EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been posted elsewhere in the "Mapquest/Onstar" thread, but I am even more excited about the ability to now just call OnStar and give them an address, or POI, or destination and have them download it straight to the NAV while driving. This is a HUGE improvement as far as I am concerned. Read on.............

GM and OnStar Lead the Way with New Navigation Services

GM's new navigation services include OnStar download to navigation system and MapQuest functionality

Dallas - OnStar today announced the introduction of two new navigational services to complement and enhance its existing Turn-by-Turn service, the most widely available navigation system on the market. These features solidify GM's leadership in navigation with more vehicles on the road with embedded navigation systems and more options than any other automaker.

The first new service is OnStar Destination Download, which enables OnStar subscribers with screen-based navigation systems to quickly input their destination while on the go via the simple press of a button. The second service, OnStar eNav, allows subscribers with a Turn-by-Turn Navigation-capable vehicle to find and save destinations on MapQuest.com and have those destinations sent to their vehicle's OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation system.

"Through OnStar and onboard navigation systems, GM is transforming the category with the broadest range of options to suit customer preferences," said OnStar President Chet Huber. "With 3.1 million model year 2008 vehicles equipped with some form of factory-installed navigation, GM is delivering on our commitment to redefine the availability and functionality of navigation systems in the United States and Canada."

To initiate OnStar Destination Download, users simply press the OnStar blue button to connect with an advisor. Once subscribers provide the advisor with their destination, the destination is downloaded to their navigation screen within seconds. Press the "Go" button on the navigation system to begin the route.

Typically to use a screen-based navigation system, drivers have to bring their vehicle to a stop and place it in park. With OnStar Destination Download, subscribers can have the address of their destination sent directly to their navigation system while still driving, providing a safe, easy and immediate solution.

In addition, OnStar brings more than 10 million point-of-interest records, refreshed every month, to the navigation system. This supplements and greatly enhances the point-of-interest data loaded on navigation DVDs.

OnStar Destination Download will be available on over 80 percent of GM's screen-based navigation vehicle volume or 325,000 Model Year 2009 vehicles. In total, 22 different GM vehicle models will offer this new service.

OnStar's second new service offering, OnStar eNav, allows subscribers to plan their travel destinations on the MapQuest site (www.mapquest.com) and then send those destinations to their OnStar system. When ready to retrieve those directions, subscribers simply press their vehicle's OnStar phone button to access voice-guided commands through which they can select their route. Turn-by-Turn navigation will then launch to guide them on their way.

"At MapQuest we strive to provide our users with easy-to-use features that will save them time and ensure that they find their destination," said Christian Dwyer, Senior Vice President and General Manager of MapQuest. "OnStar eNav is a great addition to our suite of 'Send To' capabilities offering users the convenience of researching and planning online and sending results to a user's preferred device or system."

OnStar eNav will be available retroactively on 2.7 million current Turn-by-Turn capable GM vehicles. Later this year eNav will also combine with OnStar Destination Download to download destinations directly to the vehicle's screen-based navigation system.

OnStar and MapQuest conducted a pilot of eNav beginning in June 2007 with approximately 3,000 customers. A survey of pilot participants showed that 95 percent of them would use eNav at least monthly and 93 percent of the participants agreed that eNav should be offered by OnStar.

"From the pilot we learned that many of our subscribers like to pre-plan their trips, especially when visiting new areas," said Huber. "They appreciated the simplicity of eNav and used it to plan thousands of routes."

Also available to subscribers with screen-based navigation systems is XM NavTraffic, XM's real-time traffic information service is now available in 80 major North American markets. This service feeds comprehensive road condition data such as accidents, traffic backups and road construction to the subscriber's navigation screen. The availability of XM NavTraffic will greatly expand in model year 2009 to the same 22 GM vehicles equipped with screen-based navigation that also feature OnStar Destination Download. XM NavTraffic made its GM debut on the 2005 Cadillac CTS.

Where available, XM NavTraffic subscribers can view a color-coded overlay on their navigation screen indicating the average speed of travel along their planned route.

"GM and OnStar are demonstrating their commitment to providing their drivers with the best in technology, with this impressive expansion of XM NavTraffic across 22 vehicles in the 2009 model year," said Steve Cook, executive vice president, automotive, XM Satellite Radio. "XM NavTraffic provides the most comprehensive information and coast-to-coast updates every minute, ensuring that GM drivers will always have the latest and most detailed information at his or her fingertips. "

"Our varied connected navigation options mean something for everyone whether you drive a Cadillac CTS or a Chevrolet Cobalt," Huber said. "As the leader in navigation our continual goal is to provide GM drivers with useful and convenient services that make the driving experience simpler, safer and more secure."

For more information on each of these navigational services, visit www.onstar.com.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm reading into this that the 2008 Nav systems should be able to get the XM travel updates. I would appreciate any negative info on my presumption.

But since it's been available since 2005...why not now...why do we have to wait for 2009 model release?

·
Registered
225 Posts
As I read it, 2008 Enclaves WILL get the OnStar eNav upgrade to OnStar virtual advisor, but WILL NOT get the new Download Destination, XM NavTraffic, and "Stolen Vehicle Slowdown" features announced for 2009.

I suspect that most new OnStar/NAV stuff cannot be implemented on our old DVD-based navigation systems. Perhaps OnStar directions-and-connections is finally being coordinated with a new (HD based?) factory NAV system.

All we can hope for are DVD releases, but since they dropped the free future release, they may not plan on issuing any.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was under the understanding that the Onstar stolen car slowdown feature is currently available for 2008 Enclaves. At our car show in January, where they used an Enclave as the Onstar demonstration vehicle, the Onstar representative clearly indicated to me that the feature was available. They added that in earlier analog Onstar setups this feature was not available. I hope I never have to use the feature. If in doubt, if we call Onstar, I suspect they can confirm either way.

Press

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
jr7243 said:
So this is available right now on '08s or is it coming soon?

It wasn't available 5 days ago when I asked for it by accident! Hopefully soon. Call Onstar every week and ask for the download to your Nav system. They'll tell you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
[Un]Availability of Stolen Vehicle Slowdown

From the FAQ on the OnStar site. Emphasis added.

3. When will Stolen Vehicle Slowdown service be available, and on what models?

Stolen Vehicle Slowdown service will be available on select 2009 model year (MY) GM vehicles that begin production in the mid-year 2008. More than 1.6 million 2009 MY GM vehicles will have this capability, with Chevrolet accounting for approximately two thirds of the volume. Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is not available on any 2008 MY or older GM vehicles.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Re: [Un]Availability of Stolen Vehicle Slowdown

PrairieWind said:
From the FAQ on the OnStar site. Emphasis added.

3. When will Stolen Vehicle Slowdown service be available, and on what models?

Stolen Vehicle Slowdown service will be available on select 2009 model year (MY) GM vehicles that begin production in the mid-year 2008. More than 1.6 million 2009 MY GM vehicles will have this capability, with Chevrolet accounting for approximately two thirds of the volume. Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is not available on any 2008 MY or older GM vehicles.
OK thx. My main interest was in the TBT download to my NAV anyway! I will try them this weekend again!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OnStar eNav will be available retroactively on 2.7 million current Turn-by-Turn capable GM vehicles. Later this year eNav will also combine with OnStar Destination Download to download destinations directly to the vehicle's screen-based navigation system.
According to the answer I got when I called OnStar customer service, this WILL be available retroactively on 2008 GM models that had factory Turn-by-Turn capability in the OnStar system. She said that only vehicles with Turn-by-Turn OnStar and digital based NAV systems can integrate to provide this feature. Keep in mind that not all 2008 models had Turn-by-Turn capability. When I asked her "when" she said "later on this year" :banghead: I guess we wait..... :mope:

·
Registered
200 Posts
ccaats said:
According to the answer I got when I called OnStar customer service, this WILL be available retroactively on 2008 GM models that had factory Turn-by-Turn capability in the OnStar system. She said that only vehicles with Turn-by-Turn OnStar and digital based NAV systems can integrate to provide this feature. Keep in mind that not all 2008 models had Turn-by-Turn capability. When I asked her "when" she said "later on this year" :banghead: I guess we wait..... :mope:
If so, I would expect XMTraffic updates to also be retro-active...If OnStar can put the routes on the Nav, then traffic patterns should also be put on the Nav. The only missing factor would be re-routing. My Garmin provides that option.

·
Registered
225 Posts
ccaats said:
... only vehicles with Turn-by-Turn OnStar and digital based NAV systems can integrate to provide this feature. Keep in mind that not all 2008 models had Turn-by-Turn capability....
Everything that flows through computers is "digital based"; what did she mean by that? I hope she didn't mean "non-DVD", which would support my non-available apprehension.

Just last week my wife called OnStar and had directions downloaded while we were speeding along on the expressway. I don't doubt that eNav will also download turn by turn directions to OnStar virtual advisor in my car, and perhaps allow us to tag and save other destinations. I just have doubts that they will appear on the NAV screen.

Surely we have all played a round of "he said / she said" to compare OnStar directions with NAV screen directions? They appear to be two independent systems which use the car's GPS. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect our DVD-based systems may not benefit from the fresher map data used by OnStar. And the NAV address book is less appealing if you have to call OnStar anyway to refresh the routing data for a trip.

I have a "Rhett Butler" attitude toward the new XM traffic feature, but that's another topic.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe she may have meant must have "digital based" OnStar as some vehicles have/had "analog" OnStar? Seems like I have read that before. I am going to take a Missouri attitude on this. I will believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I do not know how reliable this source is but I will let the Brain Trust figure it out. Try this address:

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/tbt.jsp

About half way down the page there are two discussions. One is using OnStar, turn by turn, downloads from Map Quest. Which would appear to my eye to be available to the 2008 On Star systems with active Turn by Turn capability.
Now to the stinger, directly across the page from the OnStar download information you will see another box, which deals with downloading the Map Quest data to the Nav Screen. The picture given appears to be that of the Entr. Pkg 3, nav screen. When you click onto the qualified vehicles it lists the 2009 Enclave.
I have not attempted to use the eNav feature, so if there is anyone out there that can shed some light on this, please do so. Thanks for any comments. I have used search and not gotten a definite answer.
BD

·
Registered
189 Posts
big Daddy - I have used the mapquest feature and several times it failed to load and onstar came on said the were having maintenance issues??? over a couple weeks? I prefer the destination download - you click on the onstar button tell them the address they send it to your navigation after they disconnect on the screen it shows the address and you click go and your navigation gives you the directions instead of turn by turn which has problems when you go off route - atleast with my experience I've used it and went off route to get gas or rest room and told it to re-route and it couldn't, I think there is still bugs in this system but it works good if you don't go off route, but very annoying sometimes. try the destination download if you have the navigation it's cool..and available on the 2009

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
As per an Onstar (landline) conversation 10 minutes ago, Destination Download feature ( where Onstar sends the route to your optional NAV screen on dash, not little instrument cluster window, as Turn By turn feature does) will work on the 2008 model at this time. ( I tried it myself 5 weeks ago, and it did NOT) ENAV will work too, she said.

I'm headed out to try both this afternoon. Wish me luck...............

PS....even though I have a BLOCKED, private home telephone # they immediately knew who I was and the phone # !! I thought only the Police and AMEX could do that :eek:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
PS....even though I have a BLOCKED, private home telephone # they immediately knew who I was and the phone # !! I thought only the Police and AM EX could do that :eek:
If you call a toll-free number, any toll-free number, they will know the number you are calling from. This is a separate system from caller-id, is also used for 911 calls (as you mention), and CAN NOT be blocked. [The reason behind this is that they are paying for the call, so they get to know the number.]

·
Registered
425 Posts
wyoenclave and smokin, thanks for your prompt responses. As I stated I had not attempted to use the eNav feature but as wyoenclave advocates have used the standard input of destinations to date.
My posting was prompted by a 2008 owner who stated his nav did not list his address and no 2009 owner had been able to bring it up on nav either. In my usual stumbling manner I was trying to get him to input his Map Quest successful search to On Star's Turn by Turn. So smoking, if you are successful in getting the download to work on the 2008 Nav Screen, hop over and give him a hand. You will find him on a Thread as follows:

Buick Enclave Online Community > Technical Discussions > Audio, Video & Nav > Help from an '09 owner........

You will note it is the topic just below this one in the Nav Section.

The member seeking the help goes by the name of hankvol, I am sure he would appreciate your help.
BD

1 - 20 of 32 Posts