EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both my wife and I have Bluetooth capable smart phones. Not being able to use them in our next SUV is a deal breaker. I really prefer the Enclave over the MDX, but we need to use our phones in the car and California law next year will require hands free cell phone use. Does anyone have any updates on this? A Bluetooth search revealed dated info. Confident enough to buy American, but cannot understand why GM makes such poor decisions. :-\

·
Registered
25 Posts
We live in CA too. I just traded my MDX, which I also loved btw, for an Enclave. I don't like Bluetooth. #1 in both my cars that had it ( Acura & Toyota) it sounded like an echo and others had a hard time hearing me. #2 Everyone in the car is part of my conversation - and with kids...not a good idea.

I did ask the dealer about it though when I picked up my Enclave a few days ago. He said that you can buy a blue tooth adapater that works better anyway. So, you can do that or get one of those ear pieces.

But, if you are not hauling a lot of kids around, I'd stick w/ the MDX....we loved ours and the performance is awesome ( yes better than the Enclave) We needed a bigger car than the MDX....

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just add a a Bluetooth adapter, and if it has Nav, add a Lockpick system as well that will incorporate that adapter into working with the Onstar phone system...

http://www.coastaletech.com/BUICK_APPLICATIONS.htm

No, not as easy as it being built in. But it's a FEATURE, and one that can be added, so if that makes you totally decide to cross a vehicle off the list...you obviously didn't like the vehicle itself enough in the first place. Understandable, and aggravating, but it's just a feature. I'd get an Enclave and just have it added...otherwise, go with an Acura, Lexus, etc. and not have the same style, room, other features, etc. and a higher price.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If not having bluetooth is a deal breaker...I would question if there was ever a deal to begin with. I love bluetooth and hate that gm didn't put this feature in the lambda vehicles. However, onstar is linked with verizon wireless. It was more important to me have my car of choice than sticking with T-mobile over verizon. switch your cell carrier not your car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the info. I'll look into it more. I am really just trying to prod GM.........'cause the new MDX looks like the tank from Tango and Cash and the Enclave is so, so much better looking.

While I am at it. Does the windscreen mirror have auto dim and do the outside mirrors angle down when the car is put in reverse?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Black47 said:
While I am at it. Does the windscreen mirror have auto dim and do the outside mirrors angle down when the car is put in reverse?
The side mirrors will if they are programmed that way. I love that feature. The rearview mirror has auto-dimming, if that's what you were asking. Also the driver side mirror dims, or is available I guess I should say.[/color]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Black47 the inside mirror auto adjusts and the outside mirrors can be programed to refocus down on reverse. I persaonlly think that's a useless feature, but each to his own.

I put the aftermarket bluetooth in my Silverado SS and now my Ridgeline and really like that. It does not interfere with the stereo. Cost about $400 by the time I had it installed. I think GM will never add Bluetooth because it competes with Onstar and they want you to use it.

Remember how "hot" the Enclave is. You described the MDX correctly IMO. They ruined a popular design with this new one. Don't believe it will ever catch on. We drove our Enclave out for supper tonight with another couple and they raved at how quiet and smooth our ride was, and it really is a luxury ride.

My son has the Acura TL with bluetooth and I prefer my set up over his.

Just my thoughts. Hope you buy the Enclave!!

Galen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone installed the Raytel Tellphone 5000vi into the Enclave? It appears to integrated all the Bluetooth features into the Navigation screen.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Black47 said:
Both my wife and I have Bluetooth capable smart phones. Not being able to use them in our next SUV is a deal breaker. I really prefer the Enclave over the MDX, but we need to use our phones in the car and California law next year will require hands free cell phone use. Does anyone have any updates on this? A Bluetooth search revealed dated info. Confident enough to buy American, but cannot understand why GM makes such poor decisions. :-\
Hi. I heard of a co. called Moo-Doo that offers a quality rear view mirror w/ Bluetooth built in!!! Shows numbers dialed and more, on the mirror. Acts like a speaker too! true custom fit.
Parrot also has high quality BT stuff. If you want an Enclave, BT will not stop you, with this stuff available. :thumb:
Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been advised by a distributor of Parrot not to use Parrot since I use a Treo 680 phone. I have been told to get a Tellphone 5000vi(www.tellphone.com) and a GMX-320 LOCKPICK(www.coastaltech.com). The total costs plus installation is about $660. I plan to discuss these items with a professional installer tomorrow. My Enclave is scheduled to arrive in December.

·
Registered
313 Posts
See my post in the audio/video/nav section of the tech forum for my experience with the GMX-320 and TellPhone 5000vi. So far I have mixed feelings about this combination. The functioning "should" be very slick and factory like, but some serious audio quality problems are ruining the deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Raytel has advised that their equipment is not compatible with the Treo 680. I now plan to get a Motorola IHF1000 and a harness kit to be integrated with the Bose system when I finally get my Enclave. I hope the Motorola will then be compatible with any Bluetooth phone I purchase in the future. My wife has a Nokia and I get a new one every couple of years.

·
Registered
344 Posts
wow -- I am sooooooo confused! :confused: :confused: I have Verizon, and probably always will. When the law changes next year here in Washington I don't know what to do. It's all very confusing to me. I hear it's too expensive to use the Onstar as your phone. I would love to use Onstar if that's not true. ??? ???

·
Registered
758 Posts
Halle's mom said:
wow -- I am sooooooo confused! :confused: :confused: I have Verizon, and probably always will. When the law changes next year here in Washington I don't know what to do. It's all very confusing to me. I hear it's too expensive to use the Onstar as your phone. I would love to use Onstar if that's not true. ??? ???
You can add the OnStar phone as an extra phone on your Verizon family plan. Should only cost you $10/month for the extra line plus whatever minutes from the family plan you use.

I would do this, but we maxed out our family plan at 5.

TM

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've suggested the Motorola Bluetooth device -- here's a link to a new one that is due out soon -- it will link up any bluetooth enabled music device (and you can buy a bluetooth adapter for your iPod) to the sound system as well as your phone. Sounds pretty interesting to me -- no install needed, can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, which does make it pretty attractive.

http://direct.motorola.com/ENS/T505/T505_carkit_details.asp
MOTOROKR T505

Enjoy your music and calls with the clarity and loudness of your car stereo system. Innovative Bluetooth® technology streams music from your compatible Bluetooth phone or MP3 player to the MOTOROKR™ T505. The built-in digital FM transmitter lets you make & take calls and hear your tunes loud and clear over your car stereo. So you can optimize your calls and tunes, your music will pause if you take an incoming call. With echo and noise reduction and breakthrough StationFinder™ technology, your music and conversations have never sounded better.

Features:

# Volume, Volume, Volume. It’s your choice – use the powerful internal speaker or get as much volume as you can handle by routing calls & music to your car stereo via the built-in Digital FM transmitter
# Take your music everywhere.Wirelessly link your music to your car stereo from a compatible Bluetooth stereo enabled phone or music device
# Clip-tune-and-go. Hooks to the visor and can be taken from car to car. No installation.
# StationFinder™. Breakthrough technology does the work for you - finds and announces the best FM station for a clear FM connection and minimal static.
# Audio CallerID Hear the number of the person calling
# EasyPair™. Exclusive technology simplifies connecting to your Bluetooth devices
# Works with compatible Bluetooth enabled music phones, iPods® and other MP3 players
# Car charger included
# Long battery life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The T505 is basically a speakerphone. It does not allow you to store names or numbers for voice dialing. It allows you to use the features of your phone. The IHF1000 is a complete car kit.

·
Registered
333 Posts
On account of a posting here on this forum I picked up a Blue Ant Bluetooth speaker, works great, looks great in the Enclave due to it's retro design and the charge lasts forever. I'm using it with an iPhone...YMMV but here's the link and a picture:

http://www.myblueant.com/supertooth2.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
I thought that driving the car was the important thing, not using a telephone. No wonder that there's so many accidents!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
The Blue Ant allows me to have my hands free for eating snacks, drinking coffee and checking my email while talking on the phone, sometimes I even pay attention to where I'm going! 8) ...I sure do miss the adaptive cruise control on my Sienna, at least it put on the brakes and gave me a warning sound before I would have hit something. Now I have to wait for my passengers to scream! :argue:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts