EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first Buick - a 2016 Enclave Leather. I've owned mostly GM cars - beginning with a 55 chevy wagon (six cylinder 3-on-the-tree) my brother and I shared in high school and a GMC, Olds, and Saturn along the way. The Enclave replaces my 2006 Saturn Vue, which went 305K miles before it died. Too bad GM killed Saturn; best car I ever owned.
So I have a few questions to ask:
  1. I'd like to add a hitch receiver to the Enclave. I don't intend to tow a large RV or boat, just for utility type trailers, or a luggage rack, so I'm not needing to go full tow package. I recall reading one of the aftermarket hitches will allow the fascia to be reinstalled to cover the receiver. Can anybody out there tell me which one?
  2. Does the factory towing package use an additional cooler for the transmission fluid or is it simply a larger cooler imbedded in the radiator?
  3. Should I decide to add a cooler for the transmission fluid, should it be installed in series with the cooler in the radiator or installed to bypass the one in the radiator?
I'm asking about the transmission cooler mainly because the only real issues I have had with GM products in the past is with automatic transmissions (except for those bullet proof powerglides) Thanks in advance for answers.

· Registered
7,125 Posts
The early models 09 and 10 had a heavy duty radiator. More fins and rows for coolant to flow.

Some post suggest that later models all had same radiator regardless of wether it had tow package but i cant be sure.
Maybe see if your model year has a hd rad when you search for a replacement on say rockauto

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The early models 09 and 10 had a heavy duty radiator. More fins and rows for coolant to flow.

Some post suggest that later models all had same radiator regardless of wether it had tow package but i cant be sure.
Maybe see if your model year has a hd rad when you search for a replacement on say rockauto
Thanks for the reply. Rock Aoto does list a regular and HD radiator for the 2016 Enclave. Now the question is which option (HD radiator or separate fluid cooler) would yield better cooling. Swapping out the radiator looks like a major task.

· Registered
7,125 Posts
Look on the acadia and traverse forum. I know theres a thread or 2 on adding aftermarket trans cooler and how they did it qnd mounted. Also with info on which line has the flow in which direction.
Is the 2016 enclave still a lambda chassis? Or 2nd gen?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts