EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a video of the lighting of the enclave at night:

First off, I had the worst problem finding my Enclave. Nobody in my town had one and all that were coming in were accounted for, due to ordering. I saw the inventory sheet and it was pretty obvious that the Cocoa color was the most popular. However, I wanted a tri-coat which would make my search even more difficult.

I finally found a dealership, out in the middle of nowhere, 2 hours from me. It was a small mom and pop dealer and they told me they could get one in for me in a couple of days. They did and I got it yesterday after a 2 hour drive to the dealership!

I got everything I wanted.

I wanted my completely loaded to the brim. I'm 28 years old and this is the first time in my life I can afford something nice so I wanted it all!!!

I got the tricoat, CXL FWD (I didnt want the AWD due to extra weight and gas mileage consumption), got the confidence package and luxury package.

Now before I got any further, let me let you in on my past and perspective. My first car was a used 88 Chevy Blazer. Shortly after I got it, the engine was going to crap and the water pump blew up costing costing myself much frustration. I then went to a foreign car in the Toyota Tacoma and can say it was probably perfect in my mind. I LOVED IT! I got rid of it after selling my four-wheeler and wanted something easier to haul friends and family in. I debated if I should go back to American cars. My parents had horrible experiences in the past, even with Buick in 1988, including a lawsuit and arbitration, at which time my parents won the case. I remember sitting in the car at a stoplight, then starting to go and hearing an explosion sound, only to find out the transmission literally just fell apart. All of my worries are dispelled with Buick's new, great warranty! With that said, and my Chevy experience, I was really trying to figure out what to buy. AT the time, being 21, I LOVED the Olsmobile Alero. Obvioulsy my income was limited and at this time even this car was a financial "iffy situation" for me. I got it anyways and loved it for several years. In the last two years however, the thing is literaly falling apart underneath me. It's no longer under warranty and I've spent about $2,000 in the last year in repairs. I was fed up!

Just recently I was able to buy pretty much any car I wanted due to several reasons (I'm a blessed guy ;D). I wanted to stay under $60,000 and so I began my search. I was looking for style (Hey, I'm 28. Yes I'm married with a newborn but I'm still only 28), and a luxury feel. We travel alot on the road and I wanted something comfortable for driving and something comfortable for my wife and baby in the back.

My buying requirements:

* Navigation system (built in to dash)
* Third Row Seat
* At least 270 HP
* At least 23 MPG
* 2nd Row Captains Chairs (this was a biggy)
* Sunroof (this was a biggy for my wife)
* Leather (biggy)
* DVD Player (biggy)

I looked first at the Hyundai VeraCruz (Hey, I have the money to spend but I figured if I saved money on the car I could use the rest somewhere else). I really liked the Vera Cruz but I felt as though I really just wanted something more. REally I have no complaints of the Vera Cruz and can say that Hyundai is really impressing me these days (along with their new Sonata). I give them thumbs up for where they're taking that company.

So VeraCruz was out. I just wanted something more. Though it was nice, the cockpit felt a little too plastic-infested (most cars are but you dont think about it much, in here, you think about it).

I looked at the Audi Q7 and fell in love!!! I loved the look and the feel of the car. Great car!

I looked at the Volvo SUV and thought I sort of liked it, I dont know how they justify that price vs. what you get. SEriously, I dont get it.

I saw the Lexus RX350 ( I think that's the name) and personally I wasn't impressed AT ALL and dont know how they justify their costs.

I looked at the Escalade and Tahoe and really the only thing that bothered me with those cars is that all of the Chevy SUV's look alike. I just wasn't going for it.

I finally found the Enclave (I saw it last of all) and FELL IN LOVE! I can't explain it!

I have never bought a car I couldn't complain about. I love complaining! and most cars (even ones I love) lend themselves to complaints. However, honestly, I really didnt have anything to complain about in the Enclave. I found myself taking the little things and just sort of saying "oh well, really who cares?". Even my wife was like "what the............" regarding my reaction to defficiencies. I was in love.

So, yesterday I get my Enclave and just wanted to get inside and play.

First off, I am STILL absolutely in awe of the electronics in this car. LIterally you could sit in there for 2 hours and probably still not figure out all of the little cool things you can do.

So, I started with the Nav System. I loved it. One thing I love is that when you input an addy, it gives you three different routes (shows them on the map) and lets you choose which one you want, by shortest, fastest, and something else I dont remember. I always use fastest. The screen is a great size and is easily readable during day and night. The mode changes color from day to night to allow better road visibility.

One thing I love is the voice system. I didnt realize the Nav and radio are controlled by voice (if you choose). You can tell it which station to choose and even addresses to plut into the Nav.

The Nav system is phonominal and the XM interface is great!

So, what next? We figured we'd set up an account with Onstar, so we gave them a call and the lady picks up and welcomes us and tells us that she thinks the EnCave is her favorite vehicle. Yes, I spelled that right. Encave. She said EnCave probably 10 times and not once did I ever even think she's even seen what this vehicle looks like. Oh well, she was nice.

