EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read where the BUICK ENCLAVE in 2012 will get a new engine, a 3.0 liter instead of the present engine.

JIMMY C

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Please post the reference

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
308 Posts
We need MRBUICK to set this straight!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I found NO documentation of this rumor through my various sources.
I will keep you posted.

MRBUICK

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
PLEASE NO! I had read where GM was planning on introducing "smaller displacement" engines in current models in order to help meet the new CAFE requirements, HOWEVER haven't we already PROVEN that the 3.0L V6 actually gets WORSE fuel mileage than the 3.6L (see the LaCrosse, where the 3.0L equipped model gets 1 mpg WORSE fuel economy than the 3.6L model). Now, if they are developing a newer design 3.0L, say with a turbo similar to Ford's EcoBoost engines and it gets BETTER fuel mileage with more power than the current 3.6L, then I'm all for it!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I did find this story about the "Baby Enclave"

Like the sister Theta platform vehicles, the new Buick crossover will likely be powered by the existing engines on the platform which include the 2.4-liter inline-four and the 3.0-liter direct-injected V-6 with both available in front- or all-wheel drive. The fuel-efficient inline-four is capable of 32 miles per gallon on the highway, while the V-6 delivers 264 horsepower and a respectable 25 mpg on the highway.

http://www.autotropolis.com/auto-news/2012-buick-compact-crossover-rendered.html

·
Registered
532 Posts
Possibly the twin-turbo DI 3.0 that is said to be in late stages of development? This one is estimated to produce about 365hp. I don't know torque numbers, but if peak HP happens at around 5500rpm(with the turbo(s), it likely will produce peak HP at a lower rpm than the naturally-aspirated 3.6) then we might reasonably expect peak torque to be about 349 lb-ft. For comparison purposes, the 5.3L V-8 (LH6) as deployed in a 2006 Rainier that I owned is rated 330lb-ft @ 4000rpm and 300 hp @ 5200. The Rainier, although fairly heavy, would turn in 0-60 times around 7.5 seconds. The 3.0 DI TT should move a next-gen Lambda off the line with considerable authority and be a reasonable towing machine, although those used to low-end V-8 torque will have to rev them a little higher.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2010/03/gm-new-twin-turbo-3-0l-v6/

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
I really don't think it would be the 3.0L, but I may be wrong. I'm not believing this at all, I think the 3.6L will continue. The only thing I can see is maybe the CX will have the 3.0L as a base engine, with the 3.6 being optional, and standard on the CXL. This could be, but it's a stretch to think about it now. The 3.0 is not even available on the Lacrosse for 2011, so it would be weird to see it show up on the Enclave. Heck, why not throw in the 2.4L 4 cyl why they are at it. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
deacon_blues said:
Possibly the twin-turbo DI 3.0 that is said to be in late stages of development? This one is estimated to produce about 365hp. I don't know torque numbers, but if peak HP happens at around 5500rpm(with the turbo(s), it likely will produce peak HP at a lower rpm than the naturally-aspirated 3.6) then we might reasonably expect peak torque to be about 349 lb-ft. For comparison purposes, the 5.3L V-8 (LH6) as deployed in a 2006 Rainier that I owned is rated 330lb-ft @ 4000rpm and 300 hp @ 5200. The Rainier, although fairly heavy, would turn in 0-60 times around 7.5 seconds. The 3.0 DI TT should move a next-gen Lambda off the line with considerable authority and be a reasonable towing machine, although those used to low-end V-8 torque will have to rev them a little higher.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2010/03/gm-new-twin-turbo-3-0l-v6/
THAT is the engine that these beasts need! And if it gets BETTER fuel mileage than the 3.6L, then that will just be "gravy"! :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Buick needs to offer a V8 in the Enclave. If they did, more than half of Enclaves would be sold with it. As we've seen in the past 5 years, shutting down cylinders on the GM and Chrysler V8's gives fuel economy very close to, and in some cases better, than V6's. My '07 Grand Prix GXP V8 was good for 27-29 mpg on the highway. When cruising, the cylinders being shut down was not noticeable in the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys - I'm Alex and I'm from GM Authority - the originating site of this article that has been quoted above (which I was informed by the forum I'm not allowed to post quite yet :-\

Nice to meet you all!

Now, to the matter at hand!

It's entirely possible that the Enclave gets the 3.0L turbo (code name LF3 within GM) for a midcycle refresh sometime in 2012 (or perhaps the 2012 model year). However, this hasn't been confirmed and we haven't heard about this from any of our sources, so it's pure speculation at this point.

The current rumblings we hear about the LF3's power ratings peg it at somewhere between 300 and 350 HP. We haven't heard anything about the torque figures quite yet, but logic would tell us that we should expect anywhere from 300 to 350 lbs.-ft.

All this is until the 2nd-gen Enclave hits in 2015 (semi-confirmed at this point).

- Alex

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Alexluft, thanks for your informed and informative post. :thumb: Hopefully GM does offer that engine. Too bad it wasn't available a few years earlier. The 3.6L setup is a bit quirky in order to force mileage out of the potent engine, especially in pre-2009 non-DI form.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
vic1212 said:
wait i thought the redesign is on 2013 Alex?
??? I'm with you there, I've heard 2013 from several sources. What's this 2015 B. S.?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts