EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see a really good place to post this in the other threads so I thought I'd start a new thread.

We picked up our Enclave and drove it for a couple of hours on Saturday. All of the previous lambdas we had driven, including those with the updated shift algorithm, seemed to have a lazy shift and to be slow off the line. In the words of Gomer Pyle, "Surprise, surprise", there was ZERO of this in our new Enclave. Immediate shifts and it seems to have considerably more grunt off-the-line than any of the other lambdas we have driven. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper!

G

·
isnt there a torque converter that stops you from fast take offs, i have removed that and the speed govner from my yukon and it has alot better torque form a stand still and now with no speed govner i can go over 95 MPH, not that i do that everyday ;), but i can even squeel tires now, before i removed the torque converter i would slowly push the pedel and when it shifted into second gear and floor it then it would GET IT ON. Maybe when we get our enclave i will take the torque converter out after 50,000 miles or what ever the warrenty is

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You DO Not want to take the torque converter out of the Enclave! the tranny needs it!! I think you may refer to something else? The speed governor is a part of the computer I believe and therefore a software change needed? Of course the governor on all cars is firstly and foremost based on the Speed rating of the OEM tires! "V" =150 MPH, "H" =130 MPH etc. ( I think the Enclave is "S" or "T" which means about 100 MPH max! Gonna check later!) Going any faster, for a little while, above the tire's rating, will cause a blowout or tread failure, due to heat! So go easy on the mods, unless you upgrade the tires also! :thumb:

I can get some chirps from the Enclave AWD if I turn off the Stabilitrac switch. But then it grabs anyway. The AWD doesn't like to spin'em. Me thinks the Stabilitrac is always watching...............a little! ;)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's referring to torque control, which is a BIG factor on the 1/2 ton trucks with the V8 and the 4L60E transmission. The 4L60E is marginal at best on the heavy 1/2 ton trucks and, in my opinion, should not have been used - the 4L65E is at least slightly better equipped to cope with the weight and torque. Instead, GM added torque control, which decreases timing, and therefore power, whenever large amounts of throttle is input from a standstill. This protects the tranny until the truck gets up and moving, when the timing is allowed to return to where the pcm says it should be. I can't say if the Enclave has torque control but if it does, I can guarantee it's not anywhere nearly as big a factor as on the trucks.

Some of the handheld programmers, most notably the Predator, can minimize the torque control. HP Tuners or EFI live are a couple of programs that can be used to totally eliminate torque control as well as tune the pcm for almost any parameter you want.

G

·
should have been more clear, didn't know srx new this stuff, i had (yes had, very sad :sosad:) a friend who had the snap on computer and was able to adjust the speed limiter to 120 which is where the spedo ends. I have the mud and sand tires on there, not sure the rating but have been to 100 for about 10 min with no trouble, on a stretch of road no cops no other people and said lets see what this baby can do, tried it with the acadia before i sold it also and found the govner cut it out at 98. :banghead:, before i took out the torque i tried it in gear 1 and no stabilitrak and it did ok but it felt like i was towing another car until i shifted to second gear, and now when in 2HI i can really do some damage to the road. LOL

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
BadAV and Thunder, thx for clearing that up! I now understand what you mean as I've seen some of the handheld programmers used. Sounds like the "torque control" is similar to how traction control works. Retards timing and gas flow so wheels don't spin and you "gain" control. (and save drivetrain too!) Not conducive to "burning any rubber" :eek:hno:
An earlier poster in a different thread, was concerned with the FWD Enclave ,IE... if you pull out quickly in traffic, on a wet road, traction/stabilitrac kicks in and you SIT there, barely moving from the retarded timing and gas choke off! Not good! AWD is a pleasure to pull out in rain. Traction control pre-empts the spin, to barely a hop, and you just go w/all 4 wheels pulling hard! Very much safer, as traffic bares down on you.

I can understand they installed torque control into the computers, especially on the larger trucks to reduce drivetrain stresses. (and warranty claims)
Finally, the tire ratings are critical when changing top speed controls, via re-programming. Thunder, as a fellow off-roader, I know most sand/mud/snow tires are usually not rated for more than 85 MPH!!!! take care:thumb:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Smokin, you hit the nail on the head when you indicated that torque control was mainly added to reduce warranty claims!

G

·
BadAV said:
Smokin, you hit the nail on the head when you indicated that torque control was mainly added to reduce warranty claims!
well the truck is a year old as of last friday, and i have never had it in the shop except to fix the rear heat, which was a silly wire that had not ben plugged in to the rear controls.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
well the truck is a year old as of last friday, and i have never had it in the shop except to fix the rear heat, which was a silly wire that had not ben plugged in to the rear controls.
Glad the tranny handles it. Don't believe they are known for any problems. (4l60e) Mine is just out of warranty and is a purchase, not lease, so I'm adverse to re-programming it now, even though I too would like a little more power out of my Yukon V-8. An extended warranty is quite costly and I'd put the $$ into the sales tax on a NEW Yukon first!!

Let us know if you ever re-program the Enclave's "torque limiter". Curious if the 3.6L has any more guts.

I hear the 6-speed is a "bulletproof" tranny!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Smokin SRX said:
Glad the tranny handles it. Don't believe they are known for any problems. (4l60e) Mine is just out of warranty and is a purchase, not lease, so I'm adverse to re-programming it now, even though I too would like a little more power out of my Yukon V-8.
There are lots of known problems with the 4L60E in the trucks. I believe your Yukon has a 4L65E which is an upgrade over the 4L60E. You can upgrade a 4L60E so that it will safely handle about 600 horsepower max in a truck, but that's with all the performance goodies you can buy (including cryo-treated output shafts). Just check out some of the forums at either performancetrucks.net or chevyavalanchefanclub.com if you're really curious about 4L60E transmissions in the full size trucks.

I'm pushing about 420 hp in my Avalanche and still have the stock tranny in it; I'm concerned about it so I've never brake-torqued it off the line. I've got a shift kit, hardened separator plate, 2600 stall converter, and billet servos ready to go into it this winter. The first thing I did, when I decided to buy a Magnacharger, is to put a 28000 btu transmission oil cooler on.

G

·
how can i tell which tranny i have, ive got the 6.0 liter engine. Also i bought mine i didn't lease ;), the power if about the same when your cruzin, but you really notice the difference when towing a heavy load or wanna take off fast. The tranny is the least of my worrys, Trully i worry about the 100 dollar gas bill every 5 days. :-\

edit- according to WIKIPEDIA.com, the 4l60-e trannys are used in the regular yukon and the yukon denali/ xl denali, i think in the xls the used the 4l65-e

according to WIKI too, the 4l60-E handles 360 pounds of torque, and the 6.0 engines are coupled to the 4l65- is build to 380 ft pounds, i dont think i have that much torque.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 6.0 has the 4L65E behind it.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
LOL, how about a drag race, PINK SLIPS???
You're on! >:D

G

·
MIDNIGHT, OCEAN FRONT, BE THERE LOL LOL. ;D, i think i will race with Bandit, thunder had a hard day muddin, man she needs a bath, but im stuck at work for the rest of today :-[, but im ovesly aint workin , and the 400 hp might also help, although i cant mod it just yet because of my warrenty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts