EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that the Enlave 2nd and 3rd row headrests do not adjust, making the car incompatible with a high backed booster seat and therefore unsafe for children between about 30 and 80 lbs.? I can't figure out how what is supposed to be a minivan replacement has this horrendous oversight. What are other parents doing for their kids of this size?

·
Registered
333 Posts
*Enclave* said:
Third row center has no headrest....(hey, maybe Buick can market this as the reason for doing this instead of the visibility reason they have used?)
I use a no- back booster seat.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5172330
We liked the no back booster in certain cars too...it helps keep the kids feet away from your seat too!

Our favorites were Britax seats:
http://www.britaxusa.com/
We never used them in an Enclave but did use them in some vehicles with interesting shaped seats.
The website has installation videos that may answer some questions...

Good luck!

·
Registered
388 Posts
cars12345 said:
Has anyone else noticed that the Enlave 2nd and 3rd row headrests do not adjust, making the car incompatible with a high backed booster seat and therefore unsafe for children between about 30 and 80 lbs.? I can't figure out how what is supposed to be a minivan replacement has this horrendous oversight. What are other parents doing for their kids of this size?
You don't need a back, just the seat, once the kids are about 40 pounds or so.

I also thought the headrests were flush enough that a high back would work anyway. That's not true?

·
Registered
333 Posts
We liked having the intergrated headrest on the Britax for the kids naps, that was the big plus to having a "back". also the Britax back is very thin so it contours to the factory seat nicely...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 5 yr old who rides in a full seat (with back). She decided the 3rd row was where she wanted to ride. I was able to put her seat back there w/o any problems ie. the headrest doesn't interfere. I wonder if your car seat has a lot of "stuff" near the headrest part which makes it thick in that area, therefore interfering with the Enclave's headrest. I'll try to get some pics posted to show what ours looks like

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
My 2 year old rides in a high back car seat in the 2nd row captains chairs. I don't have any problems with the seat fitting.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Cars, What type of carseat are you using? I have two Britax's (Husky and Decathalon) and they are very secure. You may be able to stop by your local firestation and see if they have a certified car seat tech on hand to take a look. Babies R Us has one once a month in my area.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We have the Graco high back booster, my son , who is 7 and weighs about 50 lbs, was complaining about riding in it anyway, so I just took the back off and he sits in the booster... he checked out the car and immmediately moved the booster from the 2nd row to the 3rd row. I guess he wants to be as far away from the grown ups as possible! But I agree, it is a poor design to have the forward tilting headrests that interfere with the back of the car seats.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We tried putting the Graco high back booster in an Arcadia because they did not have a Enclave with the bench and then test drove an Enclave with it in the captain chairs. Did not seem to notice a problem in either case. What configuration do you have in the scond row? (Captain chairs or bench?)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
cars12345 said:
This is a NON-ISSUE. We use a high backed booster seat in both the 2nd row captains chairs and have moved it to the 3rd row with NO ISSUE with the headrest. The seat fits fine. Where are you coming up with this statement that it is "unsafe for children between 30 and 80 lbs"? Maybe a struggling Mazda salesman told you that because he can't move his "SUV of the Year". This claim makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER?????????????

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Considering there are 123 CX-9's available within 50 miles of my NJ zip code, I would say there is a bit of an overstock.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I actually never tried to put the Graco with the back in the Enclave. Since my son is 7 and was complaining about it anyway, I just went straight to the booster only, so I really don't know how the Graco back fits. i might try it on a longer trip since it holds up his head when he falls asleep.... how do these kids breathe with their heads bent over? He sleeps great in the car like that but it sure bothers me to see him sleeping like that! LOL!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a high-back booster in my second row captain chair for my 4-year-old (35 lbs.). No problems whatsoever. Even had a carseat inspection through the health department and it checked out perfectly as I installed it. (Everyone should have one, as the vast majority of car seats are installed improperly -- which can lead to injury.)

Some seats are less compatible with some cars -- as many of the seat manufacturers will state in their own literature. Obviously a statement claiming the Enclave is not safe for children is truly misleading and false. There are many seats on the market which fit just fine (and very safely) in the Enclave.

Went from a Town & Coutry minivan with an integrated child seat (which I loved -- but is very hard to find) to this Enclave. Feel the Enclave is as safe, if not safer than my Town & Country was for all of our passengers.

My Enclave (which I have had since April '07) is easily a great (and safe) replacement for my minivan.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's amazing that our culture packs kids into cars like astronauts going to the moon. When I was a kid we bounced around freely in the back seat, rode in the bed of pickup trucks, mom held her cigarette out the window and the smoke blew into the back seat... We rode bikes with no **** helmets or kneepads, and yeah, we got scrapes and bruises all the time, even broke a bone once in a while. It's part of growing up. Now we treat our kids like they're a freakin' EGG. I tell you, we're turning our kids into a bunch of **** sissies.

Now go ahead, lecture me.

Big "Frank Barone" Larry
[/color]

·
Registered
379 Posts
I agree with you Larry!

·
Registered
67 Posts
We do a LOT of things differently than we used to. I remember riding my bike all day w/o a helmet of any kind of safety system. Same with riding in a car. But we evolve and learn. Perhaps we all rode w/o seatbelts or helmets, but then again some of us who did that didn't make it to adulthood. If wearing a helmet or using a car seat saves 1 kid, then it's worth it, especially if its mine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
In our society we do worse things to our kids than exposing them to potential physical injury. We teach them (and let our schools teach them) that every bizarre, wacko political or social belief and/or sexual deviation is entitled to the same level of respect and validity as (let's call them) "mainstream" beliefs. We teach them not to be "judgmental," so instead of being able to make value judgments, they think that everything has equal value when common sense tells us that yes, some things are better than others. So they learn that the only thing that is "bad" is to make a value judgment that something is "bad." We allow them to scream, whine, carry on, demand, and maintain other infantile behavior into adulthood because discipline is "so negative" and they should be entitled to "express themselves" (instead of developing self-control, delayed gratification, and other aspects of maturity). We teach them that their "feelings" take precedence over common sense, duty, or logic. We raise them to think that voting for American Idol is vitally important but voting in a general election is a waste of time. In these and other ways, we permit a large percentage of American children to grow up immature, dependent, inarticulate, unable to make meaningful decisions (because they don't have the criteria for decision-making), with a feeling of entitlement, and generally unfit to take a meaningful role in adult society. But at least we keep them "safe." That is, until one of those types of people who we're not supposed to call "bad" and not supposed to profile (either ethnically or psychologically) walks into a shopping mall with a rifle or a bomb vest and guess what -- injures our children. With all due respect, of course.

Big Larry For President
[/color]

En-Clave said:
We do a LOT of things differently than we used to. I remember riding my bike all day w/o a helmet of any kind of safety system. Same with riding in a car. But we evolve and learn. Perhaps we all rode w/o seatbelts or helmets, but then again some of us who did that didn't make it to adulthood. If wearing a helmet or using a car seat saves 1 kid, then it's worth it, especially if its mine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
OH I see Big Larry is part of those who think what they believe IS the right thing, and that ideas that he does not espouse are "wacko".
How can you or anyone decide what political/social belief is wacko? As long as they are not out to hurt you or me, believe what you will.
Kids need to be allowed to be kids. I discipline my kid, if she gets out of line, but if she isn't bothering anyone or doing something that is harmful, I let her play, be creative, and express herself. She has more of a chance to become a leader this way than if she is told what to do every single minute, to sit still, and to judge everything and everybody.
Teaching them respect, tolerance, is not mutually exclusive to teaching them to becoming articulate teaching them the importance to vote/volunteer etc.
Remember what they learn at home will ALWAYS trump what they learn at school as long as you are involved in their lives.
More reading --- Less TV

Look at it this way, the more unfit children come out of "the system" the fewer will be ready to compete with yours for the CEO jobs...
But we digress...

·
Registered
184 Posts
No, I don't believe that all ideas contrary to mine are "wacko." However, there are certainly a lot of wacko ideas out there. Obviously I chose the beliefs I presently hold because I compared them to others and decided they were better. And I have changed some of my beliefs over the years as new information became available or my perspective changed.

When I was young I considered myself a liberal. Then over the years, the definition of "liberal" itself changed, from a person who believed in the supremacy of individual rights against the government, to a person who (generally) supports the idea that anything traditionally American is bad and anything anti-American is good. Yeah, yeah, I know, that's too sweeping a generalization, but consider it the equivalent of a TV Guide one-line summary of a movie. (Like: Titanic[/color] [8:00 PM]: Luxury liner sinks in 1912).

Nobody on this board should feel personally criticized by my generalized views on American children. It's not necessary to defend yourselves or your kids. All I said was that a large percentage of American kids are fat, dumb and undisciplined. Present company excepted, of course!

Now back to our Enclaves: how many Mexicans do you think we could stuff into one and bring into the country? ;D

Big Opinionated Larry
[/color]

En-Clave said:
OH I see Big Larry is part of those who think what they believe IS the right thing, and that ideas that he does not espouse are "wacko".
How can you or anyone decide what political/social belief is wacko? As long as they are not out to hurt you or me, believe what you will.
Kids need to be allowed to be kids. I discipline my kid, if she gets out of line, but if she isn't bothering anyone or doing something that is harmful, I let her play, be creative, and express herself. She has more of a chance to become a leader this way than if she is told what to do every single minute, to sit still, and to judge everything and everybody.
Teaching them respect, tolerance, is not mutually exclusive to teaching them to becoming articulate teaching them the importance to vote/volunteer etc.
Remember what they learn at home will ALWAYS trump what they learn at school as long as you are involved in their lives.
More reading --- Less TV

Look at it this way, the more unfit children come out of "the system" the fewer will be ready to compete with yours for the CEO jobs...
But we digress...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts