EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***Please remember that this is a publicly accessed forum, so any personal information posted, attached, or linked will be available for all to see. Please take the time to carefully screen posts for personal information that is intended to remain private. Additionally, when attaching photos or documents, please be careful to effectively black out or otherwise obscure sensitive personal information unintended for public display.***

·
Registered
264 Posts
If I could add....

Web forums such as this one are constantly scanned by web bots, always on the look for certain info. Be it email addresses or phone numbers its always being watched.

Never post your info of any kind on the open forum. Use the PM feature for that where the bots can't reach.

If you ever want to test this...just post a phrase and then copy it, then do a Google search on the very phrase and it will pop up.

Data is constantly mined gathered and packaged ...then sold. Google makes money.....lots of it, but not from free email accounts. :eek:hno:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are good points. Thanks for highlighting some of the mechanisms which are used to compromise personal information.

·
Registered
661 Posts
stealthbob said:
If I could add....

If you ever want to test this...just post a phrase and then copy it, then do a Google search on the very phrase and it will pop up.

Data is constantly mined gathered and packaged ...then sold. Google makes money.....lots of it, but not from free email accounts. :eek:hno:
The following is a test:

Elwood P. Suggins, phone home.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
:happy: So you like Jonathan Winters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AndqXdbiJJE

You do know that he is from Dayton and his family at one time owned the "Winters Bank" and hi-rise downtown. The building is now known as Kettering Towers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Funny but to prove my point...

Copy my entire post and paste it into Google....what is the first thing you see.

You may not see your search on your phrase on the first page but it is there...out there for all to see.

Certain bots target what a phone number looks like and goes after that...some target anything with @myisp.com.

This info is all sold....just keep an eye on the Google adds out there, they always pertain to the subject matter you recently searched for.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just tried it in a Google search, and it did come up in 5th place on the first page of the search response list. The effects of web bots is quite strong.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has been a while since this warning has been brought to the forefront of attention, so I am bumping it for the benefit of our members. Please be careful and vigilant at all time when posting and browsing this forum and the Internet. ;)

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
same goes for pics.
Ive posted pics--
which were on my old earthlink acct.

I eventually closed that acct...
But lost the pics...

Well went on google/yahoo months later-- and searched for- hitch carrier.

clicked on IMAGES...

and looked thru a few pages... and there they were--- snapshots of my pics.
I was able to save them again. Not full resolution-- but good enough I reposted them

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please review this thread as a helpful reminded about forum security. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
All good suggestions regarding ones privacy in this wild, wild west internet. What I've also done to minimize/eliminate trackers is use a free software download called Ghostery.

It's really interesting to see the number of trackers (which are companies who collect information on what you look at when you go to a website). As I was keying this, I just refreshed this page and Ghostery blocked the following trackers:

AddThis
eXelate
Google Adsense
Google Analytics
ScoreCard Research Beacon
Viglink

Here's their link: https://www.ghostery.com/

Try it, you'll like it.

Jim
In God We Trust!

ps Additionally, when you take pictures, set your camera so that Location is turned off. Having it turned off eliminates the ability of unsavorys to trace exactly where that picture was taken. I'm not being paranoid here, but posting pics of children in a public forum would best serve their safety by not disclosing their location.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been successfully blocking most internet trackers with Do Not Track Plus (DNT+). Unfortunately, I am unaware of filtering programs that are effective for my Droid.

·
Registered
177 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I just tried it in a Google search, and it did come up in 5th place on the first page of the search response list. The effects of web bots is quite strong.
I just did the same google search and it was the first thing that came up! Is my email address in my profile public? if yes, only to members?

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
FortWayne1 said:
I just did the same google search and it was the first thing that came up! Is my email address in my profile public? if yes, only to members?
Your email is not visible.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
FortWayne1 said:
Thanks, Sailfish. I've enjoyed your kitchen remodel updates!
You are so welcome and thanks as well!!! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
sailfish
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing