EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm trying a new forum feature that I'd like you guys to test for me. I've added a "Rate a Topic" feature that allows you to assign a rating to each topic, from 1 to 5. Please use this feature when you can to see if it's useful and doesn't cause problems with the server. Here's the breakdown:

0 = Worthless - This thread is a complete waste of time
1 = Poor - This thread doesn't interest me or is so far off topic it takes away from the forum
2 = Average - While this thread doesn't particularly interest me, it has some redeeming value to the forum
3 = Good - This thread contains good/informative information and is definitely worth reading
4 = Excellent - Very informative, something every Lambda owner (or potential owner) should know.
5 = Outstanding - One of the best threads on the site, this forum simply wouldn't be as good without it!

For now, I've only turned this feature on for the main "Enclave Forum" board. Once we test this for a few day and determine it's worthwhile, I'll turn it on for the rest of the boards as well. You'll find the "rate" drop-down box in the upper right corner of the thread, once you click in it. The current rating for that thread is listed both on the message index and at the top of the thread itself. Again, once we determine this work, is bug-free and is useful, I'll also create some tools for listing the top rated thread on the main page (or somewhere), but for now, you can click on the "rating" column header and rank the posts within "Buick Enclave" by rating.

Thanks for your help guys!
admin

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Seems like to me that you could rate the threads simply by looking at the number of posts. Although, as a computer guy myself, I understand your need for trying new stuff! :cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't know if anyone else had this happen, but I received three copies of your global message, all time stamped within two minutes. Maybe I'm just special?! :)

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Me, too. We're both special!!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
ringmaster said:
Don't know if anyone else had this happen, but I received three copies of your global message, all time stamped within two minutes. Maybe I'm just special?! :)
What's a global message? I must not be special because I don't think I have gotten anything. :-[

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, even I got three sent back to myself. I only sent it once though, so I'm not sure why the system triple-sent it. Sorry for the spam, guys! :(

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oops, I see there's a 0 rating as well, so I redid the ratings just a bit. PLease reserve 5 stars for the absolute best threads. I'm hoping we have some good diversity so when they get ranked, the very best 5-10 threads go to the top

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also got 3 emails,no big deal.
I like your idea,we'll see how this turns out.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I had three waiting for me in my email when I got home but I received none as PM's in My Messages.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Makes sense to me.....there are a lot of threads out there...............
J
received 2 copys of email.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, the backlash I've gotten from this event, that was supposed to be a simple test of the notification PM (I chose the PM option, not email), is astonishing! I've received probably 100 emails, some extremely hateful telling me to remove them from my 'spam list', others saying they'll never visit this site again because of the email. Either I really messed something up in that PM or the software went completely haywire. Either way, you guys have my sincerest apologies for the accidental spam and multiple emails. You can be sure I'll never use that feature again outside of an extreme circumstance.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Don't take it personally. Some folks are just mad at the world! Mistakes happen, and this was obviously an honest one. Sleep well!

·
Registered
5 Posts
In my many years, I've come to this realization .... Some folks are not happy unless they are unhappy.

I wonder if the people that said they wouldn't visit the site again since they received the E-mail are people that won't go to a certain pizza place because they received coupons in the mail? Hmmmm.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, I got three copies too, but no new-message notification in the "my messages" tab. Since I seldom send/get messages, I would have missed all three of them for some time.

Frankly, I'm skeptical. The rating mechanism looks like a feature in search of a purpose on this forum. Thats a compliment. The forum has a much higher wheat/chaff ratio than most I've frequented, and the active moderation enforces the filing system and segregates "off-topic" discussions. And when it comes to overlapping thread content (2nd row console, AWD/FWD. etc) the users tend to choose one, and the reverse-date sorting on the topic page keeps the discussion up to date. Thats enough for me.

Just my opinion, of course. Now: how would I rate THIS thread? Could be 2, since I think the ratings will be of little use; or 5, since the ability to discuss matters like this openly with admin is what makes this forum work so well. See the problem?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I received three notifications. No big deal. I really appreciate the way admin lets members know of any prospective changes while requesting feedback. This level of openness makes any glitches only that. Admin, don't take to heart any negative feedback over a simple software error. I'm as critical as any, but this was an honest mistake.

BB

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
admin said:
Wow, the backlash I've gotten from this event, that was supposed to be a simple test of the notification PM (I chose the PM option, not email), is astonishing! I've received probably 100 emails, some extremely hateful telling me to remove them from my 'spam list', others saying they'll never visit this site again because of the email. Either I really messed something up in that PM or the software went completely haywire. Either way, you guys have my sincerest apologies for the accidental spam and multiple emails. You can be sure I'll never use that feature again outside of an extreme circumstance.
Wow, thats a huge over reaction. Who cares, don't worry about it...They are probably not frequent visitors or contributers anyway. Anyone that would get that mad about 3 copies of one email need to find something else to put their energy towards for the benefit of mankind.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts