EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife got very unlucky today and had a deer run across the interstate right in front of her... hit it full on at 65mph. Curious to see what the damage will be, but given that the airbags deployed, the driver's door doesn't open and the LF fender is all out of whack, and that we have antifreeze leaking, I'm thinking the damage is more than superficial. I guess we'll find out, but it hurts to see!

She's OK, but the Enclave most decidedly is not. Thankfully, it did its job, and did it well. Protected my family when we needed it most!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought my 2011 E earlier this year, had hit a dear... didn't look nearly as bad as yours (though the common is the Emblem in the grille was also missing!) No airbags deployed, but rad/condenser were shot, hood and bumper cover/bumper support were damaged. I bought it from a wrecker, who got it at an insurance write off auction.... (clean titled, not salvage)
Granted it was not 2 model years old, but damage was listed at $11,000....
Expect the worst, but hope for the best on what your insurance will do. Air bags being deployed, atleast here in Canada, is a 90% chance its a write off. (and branded salvage) Good luck with the situation!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought my 2011 E earlier this year, had hit a dear... didn't look nearly as bad as yours (though the common is the Emblem in the grille was also missing!) No airbags deployed, but rad/condenser were shot, hood and bumper cover/bumper support were damaged. I bought it from a wrecker, who got it at an insurance write off auction.... (clean titled, not salvage)
Granted it was not 2 model years old, but damage was listed at $11,000....
Expect the worst, but hope for the best on what your insurance will do. Air bags being deployed, atleast here in Canada, is a 90% chance its a write off. (and branded salvage) Good luck with the situation!
Oof, sorry to hear that! I'm curious to see what the insurance company says ... it's being towed to my dealership (whom I trust implicitly) today; they'll write up an estimate, then State Farm will send out an adjuster and we'll make a determination ... I'm pretty much at the point where I want them to total it. Don't think I'd ever trust it again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm going to guess $15k or more in damage according to the insurance company. You've got a front bumper cover and the bits behind it, an expensive headlight, hood, radiator and likely radiator core support and front fender. The door may be a repair or re-skin but might get replaced too depending on how damaged it is. The hood is pushed back into the driver's side A pillar so that will need some attention too. That hood shifted enough I wouldn't be surprised if it did some damage to the passengers side fender too. If the airbag went off there's a chance the seatbelt pre-tensioner fired as well (one time use gas charge there). Then you've got the expensive airbag to replace. Depending on how many fired (I'm assuming just the steering wheel?) that could easily blow my $15k guesstimate. Add in a bunch of little incidental parts they'll find as they're taking it apart to start putting back together as well as lots of labor for paint. It probably won't be a writeoff since it's so new and a higher end vehicle but I'd make sure a highly reputable shop is doing the work because it's a big job.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Glad to hear the wife is OK. Lots of deer here in NJ, one was standing in the middle of my street in front of my house when I got home last night, they are surely difficult to see. I hit one with my 2008 about 9 years ago, not as much damage as yours, about 5k worth. Truck was fine when it was fixed. Best wishes in getting your back on the road.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to guess $15k or more in damage according to the insurance company. You've got a front bumper cover and the bits behind it, an expensive headlight, hood, radiator and likely radiator core support and front fender. The door may be a repair or re-skin but might get replaced too depending on how damaged it is. The hood is pushed back into the driver's side A pillar so that will need some attention too. That hood shifted enough I wouldn't be surprised if it did some damage to the passengers side fender too. If the airbag went off there's a chance the seatbelt pre-tensioner fired as well (one time use gas charge there). Then you've got the expensive airbag to replace. Depending on how many fired (I'm assuming just the steering wheel?) that could easily blow my $15k guesstimate. Add in a bunch of little incidental parts they'll find as they're taking it apart to start putting back together as well as lots of labor for paint. It probably won't be a writeoff since it's so new and a higher end vehicle but I'd make sure a highly reputable shop is doing the work because it's a big job.
I'm going to guess at least $20k in damage. The airbag popped and yes - the seatbelt pre-tensioner fired as well. Given the structure damage behind the grill and radiator supports, the A pillar/fender issues, and the fact that the door doesn't open... I'm thinking we have a major problem. I also got an ominous Onstar message overnight that there's a problem with the transmission and needs immediate service. Something (I can't tell what) is banged up to the right of the radiator as well... At this point, we just don't know how deep the rabbit hole goes.

So let's see what we've got but this is going to be an uphill battle for sure, IF it's economically repairable.

I did have it towed to my dealership, whom I trust implicitly. They've got a top-shelf body shop, so if anyone can fix it, it'll be them. And I know it'll be done right, with quality parts. As I understand it, State Farm doesn't allow generic parts - only OEM, or for some minor pieces, certified aftermarket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
How many miles on it?
Just turned 23,000. She's still a young'un.

It's a 2018 Premium with pretty much every option - white tricoat, towing package, navigation, sunroof, surround vision, 20" polished rims .... Just about everything you could order without being an Avenir. (At the time, the Avenir was only available with the chestnut interior which my wife hated... If we have to do this again, it'll be an Avenir with the ebony interior.)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, the current estimate is coming in at a hair over $10k. All parts will be GM parts in the repair; which is the next holdup. Apparently some of the parts are hard to get a hold of, due to the UAW strike. Now that they’ve ratified the contract, we’re all hoping they get back to work quickly, but there’s a significant backlog.

Our (excellent) Buick dealer’s body shop will be doing the repair work, so I’m not concerned about quality. I know they’ll do right by me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
sorry you are having to deal with this. But it sounds like you have a plan now. Just make sure the dealer looks / test for hidden damage

·
Registered
437 Posts
$10k is a lot but not terrible. Figure another grand or so when they find the inevitable damage they couldn't see until they tore it down. It's rare any major collision repair doesn't have some addendum time/parts added in because you just can't see everything for the initial estimate. Depending on the relationship the shop has with the adjuster a lot of times adjusters will just sign off without even going back out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$10k is a lot but not terrible. Figure another grand or so when they find the inevitable damage they couldn't see until they tore it down. It's rare any major collision repair doesn't have some addendum time/parts added in because you just can't see everything for the initial estimate. Depending on the relationship the shop has with the adjuster a lot of times adjusters will just sign off without even going back out.
It's not terrible; I was expecting more, to be honest. Thankfully it appears, anyway, that we don't have major mechanical or structural issues (Aside from the upper radiator support.) But again, we won't know for sure until they tear it down.

That said - this is a small, family-run dealership with its own body shop, and they've been around a very very long time. The body shop manager told me he knows the adjuster quite well & works with him all the time, so I don't expect any issues with getting work approved. I mean, the vehicle was towed into the body shop at about 4pm on Wednesday, the adjuster was there 8:30am Thursday, the body shop manager added a few things to the estimate (radiator & condenser) and by Thursday night, a check had already been issued. Don't think I can ask for much more partnership than that.

Biggest issue now is parts availability. I talked about that on Thursday with the body shop manager and he said the UAW strike has really put a hurting on parts supply. He's got a few vehicles all backed up waiting on parts.... now that the strike is over, he's thinking parts should be flowing through pretty quickly. Some stuff he's gotten no problem, others have been a wait. Hopefully the worst is over.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update - after beginning teardown, our dealership was suddenly closed by GM. They are no longer authorized to perform any work whatosever - so I had to send a tow truck today to "rescue" my half-an-Enclave out before the dealership is padlocked for good.

Now it gets to go to another body shop, and we'll figure out what steps are next. But we're basically starting over at this point.

What a mess.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So we're now a month in and absolutely no further along in getting my Enclave back on the road. Still waiting on parts from GM - due to the strike, it's backlogged; only answer from GM is "they get here when they get here" ... Really frustrating.

My first body shop (our formerly-trusted dealer) was sold in July. The new owners pulled some really shady stuff and basically stiffed GM on a bunch of vehicles "sold out of trust" and, well, just plain missing. I've read the court filings - it's ugly. Anyway, I was able to rescue my half-an-Enclave and get it to another body shop before it got ensnared in the bankruptcy proceedings. So now, we wait. Once I get it back, I'll have to go dealership-shopping too. Never thought that'd be a problem; they were a family run business for 40 years. New owners destroyed it in 4 months.

It really stinks - I only have 2 more weeks of rental coverage ($1,000 worth) before I'm on my own. And even once the parts are in (who knows when that'll be?) - we're looking at 3 weeks' worth of repair work.

Current estimate is north of $16,000 - and that assumes absolutely nothing else is wrong with the vehicle.

Really kinda wish it had just been totaled so I could get on with replacing it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sux. What dealership was that and what location?
That was Norman Gale Buick-GMC in Cedar Knolls NJ. Was a small, family owned dealership until this past July, when the Gale family sold it to the owners of a few other dealerships (Lexus of Englewood, VW of Union).

4 months after being sold, they're out of business.

Heartbreaking - the Gale family are wonderful folks, and the employees of this dealership were tight as family. The Body Shop manager had been there 38 years; the service manager 20+. Most everyone had been there for 10-15-20 years++. They understood customer service and support. As I understand it, the Gale family tried to get the dealership back, but because of what's transpired, GM denied their request. With tens of millions of dollars at stake, I understand GM's position - frustrating though it may be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts