I did not know this)

Anything else we can add?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Gmoney_2010, here's the information that I posted in another thread about our Blue Gold Enclave -- to find it, I just searched "checklist" from the main Enclave Forum screen. Hopefully this will help anyone who's picking up their vehicle soon -- and because of the excitement and the wait, I'd suggest printing it out and taking a pen with -- don't let the dealer rush you, go down the list and check everything off. You'll feel much better if you do!

Here's what I put together on my list before going to the dealer:

verify ALL numbers with finance guy before driving to the dealer (verify selling price, any doc fee, taxes, registration fees, total)
if buying w/Supplier, bring along your Supplier authorization form/number -- this was as smooth as butter today for us!
ask at the dealership if they will cancel your old OnStar (or transfer any remaining) from an old OnStar equipped vehicle
check for minutes on your OnStar calling before leaving (or arriving) at dealer -- ask them to transfer those minutes to your new Enclave
if you are driving out of town like us to pick up, make sure you remind them to have OnStar issue you a LOCAL calling number for your phone!
if you have a loan on existing vehicle and are doing a trade (ours was w/GMAC), call them to find out your payoff amount
if you have an upcoming electronic payment coming up -- call to try and stop it (ours was due tomorrow, 8/24 -- I called GMAC and they said they could cancel it, saving wait for a refund check)

if you have an IPASS or EZPASS, take the phone number and account number with you -- once you have made your deal, call them to change your vehicle info so you're legal
make sure you get FRONT AND BACK plates from your old car (they almost left our front plate on because in MI, they only have them on rear) -- and add to that, if you are buying out of your own state, find out if that state requires 1 plate or both -- we ended up having a problem with MI dealer because they only require 1 plate and our Enclave DID NOT HAVE THE FRONT PLATE BRACKET installed! Dealer had to order and fedex to our house -- I had to install, required drilling 4 holes in bumper and using a heavy duty rivet gun, not installed with bolts.

I razor-bladed with masking tape our County Vehicle Sticker on the windshield -- I never leave this up to the dealer, usually when they take them off, they are destroyed (put strips of masking tape over the sticker, use a sharp razor blade and go slow -- I got ours off intact so I can transfer it (have to turn the old one in, otherwise they charge you full price!)

As for vehicle checklist, here's some of the stuff I had on my list to check:
radio operation
a/c operation
take a test drive before signing anything -- check for obvious rattles, noises, look the darn thing over -- I didn't do the best job, I missed drip marks on window frames that turned out to be "adhesion promoter" used to adhere the triple weatherstripping to the door frames. This was dripped in a few places -- isopropyl alcohol sort of took some of it off, nothing else worked.
test seat heaters
test rear hatch operation
test power folding mirrors
test power tilt/telescope wheel
test power windows
test power seat operation
check seat flip n fold operation
test back up camera operation
check operation of sunroof & sliding screens

make sure you have:
cargo net
cargo shade
dvd for nav system
correct remotes w/remote start feature
2 headphones for entertainment system
full tank of gas!!!!!
front license plate bracket (if you, like me, are in a state that requires and you purchase from a state that doesn't -- ask up front so they can order and install before you get there)
trailer hitch cover and pigtail (they don't install the pigtail, make sure it's in the rear storage compartment)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I am getting closer to getting my Enclave, and this is really helpful! Thanks! [/color] :cheers:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'd add another thing to the vehicle checklist: Check all your exterior running & turn signal lights, particularly the turn signal indicators on the exterior side mirrors. My right side mirror lights didn't work but the mirror adjustment & folding worked. Ended up the dealer had to order an entire new exterior mirror assembly and then paint match it. It was my understanding that this was somewhat a common problem at some point in time. Mine was purchased early July so I don't know if its an issue now or not.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thank you dsgnconcpts gbshuler for the excellent lists. Dsgnconcpts I also appreciate the advice about picking up a car from out of state. This weekend I am headed up to Michigan to pick up our Gold Mist. My husband may be here holding down the fort, but I know I will not be going it alone with all the advice that has been offered here on this forum.

·
Registered
317 Posts
iDrive said:
Thank you dsgnconcpts gbshuler for the excellent lists. Dsgnconcpts I also appreciate the advice about picking up a car from out of state. This weekend I am headed up to Michigan to pick up our Gold Mist. My husband may be here holding down the fort, but I know I will not be going it alone with all the advice that has been offered here on this forum.
iDrive,
You are very welcome. This forum has been terrific -- lots of great information that has been shared amongst us on many subjects.

Just a reminder again -- if you need a front license plate -- make sure your dealer know and has not only ordered the Enclave part/bracket, but has had his mechanic install. It's not that difficult but it does require drilling 4 holes and using a HD rivet gun. The reminder too about checking all the lights, incl the turn signals on the mirrors is a great one.

Print out your list or lists and DON'T LET THE DEALER OR ANYONE RUSH YOU! Our dealer, Grand Allegan in Allegan, MI was terrific -- he let me take all the time I needed, took the Enclave for a drive and checked it out before I signed anything.

Good luck, drive safely and let us know how things turn out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
desgnconcpts said:
Gmoney_2010, here's the information that I posted in another thread about our Blue Gold Enclave -- to find it, I just searched "checklist" from the main Enclave Forum screen. Hopefully this will help anyone who's picking up their vehicle soon -- and because of the excitement and the wait, I'd suggest printing it out and taking a pen with -- don't let the dealer rush you, go down the list and check everything off. You'll feel much better if you do!

Here's what I put together on my list before going to the dealer:

verify ALL numbers with finance guy before driving to the dealer (verify selling price, any doc fee, taxes, registration fees, total)
if buying w/Supplier, bring along your Supplier authorization form/number -- this was as smooth as butter today for us!
ask at the dealership if they will cancel your old OnStar (or transfer any remaining) from an old OnStar equipped vehicle
check for minutes on your OnStar calling before leaving (or arriving) at dealer -- ask them to transfer those minutes to your new Enclave
if you are driving out of town like us to pick up, make sure you remind them to have OnStar issue you a LOCAL calling number for your phone!
if you have a loan on existing vehicle and are doing a trade (ours was w/GMAC), call them to find out your payoff amount
if you have an upcoming electronic payment coming up -- call to try and stop it (ours was due tomorrow, 8/24 -- I called GMAC and they said they could cancel it, saving wait for a refund check)

if you have an IPASS or EZPASS, take the phone number and account number with you -- once you have made your deal, call them to change your vehicle info so you're legal
make sure you get FRONT AND BACK plates from your old car (they almost left our front plate on because in MI, they only have them on rear) -- and add to that, if you are buying out of your own state, find out if that state requires 1 plate or both -- we ended up having a problem with MI dealer because they only require 1 plate and our Enclave DID NOT HAVE THE FRONT PLATE BRACKET installed! Dealer had to order and fedex to our house -- I had to install, required drilling 4 holes in bumper and using a heavy duty rivet gun, not installed with bolts.

I razor-bladed with masking tape our County Vehicle Sticker on the windshield -- I never leave this up to the dealer, usually when they take them off, they are destroyed (put strips of masking tape over the sticker, use a sharp razor blade and go slow -- I got ours off intact so I can transfer it (have to turn the old one in, otherwise they charge you full price!)

As for vehicle checklist, here's some of the stuff I had on my list to check:
radio operation
a/c operation
take a test drive before signing anything -- check for obvious rattles, noises, look the darn thing over -- I didn't do the best job, I missed drip marks on window frames that turned out to be "adhesion promoter" used to adhere the triple weatherstripping to the door frames. This was dripped in a few places -- isopropyl alcohol sort of took some of it off, nothing else worked.
test seat heaters
test rear hatch operation
test power folding mirrors
test power tilt/telescope wheel
test power windows
test power seat operation
check seat flip n fold operation
test back up camera operation
check operation of sunroof & sliding screens

make sure you have:
cargo net
cargo shade
dvd for nav system
correct remotes w/remote start feature
2 headphones for entertainment system
full tank of gas!!!!!
front license plate bracket (if you, like me, are in a state that requires and you purchase from a state that doesn't -- ask up front so they can order and install before you get there)
trailer hitch cover and pigtail (they don't install the pigtail, make sure it's in the rear storage compartment)

I have the pigtail but what is it used for?

·
Registered
317 Posts
This has been answered elsewhere on the forum, but the pigtail is used if you have a trailer -- you can wire this pigtail into your trailer and it will fit into the receptacle for the pigtail that is under the flip up door next to the hitch. It doesn't get wired into the Enclave, the receptacle is already there.
HTH.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts