EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i usually upgrade to a new toy,, umm ,, phone every year. i am an old computer tech geek from back in the BBS days before internet, writing my own code and building my own computers so naturally i have to have the latest and greatest tech toys, much to the annoyance of my wife.
so far I have narrowed it down to the 3 best phones on the market at the moment, but I just cant decide between the google nexus 6, motorola droid turbo with ballistic nylon and the samsung galaxy note edge.
if anyone has any experience with any of these phones i would be grateful for your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
my wife wanted a new phablet...we were iPhone 6 Plus all the way....but then I told her, the Samsung galaxy note 4 trounces it in every way--ON PAPER.

They were both introduced at about the same time--which one is STILL on backorder (Apple).

I am by no means an apple fan, I actually hate them. The buzz is that IT peeps use Android, consumers use iOS.

Our family owns two apple products--the original iPad, and an iPad 4. I am also given an Air 2 from work.

Objectively speaking, iPhone 6 or 6 plus is a good choice, unless you are a serious IT person or plan on rooting your android.

app for app, imho Android is always better. But we live in the real world, not in a bubble or in theory.

After listening to all the facts, my wife decided to go iPhone 6 Plus, so she's going over to the dark side. ;D

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I'm struggling with that choice, too. I have had iPhones since the 3, and am very happy with them. So the 6 or 6 Plus is one choice. But Android is certainly the most popular now - my grandson has the new Galaxy 5 and loves it. But I"m also a software developer (and, like mifd118, a long-time techie, getting my ham license at 12 years old and building an early Heathkit computer and digital watch), and really like some things about Windows Phones - except the apps are lagging behind the iOS and Android offerings.

Choices, choices, choices...

·
Registered
657 Posts
I bought an iPhone 6 gold. iPhone fan from 3. Bought 4s,5s and ipad mini as an obeying consumerist US customer. I didn't bought 6 plus because it seemed little obnoxious and offensive to me for the purpose of making and receiving calls, in my opinion.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there are many good phones on the market right now and it is very hard to choose. i had a close look at many phones before narrowing it down to 3 and i did get to play with a iphone6 plus for a few hours. as just a piece of hardware the iphone is a decent phone but not acceptable as a flagship phone, A8 processor only dual channel @ 1.4ghz and only 1gb ram, still using USB2, low quality screen resolution and still using LCD screens. no pen on a phone this big? no multitasking ability to run more than one app at once? still no unified notifications or widgets? these are deal breakers in todays world. the specs are more a case of welcome to 2013. the build quality of the iphone6 is very good, better than samsung and almost as nice as the HTC one M8. the HTC is by far the best quality handset at the moment with it's full metal unibody construction and is beautiful to hold and look at but its nearly 9 months old. the galaxy note edge pushes the boundaries a little bit by utilizing their new bendable screen technology, think of a galaxy note 4 where the right hand edge of the screen is curved around the body to give a new area for quick tasks. the droid turbo and nexus 6 are both made by motorola, the droid turbo i like because of the massive battery life and 8 hours of charge in just 15 minutes charging. the nexus line of phones always showcases the latest of what is technically possible in a phone and the nexus 6 is pretty much the most advanced and powerful phone on the planet, but it doesn't have a stylus!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Samsung Galaxy s4 or s5.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
cfedor said:
Samsung Galaxy s4 or s5.
I have a Galaxy S4, and my wife has the Galaxy S5. We both love them. I do think that the newer S5 is better than the older S4 in nearly every aspect.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I have a Galaxy S4, and my wife has the Galaxy S5. We both love them. I do think that the newer S5 is better than the older S4 in nearly every aspect.
now you tell me. I have an s4 also. Works fine for me.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The galaxy s5 is a great phone. And at 11 months old it still out performs many newer phones, but it is 11 months old. About the same age as my galaxy note 3. So of the new phones available now, the nexus, note edge and Droid turbo are the 3 that stand out from the rest and I still can't decide. A friend suggested the LG g3 and LG are a reputable brand, they invented the touchscreen smartphone as we know them today, but they have lost their way trying to be everything to everybody.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I use iPhone because many of the apps guaranteed to work with iPhone. also new apps are developed fast. for example the chamberlain app for garage door. it will also work with android but iPhone is 100% sure.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paul2010 said:
I use iPhone because many of the apps guaranteed to work with iPhone. also new apps are developed fast. for example the chamberlain app for garage door. it will also work with android but iPhone is 100% sure.
Hi Paul2010, thats great that you like your iphone and it works for you. i need something a little more sophisticated and reliable than what apple can offer me. stats show that apps on iphones currently crash 1.6% of the time, the best iOS has achieved. while android apps crash .7% , That means, for every app crash on Android, there's more than two on iOS devices. plus there are many apps i could not do without that are not made for iphones.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I am also in the market for a new phone sometime after Christmas. I currently have a Droid Max HD and have been happy with it. I am probably going to go with a Galaxy S6 when it comes out.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
mifd118 said:
Hi Paul2010, thats great that you like your iphone and it works for you. i need something a little more sophisticated and reliable than what apple can offer me. stats show that apps on iphones currently crash 1.6% of the time, the best iOS has achieved. while android apps crash .7% , That means, for every app crash on Android, there's more than two on iOS devices. plus there are many apps i could not do without that are not made for iphones.
. Ever since I upgraded my iPad 4 to iOS 8, it's been unstable. Stops charging at 70%, safari locks up, nuts. There have been at least 2 more updates or dot releases. It used to be an Accord, now it's an Enclave. Shame, really. Apple fans would simply look the other way and deny....

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
We have not updated to ios8 on our ipad or wifes iphone due to the nightmares it has caused friends.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
cfedor said:
We have not updated to ios8 on our ipad or wifes iphone due to the nightmares it has caused friends.
Right now it says 61%. Has 39% of the battery really been used up, because it won,t charge more than 70%. If it' slime the enclave, 61% means 18 gal left....I prefer accuracy myself....now the iPad is busted too.... :banghead:

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Is there any way to go back a release on ios? Reflash 7?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Dang, I'm going to sound like a broken record! :happy:

I drove my '08 'Clave 135,000 practically trouble-free miles. And I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 8 without a problem. Maybe I'm living a charmed life!!

However, I did trade my 'Clave for a non-GM car, and will most likely replace my iPhone with a non-Apple product. Go figure!

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
BadAV said:
I am also in the market for a new phone sometime after Christmas. I currently have a Droid Max HD and have been happy with it. I am probably going to go with a Galaxy S6 when it comes out.
I will likely replace my Galaxy S4 with an S6 in the coming months. I am a true Galaxy fan, so I will probably not be swayed from getting the latest version when I am ready and eligible to upgrade.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I've had apple phones since the first iPhone came out and upgraded to the 4 and 5. When it was time to upgrade this fall, I looked at the 6 and 6 plus, and opted for the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active. What finally was the kicker for me was the lack of battery life on the iphone and the lack of being able to stick a 128 gb Micro SD Card in it for a memory upgrade, as well as the ability to swap out a battery on my own. It's taken me some time to get used to the Android software but, overall the phone is great and the S5 Active is drop proof to 10 feet on cement and waterproof up to 30 minutes all without a case.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts