EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am SO new to this, forgive me for any questions that are obvious to most!

I LOVE the Enclave. Saw one for the first time in a parking lot from afar, and went out of my way to go and see what it was. I was amazed that it was a Buick, because Buick to me = little gray haired old ladies of about 90 years of age, or "Boat". My friends said the same thing when I asked them what came to mind when they heard the word Buick. Am I the only one having hesitations about buying this vehicle because of the 'perception' thing????

Also, on pricing.............other than employee discounts or those with GM cards, am I to assume because the cars are so new and in limited supply that I should expect to pay the sticker price?? As a secondary question, for the options I would want, I could get a Lexus for the same price! Does it make sense to pay that much for a non-luxury car when I could have a top-name luxury car for the same price?

I appreciate any feedback. :-*

SM

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK - I read a post below about the Lexus vs. the Buick.............I got quite a bit out of that :D Please don't respond to that part of my question unless anyone has specific comments (I should have read more before asking that question and don't want to wast anyone's time :'(

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Pricing seems to be a regional issue. Many of us have bought the vehicle for around invoice - nowhere near MSRP. Others have struggled to find dealers willing to back off of MSRP. Personally, if you put in a little bit of work looking around, I would not consider paying much more than invoice.

·
Registered
758 Posts
soccermommyabc said:
I am SO new to this, forgive me for any questions that are obvious to most!

I LOVE the Enclave. Saw one for the first time in a parking lot from afar, and went out of my way to go and see what it was. I was amazed that it was a Buick, because Buick to me = little gray haired old ladies of about 90 years of age, or "Boat". My friends said the same thing when I asked them what came to mind when they heard the word Buick. Am I the only one having hesitations about buying this vehicle because of the 'perception' thing????

Also, on pricing.............other than employee discounts or those with GM cards, am I to assume because the cars are so new and in limited supply that I should expect to pay the sticker price?? As a secondary question, for the options I would want, I could get a Lexus for the same price! Does it make sense to pay that much for a non-luxury car when I could have a top-name luxury car for the same price?

I appreciate any feedback. :-*

SM
My first real car was a 1968 Buick Riviera. It was a boat but certainly a premium hot rod luxury cruiser at that. Recently, since Roger Smith et. al. have changed GM into a cookie cutter company lacking in innovation etc. the Buick brand has languished. Only lately has GM woken up from its daze and is now coming out with improved products and service in most aspects, making it more competitive. But no, I don't think of it as an "old ladies car" as much as I think Lincoln and Cadillac were also, and Lexus is now (at least the smaller Camry based ones). I think the LeSabre was especially prone to the geriatric set, but it certainly was a good value for the money, if not a bit frumpy.

As far as Lexus being a top name, well, that is a matter of opinion. Some of us still consider it to be a jazzed up Toyota in many respects, and that isn't all that bad. But Audi's have much nicer interiors, BMW and Mercedes have much jazzier styling, and even Honda's have equally good ride and handling, while Acura's and Infiniti's are equally luxurious but more sporty. What sets Lexus apart is the reliability and customer service. Everything else screams "me too" IMO.

But the Enclave is what appears to be a new breed: it crosses over several areas of car fashion, practicality, and economy. You get a lot for your money in almost every category. Buick service and reliability has been top notch over the last 5 or so years now. The design is so solid, you would need to go to much more expensive vehicles to find something similar, and Lexus is not comparable IMO until you go to their larger much more expensive SUV. Enclave is more like the new Toyota Sequoia, only better still. So its hard to really compare it to other vehicles, IMO. It certainly is a Buick, but in the Harley Earl, cutting-edge GM of the past tradition.

TM

·
Registered
525 Posts
My advice would be not to worry about "perceptions", by definition, that's just someones imagination, and they change like the direction of the wind. Take one out for a test drive and immerse yourself in the reality of the driving experience. After that you can decide for yourself what the real experience means to you, and make your own judgments about the Enclave. You may or may not be impressed by the Enclave, but in my experience as an owner, I certainly wouldn't pass it by because of old "perceptions" about Buick. This is definitely not your father's Buick, so give it a try!

As for pricing, where there's a will there's a way. It may take some work, but deals are out there. One option might be GM Supplier Discount pricing. It's what I used. I was surprised by how many different companies qualified. Here's a link:
https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/ip-gmsupplier/virtual/pages/html/sd_faq.html

Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
MSRP was $44275 - we got ours for $42000 - not invoice, but I was happy - esp since the price has since gone up as well as the tax rate in MD - so even if I waited to get another 1K off - that wouldve been offset by the other 2 :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Perception: Just got home from the Strawberry stand, yes they are in season here in SoCal. A young man, maybe 20 years old told me he thought my Enclave was really good looking. He asked if it was a new model. He had no idea what brand it was.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yes, car buying is part fashion, part art, part practicality, part ego.

Otherwise, we'd all be driving Hyundai's or something similar, not that that is a bad thing either. :cheers:

TM

·
Registered
333 Posts
htrdgrma said:
Perception: Just got home from the Strawberry stand, yes they are in season here in SoCal. A young man, maybe 20 years old told me he thought my Enclave was really good looking. He asked if it was a new model. He had no idea what brand it was.
The most "inspired" reaction I have received by folks looking at our Enclave was from an early twenties "dude"...he loved it. Buick has changed gears!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
soccermommyabc said:
I was amazed that it was a Buick, because Buick to me = little gray haired old ladies of about 90 years of age, or "Boat". My friends said the same thing when I asked them what came to mind when they heard the word Buick. Am I the only one having hesitations about buying this vehicle because of the 'perception' thing????
SM, you sound just like me when I realized that I was about to buy a Buick. There has always been a Buick in my parent's house and I swore that I would never own one. I've learned to never say never. Am I getting older or are Buicks cooler now? It's a great vehicle and I have no regrets. And it's amazing how your perception changes once you own an Enclave.

Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Does it make sense to pay that much for a non-luxury car when I could have a top-name luxury car for the same price?
Ummmm, maybe you would like to recant that question. Buick IS a luxury division of GM. Always has been and always will be. Buick TIED Lexus for reliability and quality in the latest J.D. Power survey and the Enclave has MORE luxury features and options available that you can't even get on the Lexus (articulating HID headlights, remote start, auto tri-zone HVAC to name a few). I wouldn't even consider the Lexus........it is a "cookie cutter pretender" driven by a bunch of non-thinking "conformists" driven by the MIS-perceptions of the masses. Go with Buick......you will stand out in the crowd for your intelligence and discernment! :thumb: :thumb: Welcome to automotive euphoria!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Hey axiama......and congrats on the NC by your Tigers! GO SEC!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Thank you ccaats. It was an exciting year. I can't wait to see your Tigers next year. >:D

Welcome back. :-*

·
Registered
758 Posts
ccaats said:
Ummmm, maybe you would like to recant that question. Buick IS a luxury division of GM. Always has been and always will be. Buick TIED Lexus for reliability and quality in the latest J.D. Power survey and the Enclave has MORE luxury features and options available that you can't even get on the Lexus (articulating HID headlights, remote start, auto tri-zone HVAC to name a few). I wouldn't even consider the Lexus........it is a "cookie cutter pretender" driven by a bunch of non-thinking "conformists" driven by the MIS-perceptions of the masses. Go with Buick......you will stand out in the crowd for your intelligence and discernment! :thumb: :thumb: Welcome to automotive euphoria!
The last Buicks worth being called a Buick, IMO, other than the recently departed Park Avenue perhaps were those from the 1960's and before. The most recent US Riviera was also a very nice car, right off the show car stage. But while these most recent cars were very nice, Enclave seems to have brought it up a notch. I guess its all about style.

What is MIS by the way?

TM

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Spent a day with a young friend...16-year-old young man...He drove my Enclave for a bit. I couldn't get it back. He noticed how people were "checkin' it out". He loved the look, feel and handling of this vehicle. Plus the extra's (articulating headlights, electronics [and I don't even have the navigational system], third row, all the room). Nope, this ain't your grandma's Buick[/color]... :sunny:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Soccer Mom, you are probably like my wife and I. Early to Mid 30's and when we heard Buick we immediately thought old folks car. We have recently traded both of our Lexus RX 350's in for two new Buick Enclaves. Once you ride in the Enclave the decision will be simple. This car is the smoothest riding vehicle I have ever had and has tons of features. Yes there are a few things I would like to change about it, but not enough to not get it obviously. This is not your typical Buick and most people are doing double takes trying to figure out what it was.

The funniest thing happend over Christmas break while visiting my mom I had a group of young teens on bikes riding by and as I got in my car they were all rubber-necking and sais that is a nice ride. Cool factor is high in all age categories with the Enclave.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've always owned either European or Japanese cars. Owning a Buick never crossed my mind. :eek:hno: A brown Buick...never! :eek:hno: :eek:hno: Guess what, I just picked it up yesterday and love it. It's my family bus and I still have my other baby. Driving it from the dealer yesterday was pure heaven. I got passed that preception thing the moment I stepped in to it during the first test drive. It does not compare to the other cars we looked at. If you can get over the "badge" syndrome, you will be very happy with this car.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Wasn't that long ago that Buick was THE car to have.

Anyway, it may be again. I was stopped by a Lexus driver yesterday and asked how I like the car. He said he was about to buy one.

Richard

·
Registered
758 Posts
rwagoner said:
Wasn't that long ago that Buick was THE car to have.

Anyway, it may be again. I was stopped by a Lexus driver yesterday and asked how I like the car. He said he was about to buy one.

Richard
I've heard people call Lexus the "Buick" of foreign cars.

Go figure.

TM

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have to put my $0.02 in here.

Just a few minutes ago, I saw a brand new Lexus LS-460 and boy am I glad I bought the Enclave instead of a new Lexus sedan. The new big sedan looks WAY too much like a Toyota Camry (spelling). I know they are not the same "type/class" of vehicle, but still....

Even with the clunk noise, which will eventually end up getting fixed, the Enclave has WAY more style.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts