EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Enclave. On Thursday, my wife tried to leave the house and the enclave would not start. No crank, no start. I stepped her through how to jump it, but it did not work. No sound at all when trying to start it. When I got home, I got the battery tested and it was ok but I think the reserve failed, so got it replaced. Still no change. I also noticed that when the key turns back to acc there is a rapid clicking for about 2-3 secs and then it goes away. Clicking comes from under the hood. Tried to start multiple times in a row and no change in between tries. Also noticed low gas pops up but my wife swears she at least has half a tank in it. I went ahead and put a gallon of gas in it but that message still pops up. Read a few other forums and tried to replace the relays for crank and ignition under the hood fuse panel, and still no change. All interior lights come on, headlights work and radio works when in acc mode.

At the same time, the power liftgate will not work at the release handle at the back of the enclave, on the key fob, and the button to open it on center console did not open the liftgate. This was the case before and after the battery was replaced. I watch a few other videos and noticed that when the key is in the acc mode, both the key fob and the switch to release it in the center console both work. As soon as I take the key out, the key fob and center control button do not work to open it. I tried what someone suggested and holding down the key fob button for 30 sec but it didn't reset it (didn't work when I pulled the key out). I then replaced both fuses (interior and under the hood) for the power liftgate but no change.

At a loss on what to try next. No clue if both issues are related or just a coincidence that they both happened.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check voltage at Fuse block under the hood. Check connections on the fuse block.
I check the voltage at the battery at it's about 12.1 V. I checked the voltage at the fuse box and it's about 11.9 - 12 V. I checked various fuses and they were mostly reading at 12 V. I checked the connections in and around it and didn't see/feel anything that felt loose.

When I tried to start the car, I hear a faint two knocks after about 2 second of holding it to try to start it. It's repeatable. I can hear it in the enclave but bot so much when I'm outside the enclave. Something new I noticed today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably a coincidence with both problems. You need to check the connections on the starter and connections from positive from battery to the starter.
Just for an example, look at this: Intermittent Power Up, No Crank Condition – TechLink
So today I checked all fuses one more time and noticed that ECM 1 fuse under the hood was blown. I replaced it and tried start l starting the car again. It was cranking but never turned on. Then checked the fuse again and it was blown. Any clue what could be blowing this particular fuse?

·
Registered
15 Posts
2011 Enclave. On Thursday, my wife tried to leave the house and the enclave would not start. No crank, no start. I stepped her through how to jump it, but it did not work. No sound at all when trying to start it. When I got home, I got the battery tested and it was ok but I think the reserve failed, so got it replaced. Still no change. I also noticed that when the key turns back to acc there is a rapid clicking for about 2-3 secs and then it goes away. Clicking comes from under the hood. Tried to start multiple times in a row and no change in between tries. Also noticed low gas pops up but my wife swears she at least has half a tank in it. I went ahead and put a gallon of gas in it but that message still pops up. Read a few other forums and tried to replace the relays for crank and ignition under the hood fuse panel, and still no change. All interior lights come on, headlights work and radio works when in acc mode.

At the same time, the power liftgate will not work at the release handle at the back of the enclave, on the key fob, and the button to open it on center console did not open the liftgate. This was the case before and after the battery was replaced. I watch a few other videos and noticed that when the key is in the acc mode, both the key fob and the switch to release it in the center console both work. As soon as I take the key out, the key fob and center control button do not work to open it. I tried what someone suggested and holding down the key fob button for 30 sec but it didn't reset it (didn't work when I pulled the key out). I then replaced both fuses (interior and under the hood) for the power liftgate but no change.

At a loss on what to try next. No clue if both issues are related or just a coincidence that they both happened.
No crank, no start on our car ended up being the starter.
Did what you had done. Checked multiple things, swapped out some relays, let the dealer have it for a week to drive around to try and duplicate...no dice.

Finally, did some further deep Internet reading, and decided to swap out starter...no issues since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No crank, no start on our car ended up being the starter.
Did what you had done. Checked multiple things, swapped out some relays, let the dealer have it for a week to drive around to try and duplicate...no dice.

Finally, did some further deep Internet reading, and decided to swap out starter...no issues since.
How did you figure out it was the starter or did you just replace it and it happened to be the issue?

I noticed this morning the ECM-1 keeps blowing with the key turned to the on/acc position. Not even trying to crank it. After some Internet searching, saw that it could be the ECM. I disconnected the ECM connectors and noticed that it didn't blow when I had the key in the on position. Was thinking about getting the ECM replaced. Has anyone done this without going into a dealership to get it done. I see a lot of "plug and play" advertisements but also see people have issues with the anti theft system since they didn't go to a dealership. Anyone has experience with this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
How did you figure out it was the starter or did you just replace it and it happened to be the issue?

I noticed this morning the ECM-1 keeps blowing with the key turned to the on/acc position. Not even trying to crank it. After some Internet searching, saw that it could be the ECM. I disconnected the ECM connectors and noticed that it didn't blow when I had the key in the on position. Was thinking about getting the ECM replaced. Has anyone done this without going into a dealership to get it done. I see a lot of "plug and play" advertisements but also see people have issues with the anti theft system since they didn't go to a dealership. Anyone has experience with this?
I finally just replaced the starter, and my no crank no start was resolved.
However, with your fuse issue, you may have other contributing factors.
But look closely at your ground to chassis connections, to make sure all are right and tight. A bad connection could be causing a short, leading to a blown fuse.
As well as your positive connection from battery to starter.
Wish you luck.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
952 Posts
Here is a wiring diagram for a 2008-10. If the 10A fuse blows is MAY be a bad ECM or something after exterior to it. You may try disconnecting connectors one by one until a short clears to narrow it down. Has ANY work been done on the vehicle lately?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had this happen last May, unfortunately we were not at home and had to have the car towed some 65 miles. Order a replacement ECM from Flagship One in New York.
It been working fine since installed. Check out their website fs1.com, comes programmed ready to plug & Play.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had this happen last May, unfortunately we were not at home and had to have the car towed some 65 miles. Order a replacement ECM from Flagship One in New York.
It been working fine since installed. Check out their website fs1.com, comes programmed ready to plug & Play.
Update. It ended up being the ECM. Thanks for the suggestion, ordered one from Flagship One and so far so good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts