EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So, I changed oil and filter last week, about 150 miles ago.
Saturday morning- I return from a drive- go inside. Come back out-- 3 drops of oil up front- oh oh.....
Investigate.....
Oil appears to be coming from filter-- as the top of the motor mount is wet with oil.
I clean up the filter and mount--- go for a test drive- return--- touch the bottom of the filter- yup-- oil already on it.

I leave the car and head to WalMart to buy a new oil filter.

I think-- defective seal...
This should take 5 min.... remove and replace filter.

I try to manually unscrew it-- nope oily.
I grab my oil filter wrench.... try to remove it.... nope. ok, try again. nope. Then I wrapped tape around it- so the wrench would hopefully get a better grip.... nope.
Well, As you can see- I tried and tried. eventually some of the teeth on the wrench wore down. (I will need to buy a new one- as I also bent part of it).
Eventually it crushed part of the case. but it didnt move. The F word appears.
Then I bring out a pipe wrench. It manages to make the filter move a fraction of an inch... When I started I could see half the barcode. After the pipe wrench- I could now see the entire barcode.

But after that- the wrench would no longer fit/grab.

The F word again.

Last resort-- that Ive heard other folks use----- Stab it.
Grabbed a screwdriver- and a breaker bar over the head of the screwdriver and used a mallet to hit the pipe.
I made sure the screwdriver went thru both ends--- I was able to move the filter a little more.
I repeated this puncturing the filter I believe 3 time. Maybe 4.
Eventually was able to turn it enough that it loosened it- and then was able to manually turn it (still a little hard)... and finally came off.

I looked at the filters gasket--- looked ok... didnt see anything that would indicate the mating surface was bad.
Maybe the surface between the gasket and the filter itself?
Maybe the pinched end of the filter?
I then inspected the mating surface on the engines end--- smooth.

Why didnt it come off?
I remember putting a little oil on the gasket... (maybe not enough?).
I remember putting it on- and turning it 3/4 turn after it mated.
Then again-- I also remember one of my kids complaining about some toy his brother would not share...
Its possible I turned it a little too much while listening to the brothers fight......

In the end- the replacement filter- I made sure I put adequate amount of oil on the gasket.
I made sure I turned the oil filter a little less than 3/4.

Sunday morning- I added about 0.3 qts to bring the oil level back up to the full mark. (seems most of the oil lost was in the filter)
we did the mothers day things- and checked several times--- no more oil leak.

This is very similar to the wrench I have...
which now has worn teeth.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I'll never use those 63E's....I still have 8 of the old ones. But also have a dozen WIX waiting. E's may be good enough, but again if GM cost cuts, that's wonderful as a shareholder, but not so much as a car owner.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I have seen mangled oil filters, But that is ridiculous! You are lucky you didn't rip and shred that canister and REALLY have an issue getting the mated surface to let loose. Glad you made it thru that ordeal, rbarrios!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Based on the "crinkle" marks on the filter, it looks like you were trying to tighten it at one point...... :-\

Are you sure when you had the wrench on it you weren't going the wrong way?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
ckta said:
Based on the "crinkle" marks on the filter, it looks like you were trying to tighten it at one point...... :-\

Are you sure when you had the wrench on it you weren't going the wrong way?
Obviously, you don't know rbarrios! :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When It would not move- I tried moving it in the opposite direction to hopefully break the 'seal'....
didnt move.

But checked again yesterday... no more leak.

In all my years of oil changes--- thats the 1st time I have a leaker... and 1st time I stab and kill it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
rbarrios said:
In all my years of oil changes--- thats the 1st time I have a leaker... and 1st time I stab and kill it.
Hmmmm, that's a very interesting comment because I have also had a similar experience. I'm a 60 year old guy who has changed every filter on his car since being in my teens and also had my first experience with a leaker. Coincidence that it was the same model filter on my Acadia as yours? Fortunately mine didn't stick, but I still don't understand why it leaked, it was plenty tight.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was indeed a weird one...

you think it has anything to do with the vehicles being Gold Mist? ;)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
rockyp said:
:hilarious2:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
rbarrios, have you considered posting this on BITOG? I'm sure there would be some interesting and educated comments made over there. Let us know if you do post it there. Find it interesting in a not so good kind of way that there was a similar occurrence with the leak using the same brand filter and part number on an Acadia.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
rbarrios said:
It was indeed a weird one...

you think it has anything to do with the vehicles being Gold Mist? ;)
Hmmm...I had a leaker on my Gold Mist Enclave too. Maybe it's a conspiracy. :scared:

·
Registered
848 Posts
That stinks. I had one I couldn't get loose on our Traverse a couple months ago that the dealer had put on. I didn't dare try stabbing it. Took it back to the dealer than we bought it from and they were able to loosen it for me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ha! I saw the title and thought, "Oh what kind of mess did a newb make messing around with their car" and then I saw who the OP is.

Glad it all got sorted out.

rockyp said:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
This thread is a bit troubling in that you have more than one experienced shade trees who had oil leaks where if I understand it, they used the same model oil filter.

It's not that complicated, although the root cause was never identified.

a) how would a brand new filter leak
b) how would a brand new filter not come off normally

I don't think anyone here has the resources to purchase 25 different kinds of oil filters and cut them open and analyze them. But luckily it has already been done. The message I get is don't use the E filters. I held 12 of them in my hands, and they looked as cheaply made as the web seems to believe they are.

I'll give you one example. Remember the old days when it was a big deal to have a Trinitron tv? That's because the screen was relatively flat. Without getting too much into physics, flat is more difficult in the crt world, to shoot electrons blah blah blah blah

In the oil filter world, flat is easy, round is difficult. The baseplate of the E filter is flat--as if the piece is simply snapped in place. That has to save big on production costs. Look at the other traditional filters like WIX, they are not like that.

I'd like to think we DIY not because we can't afford to pay $40 to have our oil changed, we do it to know it's done right. If we start installing inferior parts on our own cars, imho we may as well just pay $40. my .02

Personally, I could not imagine putting an end cap wrench on an Enclave filter, and having it not be able to come off. My instinct would say it's cross-threaded...to date I have only used PF63 filters, and I believe I have 8 left. Then, we move on to WIX. Never E's.

edit: dang spell check again

·
Registered
162 Posts
So I was curious if this was just an issue with the PF48E or the PF63E as well. I did a search and see that the E (eCore) models are a "greener" filter, which are easier to recycle. The design eliminates adhesives and related volatile emissions. They also have increased filtration media for greater dirt holding capacity. The consensus at BobIsTheOilGuy site is that they are junk. So stay away from the E models period.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I simply replaced it with another PF-48E.

The used oil analysis Ive done with oil using the PF-48 and PF-48E--- they both did a good job of filtration.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I haven't been using the pf-48's. I am using a Fram XG10060, and haven't had any seizure issue causing troubles like that what rbarrios faced.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
imho the folks on bitog are the geeks of oil related stuff (they are excellent too as far as being informative on rebates). For them to say avoid E filters, they are junk, and having held 12 of them in my hands (I have big hands don't go there), they seem like they are junk, when compared to the old PF63's. I had even identified 4 part#'s, which are old boxed, old bulk, E's boxed, E's bulk (durapak?). Shady online eTailers will continue to use the original PN's and ship you junk a** E's. I'm the kid who when told not to put my hand on a burning stove, I don't. I'm sure there are kids who will and love to defy authority. :beer: :beer:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts