EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I bid sight unseen on a 2012 Enclave on an auction. It's got a few cosmetic problems, like needing a new windshield, some scratch and dent repair, and a few other random small things. The mileage is high (a little over 200K) but other than that it is a nice buy, IMO. There is only one thing I'm really worried about, and I would like some feedback. During the maiden voyage (only my wife has driven it, I will drive it after we get it road legal), my wife said that during the highway ride, sometimes the rpm's would increase and surge, then go back to normal. From some posts here it seems like maybe the torque converter needs replaced. Should I take it to a transmission shop? Or should I check some other things first?

Thank in advance to all who reply!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had this issue with my 2001 Aurora. It ended up being, to my recollection, the crankshaft position sensor. Might try there first. Not sure if the difficulty of a DIY replacement.
On my Aurora, it was on the back side down under. Had to drop the starter to access. Haven't had any issues since in two years.

Seems as though the Enclave is pegged with issues. Not sure why one would buy one without an inspection.
We bought an '08 CXL AWD for my daughter. Luckily, I had a friend who worked in the shop at the dealership that was selling, and he was able to give me info on what was wrong with it upon the shop inspection. With this info, I was able to talk them down $2000, so that I could buy my own parts and have the work done to make it safe.
They also put a new set of rubber on it, and new tire pressure sensors at no cost to us.
Previously had a engine replaced (owner neglect) and tranny work (recall issue for subpar internal parts), under warranty, due to problems with the '08.
All in all, we got a good deal, but if I would have bought it sight unseen at their list price, without inside knowledge, I would have been taken to the cleaners, and would have greatly regretted the purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all, I bid sight unseen on a 2012 Enclave on an auction. It's got a few cosmetic problems, like needing a new windshield, some scratch and dent repair, and a few other random small things. The mileage is high (a little over 200K) but other than that it is a nice buy, IMO. There is only one thing I'm really worried about, and I would like some feedback. During the maiden voyage (only my wife has driven it, I will drive it after we get it road legal), my wife said that during the highway ride, sometimes the rpm's would increase and surge, then go back to normal. From some posts here it seems like maybe the torque converter needs replaced. Should I take it to a transmission shop? Or should I check some other things first?

Once you drive it, evaluate whether you feel any slipping/shuddering. If so, then you probably have torque converter issues. If that's the problem, then you'll have to evaluate whether to replace the torque converter only or if you want a full rebuilt transmission. And that depends upon how long you want to keep the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts

If speed tends to increase commensurate with the RPMs, then you might look at cleaning the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor).
I had surging at idle and hard start, cleaning the MAF resolved it.

But if RPMs are increasing and speed does not, more likely the TC or tranny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts