EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

How would you rate your transmission performance?

• AWD- No Complaints, Completely Satisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AWD- Some Hunting, but Very Acceptable

• AWD- Hunts too much, Annoying but would still buy again

• AWD- Unacceptable Performance. Would not buy again

• FWD- No Complaints, Completely Satisfied

• FWD- Some Hunting, but Very Acceptable

• FWD- Hunts too much, Annoying but would still buy again

• FWD- Unacceptable Performance. Would not buy again

1 - 20 of 152 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like this poll to serve as the official Transmission Satisfaction survey, broken down by AWD vs FWD, which should help GM get a better handle on which models are having the most issues. I've set it up so you can change your vote in the future. That way, if you start noticing a change for the better or worse the more you drive it, you can come back and change your opinion. I'd like ALL Enclave owners here to vote in this so we can have an accurate gauge of the percentage of members here with problems.

If you do have transmission issues, please also post your build date (found on the end of your drivers door) and whether you know for sure if you have the latest tranny update. Feel free to describe the problems in detail and the conditions in which your issues are the worst. If you have no tranny problems, please refrain from posting here with messages such as "no problems whatsoever". Your vote at the top will serve as your count of a positive experience. I want this thread to ask as a collective voice to GM of the transmission problems some of our members are having.

Thanks,
admin

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Build date of 08/07 and am having issues! According to my dealer i have the update installed. As I have posted earlier this vehicle on hills is totally different than on level terrain.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
It's not covered in the poll, and that's OK, but my only real complaint is that I would like it to hold a given gear longer when accelerating at a moderate or lazy pace.

Mine is a very early build, delivery in April, with the updated software from August/September timeframe.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
FWD some hunting but acceptable. Some days I don't notice at all, other days more.
Build date april 2007
I have had one update.
You mention 2 updates??

MRBUICK

Edit by admin to reply: MRBUICK, my comment on 2 updates was globally for all Lambdas. The first was in Feb 2007 for 07 model Acadias/Outlooks. That update would have served as the basis for the original Enclave builds. I mentioned it only to show that it's a continuous work in progress by GM. My apologies for the confusion.

EDIT by MRBUICK to ADMIN: Thank you for the clarification. I suspected that might be the case.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I agree with Zman. Though I am satisfied with the Enclave, but will look at other options available in 3 years when the lease is up. I guess I will go with something else next time.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Build date Sept. of 07. Too much downshifting on hills, won't hold a gear on hill, cycles through gears on hill, too early of upshifts with normal acceleration.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
coop said:
I agree with Zman. Though I am satisfied with the Enclave, but will look at other options available in 3 years when the lease is up. I guess I will go with something else next time.
Coop, why do you feel you will you be looking at something different if I may ask for specifics?

·
Registered
49 Posts
AWD - June 2007 build date - had one PCM update. Still hunts for gears, sluggish going uphills due to failure to quickly drop into lower gear. Love the vehicle, tranny performance disappointing. GM please do something!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a question (maybe dumb) but by it's very nature, wouldn't a transmission with 6 gears by its very nature shift more?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
bsox said:
Coop, why do you feel you will you be looking at something different if I may ask for specifics?
You asked me the wrong question dude, hopefully I can answer it without annoying many people here. ;D

Some minor knit picks. I have some durability concerns. 6-7 months of ownership and I have started noticing some funny noises around as I drive on the wonderful streets of NYC and surrounding areas. There is this annoying screeches from driver side rear (suspension I guess), like it needs lubrication or something, I have to take it to dealer to find out exactly. Front passenger side headliner makes noises over the bumbs as well. Rear passenger door seals are peeling again after dealer fixed them 4 months ago. The fact that Nav halts when the vehicle is in motion. And above all I am not satisfied with the way tranny is. I know it is work in progress and hope that it will be fixed after some updates, but after spending $45Ks I dont wanna be GM's lab rat to tell them they need to fix something. It is something basic, and they should have fixed it before launching the 3rd vehicle in the series!!! I would care less for everything above, except for the tranny. That is something that my wife, who only knows how to change the gears in the car and operate other basic things noticed, she added this thing is slow at ramps and when merging in to the highways. Take these minor things and poor city mileage then add up to make a strong case to look somewhere else next time. Though if Enclave V8 (super) comes along by October 2010, that will be something to consider :thumb:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Thank you for your honesty Coop. I don't think you should worry about annoying people here, I seem to do it enough. If people are annoyed by your honesty, they are at fault not you.

I want to love this car, I am not a rich man and this is the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased. My first American in many years, I was worried about that, but it seemed so nice and was getting such great reviews. I wanted to love it, the tranny prevents me from doing so. I also have a sticky fuel gauge, have had warning lights come on and off with no obvious reasons why, my nav screen flickers bright to dim bright to dim, and am getting worried. I did not lease, but bought. I agree 100 percent with your lab rat analogy. I was just thinking tonight with all the back and forth I have had on this forum with people regarding the tranny, why would they do everything else seemingly so right and release this with a less than perfect drivetrain and tranny match. Isn't that really the most basic thing to get right?

Again thanks for your honesty, I really hope there can be software upgrades that can resolve this issue to at least make it acceptable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
coop said:
You asked me the wrong question dude, hopefully I can answer it without annoying many people here. ;D

Some minor knit picks. I have some durability concerns. 6-7 months of ownership and I have started noticing some funny noises around as I drive on the wonderful streets of NYC and surrounding areas. There is this annoying screeches from driver side rear (suspension I guess), like it needs lubrication or something, I have to take it to dealer to find out exactly. Front passenger side headliner makes noises over the bumbs as well. Rear passenger door seals are peeling again after dealer fixed them 4 months ago. The fact that Nav halts when the vehicle is in motion. And above all I am not satisfied with the way tranny is. I know it is work in progress and hope that it will be fixed after some updates, but after spending $45Ks I dont wanna be GM's lab rat to tell them they need to fix something. It is something basic, and they should have fixed it before launching the 3rd vehicle in the series!!! I would care less for everything above, except for the tranny. That is something that my wife, who only knows how to change the gears in the car and operate other basic things noticed, she added this thing is slow at ramps and when merging in to the highways. Take these minor things and poor city mileage then add up to make a strong case to look somewhere else next time. Though if Enclave V8 (super) comes along by October 2010, that will be something to consider :thumb:
Hey Coop, I was wondering the same and appreciate your detailed explanation here. I have lots of respect for your place on this forum so could never be annoyed with you! What you have said here makes lots of sense and I guess we will know in the next two/three years if we've made the right choice. Unlike some others, I do not have a problem discussing every issue here, and I don't believe ONE PERSONS opinion matters more than anyone or everyone else's. Heck, I love the looks and operation of my vehicle. I'm not hard to please. I'm not very knowledgable about cars and learned "everything I needed to know" about buying cars from you guys. I just know what I love and if it runs well...what the heck, I have a winner! It's you guys (gals) who really know what you're talking about who will help GM, untimately, succeed with this vehicle...if it's meant to be. GM MUST give their customers the best they can give, or they will never win the "car wars" with the imports or the other domestics, for that matter.[/color] :cheers:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Thanks for all your support and understanding. I read my post again and wanted to clarify that I still love it. I look back 7-8 months ago, when I was searching dealer inventories and was desparate to get the vehicle from wherever I could, I still love it very much and hope to get these little issues resolved soon. It is my first American vechicle ever, and it has certainly increased my faith in domestics.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Good deal Coop. You come across as fair and balanced in what you write.

I am apparently one of the happier owners. My 98 Outback had head gaskets replaced and the short block replaced due to piston slap. All in less than 60K miles. My 06 Outback is going in next week for a new transmission. Our 03 Expedition was nothing but problems. None of them major, just a bunch of minor and repeated annoyances. Knock on wood - I may have finally beaten the odds with our Enclave. Aside from a rattle in the headliner and the squeaky brake pedal I have no real reliability complaints.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I agree with you 100%. This is my first American made car in many years and only the second & third Buick I have owned. I swore I would never give Buick another chance after my first one, but I really like the Enclave.

Apparently, I got lucky with the transmission, as ours don't seem to have much of an issue. I will know more about that after late Feb or March when we go to Denver to go skiing.

I do know this, if the Enclave(s) don't pan out, I will not be buying another American made car.

I got pissed at Lexus due to the way they had treated me when I started looking at new cars, but maybe I should have looked passed that and paid more attention to the vehicle.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I live in relatively flat country in Kansas, but the flint hills provide those tests and I agree with bsox about the numerous shifting and hunting and still not getting it right on the hills. Our everyday driving complaint is the "too soon to shift into third gear" and at too low rpm. We sold our 320 hp Denali in favor of this 275 hp Enclave. Both were AWD, but the Enclave advertised its new high tech V/6 and equally new 6 speed transmission would make this car very drivable and it sounded good to me. The real life experience is it is very very sluggish on any ramp and in traffic while in Drive mode. So I have to drive in "L" and manually hold it in gear longer to keep the power range. My take on that is it uses more fuel to be underpowered all the time. I have a good reference point in my '07 Honda Ridgeline that only has a 5 speed auto, but holds gears to the 2800 to 3000 rpm under the same driving patterns and is always in the right gear to accelerate. And it makes just as good gas mileage if not better. And it certainly feels more athletic. The Enclave feels athletic enough if I hold the shifting until higher rpms. That is in town, but I tire of having to always look to see what gear I am in and watch the tach all the time. If I wanted a manual, I would have purchased something with one. Very simple.

As for highway and hill climbing, I expect and demand my cruise control to keep my intended speed. I won't accept it any other way. Why should I? If it can't do it, is it because it doesn't have enough power or is it the transmission? I say it is the transmission. Sure a steep enough hill would be a problem for almost anything short of a Corvette, but I'm not talking steep in the Flint Hills of Kansas, but am talking long gradual climbs. Why should I have to drop it out of 6th to hold anything?

I am fed up. I bought two new cars in '07 and really did not plan to buy again in '08, but this beautiful WDT Enclave with 19" wheels is NOT the vehicle of choice when we back out of our garage. It simply sucks as a driver. No pleasure in driving it anywhere.

I am convinced this is not just my problem. I do not believe that. I puchased Aug 16, '07 and the build date is June '07 and I had the flash within a week or two of delivery date. I do not drive this car hard.....it is my wife's car, but she also complains and she never complains unless it is that I drive too fast. She is very conservative and yet she asked last night if I was ready to get rid of it. I am indeed!!!! If GM doesn't respond favorably to me. I will be gone and will not return. That is how angry I am right now. I've had enough!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
BTW admin, thanks for running the poll and offering to accept our commennts. This is more positive action than I have seen to date. I do want an ear with GM, but collectively is our best chance to get something done. I hope this works!

GS

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
The initial responses and complaints seem to indicate that this more of an issue with AWD. The owners who are most vocal about the problems seems to be those with AWD ???yes?
Either way, it NEEDS to be addressed with GM NOW, before they lose the customers they tried so hard to get back.

***Don Willems, any comments?***

MRBUICK

·
Registered
644 Posts
gshields said:
BTW admin, thanks for running the poll and offering to accept our commennts. This is more positive action than I have seen to date. I do want an ear with GM, but collectively is our best chance to get something done. I hope this works!

GS
My thanks to admin, coop, bsox and others for their candid remarks. These are really a help to me. I really want this car, but will be taking a very, very careful look at how GM responds to ALL of the concerns stated. I so much want to return to an American car. Now, we'll see........................................

BB

1 - 20 of 152 Posts