We got set up on the year plan and got 100 extra talk minutes. I dont expect to use them alot but hey, It's fun to play with and cool to talk to someone without picking up or holding a phone. You can even dial the number with voice commands.

ONe cool feature I noticed was that the dash shows you how many prepaid minutes you have as you talk on the hands-free phone. Just a nice little feature.

I love the coloring of the dash. I initially wished that it was more of a blue color but I think the green/blue looks very class, especially at night. One cool thing is that the dash lights stay on at all times, even during day to allow for better illumination.

There are lots of features in the trip, including tire pressures, which is a nice feature.

I've not experienced the complaint about button location. Personally I LOVE the button locations and think they are incredibly easy to use and see. After looking at my "cockpit" I get the feeling that if someone is complaining about the button locations, then they're just grasping for straws for something to complain about with this vehicle.

The folding mirrors (electronically) is a great feature for me. I really like this. Mirrors fold quickly and quietly.

Engine noise - where is it? Seriously this car is quiet! Yes, You can hear the road and engine but honestly folks, I can't believe how quiet it is. When the DVD is running, you can hear the slightest noises even at low volume.

Speaking of DVD, this is great. You can play it over the speaker system or use the included 2 infrared headsets to listen to the movie while the driver can listen to XM or anything else. Regarding the headphones, they do need direct view to the locator or else you get static and even drop-off. The screen is crisp and clear and bright.

The DVD player plays until you start moving and then it cuts off.

The rear camera is great. I'm still getting used to it but it is a great feature.

Performance (yes I know I'm all over the place here but who cares?) - Personally I was very concerned about this initially. This car is heavy and has the same 2.6 liter as much lighter vehicles. However, after driving this, seriously dont worry, it's very well powered. If you want something super tough, got get a SUV with a V8 and get your 20 mpg on the highway, but, no me! I like that they kept the V6 because honestly with gas prices extremely unstable, I dont want to be forced to spend so much on gas.

Anyways, another cool feature is that the Nav system makes sure you can hear it. Everytime it begins to speak it will lower your radio's volume and even lower your AC so you can hear it.

Today I found a REALLY REALLY cool feature. Of course, the Nav system uses POI but they are limited in their type. I needed to find a car stereo store and couldnt find it in my POI in the Nav. I called Onstar and they found it. I though it just ended with them giving me directions but instead they downloaded the addy into my car and then the voice system gave me turn by turn directions until I got there.

SEriously I am so wow'd by this car. I can't complain about it in any way. If you are considering this vs. a more expensive car, trust me, you're wasting your money. This car is absolutely impressive beyond words. I can't stop looking at it and want to keep driving it. Driving it is absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a note:

My Enclave does have condensation build-up under the headlight panel after a rain. I will be taking this in to get fixed tomorrow.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Great review! You definitely sound like someone in love and I perfectly understand (because I am too)! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Civ....there is a TSB on this matter. It is normal, mine does the same thing. it has to do with the vented lights and heat buiildup. Is the condensation look like a whitish mist? or small droplets on it? If so it is normal and only occurs under certain weather conditions.....hope that helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PAPoPo said:
Civ....there is a TSB on this matter. It is normal, mine does the same thing. it has to do with the vented lights and heat buiildup. Is the condensation look like a whitish mist? or small droplets on it? If so it is normal and only occurs under certain weather conditions.....hope that helps.
Actually that helps alot! It is just a fine white mist look on the top portion of the casing. No droplets at all. It typically clears up within a few minutes after the moisture is ceased.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Congratulations on your new Enclave. I think we all know how you feel. Thanks for the great video and your comments on the NAV. Very interesting. I am technologically challenged, (Thank goodness I am married to TechnoMarvel, also an engineer), so I learn all these things very slowly. I got the NAV package mostly for him because he gets lost at the corner and I have an unerring sense of direction. Maps work for me. I don't like his NAV on the Lexus. When I have used it, he has plugged in the address for me before I leave the driveway and usually it says "You have arrived at your destination" when I am back in the car and ready to come home after having reached my destination. Then, it gets all confused and tells me to get off on every offramp on the freeway and I can't look down and shut it off because I don't know how. Oh well. I do intend on learning my Delilah Blue Eyes' NAV. She'll do me no wrong.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great looking car. Pretty much what I plan on ordering, although I will probably have to order Platinum Ice Tricoat and I'm still undecided on a bench seat and sunroof.

Is your picture of the rear sunroof with the shade closed or opened?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
civileng68 said:
Actually that helps alot! It is just a fine white mist look on the top portion of the casing. No droplets at all. It typically clears up within a few minutes after the moisture is ceased.
Exactly what I get from time to time!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Janssoner said:
Great looking car. Pretty much what I plan on ordering, although I will probably have to order Platinum Ice Tricoat and I'm still undecided on a bench seat and sunroof.

Is your picture of the rear sunroof with the shade closed or opened?
My rear roof pic is with the shade closed. By the way, the way the shade opens and closes is just beautiful! It's so expensive looking the way it does it.

Also, just my two cents after having mine with the 2nd row captains chairs.............unless you are planning on absolutely needing every spot for people, go with captains chairs. It really adds to the elegance of the car. Tonight we rode around town and I let my wife drive and I sat in the 2nd row captains chairs and I just felt so comfortable. They really add comfort with the arm rests and overall they're just more comfortable seats. It also allows for a seemingly roomier cabin.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for your two cents and your pictures (they are great!). I really like the captain chairs, I just have the idea of putting my grandson's car seat in the middle seat and then still having two adult seats. My Pacifica has the two captain's chairs (with console) and then a two person third row bench (that is really only good for tiny people). I don't think I would get the console option (takes up a lot of room now)(can you walk through to the third?), you really struggle to get to the third row with the Pacifica.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Janssoner said:
Thanks for your two cents and your pictures (they are great!). I really like the captain chairs, I just have the idea of putting my grandson's car seat in the middle seat and then still having two adult seats. My Pacifica has the two captain's chairs (with console) and then a two person third row bench (that is really only good for tiny people). I don't think I would get the console option (takes up a lot of room now)(can you walk through to the third?), you really struggle to get to the third row with the Pacifica.
I'm a pretty wide fella and honestly I think it's simple to get to the third row. Example> I can get from the second to the third row without having to "squeeze". It's a simple move to the back. Im highly impressed with the available room.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you go between the seats or slide up the second row seat?

Also, do you feel the third row is comfortable for us "wide felllas"?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Janssoner said:
Did you go between the seats or slide up the second row seat?

Also, do you feel the third row is comfortable for us "wide felllas"?
I got between the 2nd row captains chairs. Honestly, there's PLENTY of room. My dad who is disabled in that he has trouble with mobility had no problems going through the seats to the back.

In the back, it's pretty good room. Obviously it's not wide open but it's not bad for a third row seat. The thing however that makes it great is, the second row captains chairs can slide forward as much as you like, just like the front seats. So without folding them over, if the person in the 2nd row has room, they can slide forward and you're left with PLENTY of room in the third row.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I rode in the 3rd row this weekend with 2 children, age 6 and 10, VERY roomy, lot's of leg room, no complaints at all! I had to dive out of the Honda Pilot when I sat ALONE in the third row (claustrophobic feeling!)

·
Registered
88 Posts
This video makes it seem like the bluie ring may be visible to oncoming traffic, some else thought the headlights would wah it out, what do other people find?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Great pics Civileng68! I can see (and hear) that you are in love with your new gal. Just be sure your wife doesn't figure it out.

As far as those asking about the 3rd row...I sometimes have a little "manuvering" problem due to a long standing back issue...but honestly, I have absolutely no trouble with getting into the 3rd row or the comfort level of it.[/color] :angel:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great review civileng68. You are definitely in love. Although you do remind me that there are so many features that I've yet to take the time to get really familiar with. I spent about 30 minutes in the garage playing in it the first nite we brought it home (3 weeks ago), but I really do need to spend more time learning about how to use all of the cool features (e.g., voice recognition). I wish I could enjoy the xmradio while my son watches "the backyardigans" or "baby einstein" but he's only 2 y.o., so he's not crazy about the headphones yet. oh well, in due time.

On a side note, that first nite we brought it home, my hubby and I stopped for a nice dinner. After getting back in the Enclave, turning it on, and then seeing the lights do that cris-cross pattern across the parking lot in front of us, we both exclaimed "hey, did you see that!!!! that was so cool!!". :eek: we were like little kids.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
austin71 said:
Great review civileng68. You are definitely in love. Although you do remind me that there are so many features that I've yet to take the time to get really familiar with. I spent about 30 minutes in the garage playing in it the first nite we brought it home (3 weeks ago), but I really do need to spend more time learning about how to use all of the cool features (e.g., voice recognition). I wish I could enjoy the xmradio while my son watches "the backyardigans" or "baby einstein" but he's only 2 y.o., so he's not crazy about the headphones yet. oh well, in due time.

On a side note, that first nite we brought it home, my hubby and I stopped for a nice dinner. After getting back in the Enclave, turning it on, and then seeing the lights do that cris-cross pattern across the parking lot in front of us, we both exclaimed "hey, did you see that!!!! that was so cool!!". :eek: we were like little kids.
Well I'm a tech junky and I'll sit in a car for two hours just playing with the electronics.

Regarding more things that I've recently learned: The keyfob remembers your settings and will adjust the seat to your desired setting upon hitting "unlock".

To answer another person's question: Yes, the blue ring is visible to others in oncoming traffic, as long as they are not DIRECTLY in the way of the blinding headlight.

Mirrors: I have all available items and I noticed when I go into "reverse" my mirros do the whole curbside view thing. Great feature!

Extras: I also found that while in park, you can go through SOOOOOOOOO many features on your dash such as when to lock the doors, when to unlock the doors (at park or other), and so many more (such as the mirror function).

This car is just phenominal. I can't get over it. I also look obsessive because every time I go somewhere and get out of it, I walk backwards away from it, just looking at it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts