EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking at my vehicle maintenance history on my GM-Link page I noticed that my oil change percentage and milage have not changed since I got the car. Still at 93% and 362 miles. I have over 1000 miles now. Does this only update periodically? The DIC still says 93% also.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do you get monthly emails from OnStar - you could check if their readouts are different?

Mine is about 6,500miles and hovering around 20%. I expected my dealer to call and remind me about the first oil change but they never have... :-[ Must book it in, soon.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I am over 5000 miles and plan to have the first oil change before 6000 just to be safe. Everyone has a different opinion on this subject, but just don't let it go too far. You're safe for awhile... [/color] :angel:

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
just a little input, my neighbor is a gm mechanic for 26 years and he informed me that you shouldn't rely on the oil% gauge to change oil. Like others said every enclave is different and if it told you 30% left with 10,000 miles on it would you go to 0%? I hope not, he told me they still recommend 3000 mile oil change intervals no matter what the dic indicates, oil is cheap a new engine is not. The problems won't show until your warranty is gone!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
JustDriftin , if i hear you correctly, then somethings wrong. Regardless of the Onstar courtesy services, the DIC MUST change as you put on mileage. Is odometer changing (adding) miles???

problem, me thinks..........

·
Registered
164 Posts
If my speedometer reads 70 mph am I going 70?

If my gas guage shows 1/4 tank left should I fill up?

If my tire pressure monitors show 36 lbs on all four tires is a tire low?

If my turn by turn tells me how to arrive at my destination will I?

So how come when my dic says I still have 50% oil life left I don't trust it?

Just wondering!!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
what exactly is your point? Ill ask you a few logical questions, does oil break down? Can you see it breaking down? without getting it tested can you tell if its useful life is used up?

womps said:
If my speedometer reads 70 mph am I going 70?

If my gas guage shows 1/4 tank left should I fill up?

If my tire pressure monitors show 36 lbs on all four tires is a tire low?

If my turn by turn tells me how to arrive at my destination will I?

So how come when my dic says I still have 50% oil life left I don't trust it?

Just wondering!!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
just drifitn, just so you are aware your records online are only updated monthly. My latest update was today, the one prior to that was january 22,2008. When you read it online it tells you when they got the report from your vehicle....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes oil does break down. Is the computer telling us when it has. If we don't trust the computer then when should I change it as I can't see it . May be 3000 miles is still too many miles. I am seriously wondering,that' all.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
ya sorry if I came off to strong, I just see all this money we put into a vehicle but yet we will skimp on a 3000 mile oil change. Something of interest I also own a 2006 pontiac G6 under warranty and my mpg always goes down to 23.6 no matter what type of trip I take it on. I told the dealer this and it is the same dealer as my enclave and he told me straight out don't rely on it, they are not always accurate. So, I guess I am erring on the side of caution based on that knowledge, now you got me wondering ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for the reply PaPoPo. You also have me wondering. I am not as concerned since I have a 2 year lease and don't plan to buy it out but I still like to take care of my(or G.M.s) vehicle. My Enclave has 5500 miles now and shows 50% oil life left. I have an 06 Chev. SSR with the 6.0 liter vette engine and Mobile 1 synthetic oil and at about 4000 miles the d.i.c. reads 20% oil life left. I know I drive it a little harder than the Clave but still 90% of the miles on both were freeway @ 75 m.p.h. So it does make me wonder if the d.i.c can be trusted.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info about the monthly upgrade. I musta missed it when I read. Or I just read it and forgot. Alzheimer's disease ain't all that bad, I get to meet new people everyday.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
womps said:
Thanks for the reply PaPoPo. You also have me wondering. I am not as concerned since I have a 2 year lease and don't plan to buy it out but I still like to take care of my(or G.M.s) vehicle. My Enclave has 5500 miles now and shows 50% oil life left. I have an 06 Chev. SSR with the 6.0 liter vette engine and Mobile 1 synthetic oil and at about 4000 miles the d.i.c. reads 20% oil life left. I know I drive it a little harder than the Clave but still 90% of the miles on both were freeway @ 75 m.p.h. So it does make me wonder if the d.i.c can be trusted.
I understand your doubts. I will just say that the DIC info is a good indicator/guide, generally speaking. remember the owners manual demands 1 year max, between oil changes. No matter what DIC says. Use the DIC like you do the Weatherman! Listen to the forecast, but bring that umbrella if you see dark skies when you leave the house ;)

I always know my mileage since last oil change, which then gives me 2 reference points. Furthermore, it's possible to reset the DIC and not realize it, while adjusting other parameters of memory seats, lighting, or Unlock functions, etc. Some mechanics/owners do it inadvertently I'll bet!

Anyway, common sense must always prevail. I've learned that the date on milk cartons doesn't always guarantee freshness till the end :thumb:

As for womps, I think the DIC is close on both cars. Very different heat/power variables on those 2 motors. If you follow the Enclaves manual, even with some 50% remaining on DIC, with 5,500 miles, change that oil at around 20% readout or 1 year. Bet you don't get to 10K miles before DIC says "change oil soon" anyway. You'll be ok.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Used oil analysis will tell you that 3,000 mile oil changes belong in the past. More likely, GM's computer doesn't measure the oil at all, just the engine temp/RPM/miles that sort of thing. If it did, the intervals would be more like 12,000 miles, especially with synthetic oil.

My father-in-law's Honda Civic has 10,000 mile oil changes with regular 5W20 oil. He would change it every 2000-3000 miles. Dealerships are well known to tell customers about 3000 mile oil changes as are other places that profit from this practice like AutoZone. Maybe they think at least the oil will get changed, since some people don't change it at all!

Oil related engine failures are rare, unless the oil has drained out by mistake!

TM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts