EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after driving 16 vehicles (and 11 variations of Acadia, Traverse, and Enclave) The wife finally found the "one"

Think we did OK on it. it's got the 2 (3?) tone brown interior. got it for $27k with 42k on the clock and had a full service and new tires before we took the keys.
Would have liked it to have nav option. but maybe I can afford to swap out a factory nav unit some day in the near future. Other than that I think it's pretty well fully loaded.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A thought about switching out to a Nav unit....

Well, after driving 16 vehicles (and 11 variations of Acadia, Traverse, and Enclave) The wife finally found the "one"

Think we did OK on it. it's got the 2 (3?) tone brown interior. got it for $27k with 42k on the clock and had a full service and new tires before we took the keys.
Would have liked it to have nav option. but maybe I can afford to swap out a factory nav unit some day in the near future. Other than that I think it's pretty well fully loaded.

Just a thought about switching out the standard unit to get a Nav unit. My last 3 cars have all had Nav units buy I must admit I never use the Nav feature anymore. I rely exclusively on my smartphone...Google to be specific. Why? Four reasons: 1. Google maps is free, 2, Google maps is updated almost daily, 3, Google understand speech much better than any Nav program that I've ever used, 4, when I get out of the car at my destinations, I take the smartphone, enlarge the maps and now I have a detailed map around the new city or attraction including Travel Advisor reviews and recommendations. I don't think any Nav app can match that.

Jeff

·
Registered
198 Posts
All that's true, but it sure is handy to have one less cord (you have to keep your phone plugged in to keep it charged) and to eliminate dash clutter. Also, what happens if your phone comes loose in the middle of a turn in downtown Chicago (or LA or NYC)? Both phone based and truck based GPS/nav have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm about to move (600 miles, through 5 states) and plan on plugging my destination in to both my navigation head unit AND my phone. If something happens to one, I always have a back up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good point Monk and one I learned the hard way. Now I use one of those "sticky" pads, got two different versions: one is flat and the other holds the phone horizontal....nothing seems to move with "sticky" pads. In the Enclave, I use the flat one rolled up into a "u"-shape and put in in the depression between the steering wheel and the dash and sit the phone on that.

Here in southern Florida, there is so much new construction, new communities and new roads that on-line real time Nav updates seem to be the only way to keep up with the changing landscape.

Another benefit, is that Google has so many users that it consolidates road info and has a look ahead feature that alerts you to slow traffic ahead, detours, construction and the like and can propose alternate routing to avoid those areas. It must be sending info as well as receiving info in real time. Kinda scary that its tracking you as well as providing info, but I'm OK with the benefit.

By the way...just a tip: Never store your real address in your phone or Nav unit, use one close by. If someone gets a hold of your car or phone they can find their way right back to your house. With remote garage door openers on both the phone and car, its an easy get-in for the bad guys.

Another tip, learned the hard way. Never leave those "sticky" pads on the dash in one place especially in the sun. They get so hot that they delaminate the vinyl dash material from the dash and you get a nice big bubble where it was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
MIlton B
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing