EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna put a new engine in my Enclave. Is there anything i should have done\serviced while the tranny and engine are out ?

Tranny seemed perfectly ok when engine went out but someone mentioned that my wave plate might be cracked.

I'm gonna have them test my alternator before re-installing what else can you guys think of ?

before everyone tells me to run away I wont. And I'll be sorry i know. But I have custom stuff done to this car and I didn't know till after I dumped money in for my toys that this model was a nightmare.

They already whacked me on body control module, wiring harness, AC lower line.

08 AWD Enclave

·
Registered
402 Posts
10 years old, electrical problems with the alarm and dash, blown motor, bad alternator and 200k miles? I don’t know what toys you installed but I’d sell them on eBay and use the money from them and what you’re going to spend making this thing driveable for a down payment on a new car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
10 years old, electrical problems with the alarm and dash, blown motor, bad alternator and 200k miles? I don’t know what toys you installed but I’d sell them on eBay and use the money from them and what you’re going to spend making this thing driveable for a down payment on a new car.
Sound advice. I have too agree. Cut your losses and move on.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
can you tell us what mods ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Keep thinking-what would I do if my 2010s chains went.

Im at 136,000.
Its a California car.. so the body and suspension are clean. no rust- I can take a wet soapy rag- clean metal pieces like suspension- and theyre black-shiny like new. No signs of rust.
the interior is great. No damage. all works.

Would I spend - $40,000-$45,000 on a new car....
or would I spend $5000-$10,000 to get the engine/trans to proper working order and keep chugging along.

·
Registered
402 Posts
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im at 136,000.
Its a California car.. so the body and suspension are clean. no rust- I can take a wet soapy rag- clean metal pieces like suspension- and theyre black-shiny like new. No signs of rust.

or would I spend $5000-$10,000 to get the engine/trans to proper working order and keep chugging along.
Your case is a lot different though because you put most of those miles on and know the car has been properly maintained and not abused for most of them. If you put an $8k engine in yours the likelihood of it needing a lot of other repairs within a year is pretty low. OP has a car with over 60k more miles with multiple posts here about different issues it's having and it sounds like he hasn't had the Enclave long. At 200k with an unknown service/driving history the likelihood of it needing more repairs in the coming year is high.

Another way to look at it is he's about to drop $8500+ in repairs on a 2008 with 200k miles that if in very good condition has a dealer trade in value of $3k and a private party sale value around $6500. There are 130 Buick Enclave's on Auto Trader right now priced $9k or less, most of them at a dealer so they have at minimum some kind of short term warranty by law and most of them have 100-150k miles. You could sell the OP's car for scrap/parts, buy one of them, and come out ahead compared to putting a new engine and fixing the electrical problems in his car. I'm ignoring the toys installed because quite frankly if they're worth more than $1k and not removable putting them into a 10 year old high mileage car was rolling the dice from the start.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Im at 136,000.

To upgrade to a newer car you would not have to spend 40 to 45000. And to spend 10000 on a car that is 8 to 10 years old with 136000 miles is more than it is worth. Now every ones situation is different and what works for you isn't always what works for some one else. I do understand that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2010 FWD CXL2 had 117,000 miles when I sold it for $9,000 in a private sale in Dec 2017 in perfect running condition. However it had the original brakes, spark plugs, oxygen sensors, water pump, and still running on the 2nd set of tires (1st replacement). To replace all those things would run about $5,000 at the dealer, so instead I bought a new 2017 AWD Leather in an end of year sale for $39,250. What pushed me over the decision line was the need for AWD in winter mountain driving at my vacation place. The 2010 Enclave was the best and most comfortable vehicle I ever drove for interstate long haul trips; it feels like I could drive to Alaska by myself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think you guys missed the part of the original post that said (paraphrasing) " Looking for helpful suggestions vs. judgment". He's already made the decision to invest in the car, so he's not looking for someone to second guess it.

One thing that I can think of to replace would be the exhaust manifold gasket. Maybe the starter too. How new is the water pump? I don't know if the Transmission wave plate could be inspected with the engine removed, but if so have it done. Also ask about replacing the transmission filter - not sure if it is possible but couldn't hurt to ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
michigander
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing