EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just got a 2008 Buick clx. And it has a leak so I have bought a valve cover gasket to be put on am I getting the correct work done?

·
Super Moderator
653 Posts
I guess it's the right work if it's the valve cover gasket that's leaking. But with nothing to go on I'm not sure what you expect this forum to tell you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it's the right work if it's the valve cover gasket that's leaking. But with nothing to go on I'm not sure what you expect this forum to tell you.
From what I'm being told the is also that none of the lighter/charging ports are working can the leak be the cause of this?

·
Registered
367 Posts
For years I was chasing down an oil leak in my wife's 2008. Drove me NUTS. Dealer changed the timing cover under warranty, seemed to work for a while, then the leaks started again. For a LONG time it was just a drop or two here and there, nothing big. Then all of a sudden, it was leaking like crazy. I changed the tube for the oil fill, as it seemed to be leaking there. Seemed to slow but not stop. But when I changed it, I happened to have the engine running as a test while I put the cap back on and noticed air being pushed out of the cap. That's not right. So I checked further ... the PCV "valve" was clogged. It was thus building up so much pressure that it was pushing oil vapor past every gasket it could. So I changed the "valve" (really just a fitting with a hole in the shape of a PCV valve) and modified it with the larger holes as recommended somewhere here. Took a while to bet the oil cleaned off (I never knew how much oil the top cover could absorb), but I haven't seen a DROP on the garage floor since it finally cleaned up.

My advice - check your PCV valve first. You may not need a valve cover gasket changed.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For years I was chasing down an oil leak in my wife's 2008. Drove me NUTS. Dealer changed the timing cover under warranty, seemed to work for a while, then the leaks started again. For a LONG time it was just a drop or two here and there, nothing big. Then all of a sudden, it was leaking like crazy. I changed the tube for the oil fill, as it seemed to be leaking there. Seemed to slow but not stop. But when I changed it, I happened to have the engine running as a test while I put the cap back on and noticed air being pushed out of the cap. That's not right. So I checked further ... the PCV "valve" was clogged. It was thus building up so much pressure that it was pushing oil vapor past every gasket it could. So I changed the "valve" (really just a fitting with a hole in the shape of a PCV valve) and modified it with the larger holes as recommended somewhere here. Took a while to bet the oil cleaned off (I never knew how much oil the top cover could absorb), but I haven't seen a DROP on the garage floor since it finally cleaned up.

My advice - check your PCV valve first. You may not need a valve cover gasket changed.
Thanks for this. But I sid have it changed all the way out the covers that were there had started breaking and becoming corroded and the circle Thingy was cracked

1 - 7 of 7 Posts