EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I noticed this started this winter. Maybe 60-70% of the time after I can get nice heat from the heater and I idle at a stop light, etc the heat disappears. cool air starts blowing out. Once I get moving again the heat returns almost immediately.

Anyone know what might be the issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
1st things Id do..

1- check the coolant level in the reservoir. There is a line on the side that shows the full mark.
2- check the level in the radiator.

I suspect your water pump has a weep hole leak, and you are low on coolant. At idle now enough coolant flows to the heater core.
at idle- coolant stops flowing to the core.... thus the heat slowly ends...

this is my Traverse, but the Enclave is the same.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
by the way, you can buy the special took to lift up the push pin fasteners.. or use a screwdriver-- where youll damage your cover- and most likely break you fasteners..

or you can go to say Home Depot--- and get a paint can opener. (I got mine for free from them).... and use the curved edge to lift up the fasteners....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks so much rbarrios for the prompt and detailed replies!! I really appreciate it.

I will check it out tomorrow morning. Nice tip about the tool to remove the fasteners!

I'll post what I find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rbarrios, Can I use pelleted Bars Leak product as mentioned in the other thread you posted? Any other leak seal product for coolant that you recommend? I'm in Canada, so might not be able to get Bars, need to look.

Took a quick look at the reservoir, is there a special trick to seeing the FULL line? Do I need to get under the car?

Also in the other thread, you recommend getting a water pump from eBay?

Thanks! It hasn't been that bad lately, but I have noticed that the temp level rises more than what I usually see when idling (i.e. at a drivethru).

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
To see the full line- simple lean over the front end of your Enclave and look towards the bottom of the reservoir bottle. Its in a place most folks wouldnt look at..
Just follow that line on the bottle all the way down. Youll see it.

Water pump on ebay.
Find the most up to date part # for the water pump and then search on ebay. Amazon too.
Someone on ebay may have bought one- wrecked their car and didnt get to install it- and may now be selling it cheap to get it out of their garage.

ACDELCO and Bars Leak make this..

·
Registered
402 Posts
You really need to fix this or stop driving it. If you’re seeing the temp gauge go up just idling through the drive thru you’re flirting with overheating and blowing a head gasket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I bought Prestone sealant that you pour in the coolant, has pellets in it. I assume that would work the same as the other products?

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
I believe someone on the forums- recommended against that one.
Make sure its safe for aluminum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Instead of playing with the sealant right off the bat, could my issue be due to low coolant level rather than a leak? I read that coolant 'disappears' slowly for some here.

Regarding the FULL tab on the reservoir... should the fluid be at the bottom, middle or top of the tab?

Instead of opening the radiator cap to re-fill, can I just re-fill by pouring into the reservoir? Don't wanna mess with the tabs on the engine cover unless I have to.

Thanks!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Don't wanna mess with the tabs on the engine cover unless I have to.
You probably should just take this to a mechanic if you think removing those push pin tabs is past your mechanical ability. You can take them off with pretty much anything, screwdriver, pocket knife whatever. You just pop the middle section up then pry the whole thing out. Once that middle pin is up you can pull them out with just your fingers. Not trying to be a jerk, but you have a car that's showing serious signs of coolant system problems (temp gauge going up just in a short idle at the drivethru) and you're flirting with thousands of dollars in repairs if you kill a head gasket or warp a head.

To put it in perspective, lets say you just rip every push pin out and destroy them. You can get a 40 pack of replacements for less than $5.

https://www.amazon.com/GOOACC-Clips-Automotive-Furniture-Expansion/dp/B008427D88/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_bs_lp_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R87Y625JEN590QY73BVC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put in about a cup of coolant in the reservoir, heat stayed at normal levels, but I wasn't driving too much. will drive more tomorrow and see what happens .

When my heat gauge went up before, it went to the first tick after 210 (210 I believe is the normal temp, if I remember correctly).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
3 Participants
DriveAround11
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing