EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Enclaveforum.net members,

We've reached the point where the old format was no longer sufficient for handling all the new posts we get each day, so I've expanded the forum by adding more boards that have more dedicated focus. This will make it easier to find the things you are look for going forward, but only if you guys all help out and make sure your new topics are created in the correct place. Sometimes, there will be multiple boards that seem to fit your new post topic, but if you make an effort with each new topic to put it in the correct place, that will be good enough. If threads ultimately need to be moved, I'll handle that.

Over the next week or so, please bear with us while I move old posts to their new boards. The site will fill up with MOVED: posts at first, but I'll clear these out after a few days and things should settle down and look normal again by next week. Thanks guys, and please let me know if there are any other changes that will help make this forum better for you!

admin

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
:ack: We're so high tech now I'll never be able to find anything. :confused:

I guess we're playing with the big boys now. Thanks, admin for giving us such a great forum!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just a question, why dont you have mods on this site or the saturn site. it does not bother me i am just curious about your logic here.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Thanks admin, for a great place to come to be drenched in the Enclave!

My sisters remark was "So you're all just cRaZy, right?!"

Gee thanks for pointing that out. Looking great around here, just the same.[/color]
:cheers:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rollin Thunder - the only logic was that the Acadia site grew very quickly at first and I was completely new at running a forum, so I didn't know what to expect. I knew I couldn't be around 24/7 and thought it would be important to have others around to help watch for problems and issues, hence the moderators. The Saturn forum simply doesn't have enough traffic to have an issue yet, but this one is growing very quickly now, so I probably will want to add mods here in the near future.

There's really no big theory behind it. I certainly don't want to burden people unnecessarily, and want to find members that I can trust.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I guess I'll buck the system and say that I find the new "expanded" format perhaps just a little too organized and spread thin. With all the new forums and "child" forums, I hardly know where to put anything, let alone find a thread from a couple of days ago. There are so many topic-specific forums that it looks like nothing at all belongs in the "General" forum. So why have it?

What I've noticed on sites that categorize things to the hilt like this is that there are some topic areas that are naturally light on discussion. So many people get accustomed to not checking those forums, even if a new thread or post shows up. People learn that all the "good" discussions and information gets lumped into two or three forums and they only check those, or they only check the ones they have a direct interest in. Which isn't so bad, until someone needs help and properly posts his question in a less traveled forum, and it goes ignored for days, or gets one reply from someone who simply says "not sure, maybe someone who knows more will be able to help." I frequent sites with many, many thousands of memebers and a very healthy active member population, and even a dozen forums even there often creates the same problems. Two is too few... twenty-eight is way, way, way overkill. Really... how many threads do you expect on washing your Enclave?

Why have multiple technical forums, for example? That has always bugged me about the Acadia site as well. Why are video reviews different than other reviews? Why a whole forum for polls, when the topic might well fit in one of the other categories. Why can't problems with buying and leasing naturally go along side threads about non-problematic buying and leasing? Why a forum to talk about aftermarket upgrades, and another to talk about buying aftermarket upgrades? Why a forum for how-to's and FAQ when stickies work wonderfully? Even with this post, I don't know whether to respond to the announcement in "site news and announcements" or post it separately in "feedback, questions and problems."

OK, not that it matters, but if I were subdividing content based on the traffic of this site and the limited breadth of the site subject (a single GM vehicle, not a site about all cars etc.), here are the forums I'd create:

General Discussion
Technical Discussion
Articles and Reviews
Picture Gallery
Buying, Leasing, and Ordering Discussion
Aftermarket Accessories
Problems

Then you could do your site news/feedback and links to other Lambda's.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I wouldn't trust Thunder...... ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
While I appreciate the effort, and this is just my opinion...Too many categories...I will miss most everything that I can't see in recent topics when I happen to log on, or General Discussion....I don't think there is enough traffic to warrant all the categories -- Again, just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
360 Posts
osli said:
here are the forums I'd create:

General Discussion
Technical Discussion
Articles and Reviews
Picture Gallery
Aftermarket Accessories
Problems

Just my 2c.
I second the motion. We know have a total of 4 cents. Need to trim them back. "I'm a lumper, not a splitter" (from my college biology days) :thumb:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Here's a great example - my thread entitled "Anyone take apart the Enclave interior?"

At the moment, it is in the general tech forum. The question is specifically about taking apart the interior, and where clips and such are located. But more generally, it is about taking it apart for the purpose of installing the GMX-320 and other aftermarket equipment from coastaletech. But the discussion also encompasses the reason why I'm purchasing this aftermarket stuff to start with - the limitations of the factory NAV and OnStar telephone systems, and what is gained by going aftermarket bluetooth and/or unlocking factory functions.

So, should it go in general tech, interior, nav/radio, or aftermarket (one of the two forums for aftermarket, that is)? And that is just my original post in the thread, let alone follow up discussion.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
osli said:
General Discussion
Technical Discussion
Articles and Reviews
Picture Gallery
Aftermarket Accessories
Problems

Just my 2c.
Don't forget Off Topic - my personal favorite. I vote Yes on no child boards and I vote NO on removing Polls as a board. By the time we all add our 2 cents admin may have a whole $. :eek:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot off-topic... some people gotta have a place to chill. ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
acully i agree, the board layout is way to hard to find stuff, i look at the topics on the right and thats it. we need alot less, and some of the categories are repetive, like someone pointed out its hard to figure out where to put stuff and also where stuff is. but i think we should wait til next week like admin suggested til it is all sorted out to see if we like it or not

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
osli said:
Oh yeah, forgot off-topic... some people gotta have a place to chill. ;)
'xactly :thumb:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
admin, another question

do you offer a fund raiser for the site or is it not big enough that you need it.

there are some forums i go to that sell support things

like at troublefreepool.com

i am a lifetime member because i donated a certain amount of money, and alot of other people do the same, just curious if you will ever do that or if you need to.

you could have brakets of donation plaques, like general supporter when you donate 5 dollars, or special supporter when you give 10$ and platinum if you give 20$, i think that would help you main tain the site and offer little qurkes to being a member, like funding prizes for guessing when we will be at 5000 members or somthing.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Well, like now, I was wondering why we don't have somewhere to post jokes? Or do we. Cuz, I have a funny one. I'm not sure if it is too "BAD" for this forum, but to be honest, I have read worse here. (Sorry it I offend) As follows:

Love my new truck

I bought a new GMC Acadia and returned it to the dealer the next day because I couldn't
get the radio to work. The salesman explained that the radio was voice activated.

"Nelson," the salesman said to the radio. The Radio replied, "Ricky or Willie?"

"Willie!" he continued and "On The Road Again" came from the speakers. Then he said,
"Ray Charles!", and in an instant "Georgia On My Mind" replaced Willie Nelson.

I drove away happy, and for the next few days, every time I'd say, "Beethoven," I'd get
beautiful classical music, and if I said, "Beatles," I'd get one of their awesome songs.

Yesterday, a couple ran a red light and nearly creamed my new truck, but I swerved in
time to avoid them. I yelled, "Ass Holes!?" Immediately the French National Anthem began
to play, sung by Jane Fonda and Barbara Streisand, backed up by Michael Moore and The
Dixie Chicks, with John Kerry on guitar, Al Gore on drums, Dan Rather on harmonica, Nancy
Pelosi on tambourine, Harry Reid on spoons, Bill Clinton on sax and Ted Kennedy on scotch.

****, I LOVE this TRUCK

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good joke, i think offtopic is a good place for them, im not sure, seem logical though

:eek:fftopic:

but its still sep 7th in your part of the world, here its been september 8th for about an hour and 14 min :cheers:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am afraid to post any more, I work full time, taxi my kid to things, housework, cook (ok, not that much), and now mow the lawn, (see off-topic;hobbies) now keeping up with my be-loved Enclave news is taking quite a chunk of time! My 2 cents, I think I'm going nuts!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts