EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

OEM Trailer Hitch

12K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  2034 
#1 ·
Howdy All.

I have had my Enclave for a couple of weeks now and decided to investigate adding a hitch and wiring harness. I stumbled across the following thread in this sister forum...

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=478.msg21642#msg21642

I took the Enclave in and they are going to do the TSB wiring harness modification under warranty (which is nice). The parts for the TSB are on order so the wiring part should be taken care of soon.

Has anyone installed the OEM hitch (GM part number 15926187)? If so, where did you order it from?

Thanks,
Dave

#2 ·
Is this TSB also for the 08 Enclaves w/o factory tow package? Like many people, I had to sacrifice the tow package just to get my hands on one. I am planning on purchasing the reciever hitch you quoted from gmpartsdirect.com ($125) compared to $122 from Hitch-finder.com. The problem with the aftermarket ones I am hearing is that you will lose usage of the nice fascia plate when the hitch is not in use.
Since all I'll be towing is a small utility trailer, and using a hitch-tray, I'm not concerned about tow-haul mode or a tranny cooler. However, I want to keep the factory look.
Wanna hear something sad? Bought my Enclave on 8/9/08, then the very next day I had to leave for China. Haven't seen it since. I think my wife would be pretty shocked to hear that I miss the car more than her!!!

#3 ·
Installed a hidden-hitch on the clave this past weekend. Bought the hitch on ebay for $105. Need to lower the exhaust (remove rubber piece on either side supporting dual exhaust). Easy process that took about 40 minutes. Thought I would miss the cladding piece, but the enclave still looks great! The replacement cladding for the hitch is available for $100, but would cost an additional $100 to be painted to match.

#4 ·
wii-man said:
Wanna hear something sad? Bought my Enclave on 8/9/08, then the very next day I had to leave for China. Haven't seen it since. I think my wife would be pretty shocked to hear that I miss the car more than her!!!
No, I am pretty sure Axiama's hubby would feel the same ;D ;D

#5 ·
Now I had to take one WITH the towing package to get the Clave I wanted. Wanna trade, wii?? *L* I didn't really have a need for the package, as I don't have anything to tow...but figured it could come in handy someday, and having a utility trailer WOULD be nice! I was concerned about the wiring harness, cuz mine came with some wire just laying loose in the cargo tray...and I figured there would be some extra work. Too bad they don't supply this complete and ready to go...with hitch and harness ready to hook up. But I guess it still depends on what you'll be towing and all. The dealer told me the transmission cooler might also be a nice plus on warm days when I am climbing the mountain upon which I live. I haven't really had the opportunity to use it, tho...and wouldn't know if it was doing anything constructive, anyhow. Awww, well...if I run into a nice used utility trailer somewhere's...I may just pick it up and the rest will just have to fall in place. What's the TSB on this one?? Guess I better read it.

#6 ·
KMunch said:
Now I had to take one WITH the towing package to get the Clave I wanted. Wanna trade, wii?? *L* I didn't really have a need for the package, as I don't have anything to tow...but figured it could come in handy someday, and having a utility trailer WOULD be nice! I was concerned about the wiring harness, cuz mine came with some wire just laying loose in the cargo tray...and I figured there would be some extra work. Too bad they don't supply this complete and ready to go...with hitch and harness ready to hook up. But I guess it still depends on what you'll be towing and all. The dealer told me the transmission cooler might also be a nice plus on warm days when I am climbing the mountain upon which I live. I haven't really had the opportunity to use it, tho...and wouldn't know if it was doing anything constructive, anyhow. Awww, well...if I run into a nice used utility trailer somewhere's...I may just pick it up and the rest will just have to fall in place. What's the TSB on this one?? Guess I better read it.
KMunch, I certainly don't want to upset you or any one else but I am a little confused. The pkg discription reads as follows:
"V92 Trailering Provision Package, 4500 lb includes transmission cooler, wiring harness and factory installed hitch
1 - Includes (QD5) compact aluminum spare wheel."
This is on the 2009, the 2008 doesn't mention the Spare, I don't believe.
In either case, wiring harness should be more than 'Loose Wires in cargo tray", in MPO. I suspect you have to buy the connector as they don't know what pin number you will be using. I may be wrong, but I would certainly visit with your dealer. If I am wrong I am sorry. My Burb has the pkg and the wires were connected, fused and taped to prevent shorting. The same with the crew cab before it. You might want to check it out.
It would certainly make it easier, safer and cheaper to make it "trailer ready" I know time changes almost everything but this doesn't make sense to me.
Good Luck, BD
PS: Well I was right on part of this post at least. Please check your Enclave manual for 2008, Section 4, pg 39. I am reading a pdf copy we were given not too long ago. In brief all wires are connected except the Trailer Brake and Battery Feed Lines. Instructions are given on location on Fuse Panel where they go. It also states the connector that goes on the Enclave is furnished. If you have a 2009 you should find simular instructions, I am still waiting for my 2009 so I can't give you a direct reference on them.

#7 ·
The '09 is connected...the wire that's in the back is only if you don't have an adapter to fit the round plug that's already installed. Son #2 went out and checked it for me a couple of nights ago. I've reading my 500 miles for the break in period, so we may pull a small utility trailer to the mountains this weekend.

#9 ·
Hi, i know this is a tiny bit OT, but--
1. Where can i download a pdf copy of the Owners Manual for 2009?

2. Does the Enclave Trailer Connector have the Reverse (Backup Lights) pin connected? Our boat trailer with surge brakes has provision for disabling the surge brake when backing up, and this solenoid is activated by the Reverse pin. Our current 04 Explorer has it wired, so I did not have to do anything. IF the Enclave does not have it connected, do i need to have the dealer do it before delivery, do it myself or ???

tia,
Ron

#10 ·
I just bought an 09 enclave today and I'm picking it up tomorrow. It didn't come with the towing pkg. and I wanted them to put an OEM hitch on. Does anyone know how I can tell if they put an OEM hitch on at 425.00 or some other hitch that cost less but still cost me 425.00 ???

#11 ·
OEM or some other hitch is one thing BUT isn't the $425 the price for the towing package option that includes the trailer hitch, transmisson cooling, wiring harness? if all they gave you is a hitch for $425, you paid too much..imho.

#12 ·
rcrules said:
Has anyone installed the OEM hitch (GM part number 15926187)? If so, where did you order it from?
I used the GM part number from the Acadia forum and emailed GM Parts to find the Buick Enclave Trailer Hitch Platform part number

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com has it for $121.88 and shipping is $24. My dealer told me they would match online prices for original GM parts so that should put me at $130 with tax and no shipping. Note NC residents pay tax at GMpartsdirect.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.