EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Enclave only has 17,000 Kms on it. This past weekend while I was checking the state of the air filter, I noticed a small puddle of oil sitting in the Throttle Body. I cleaned it up, and noticed that some of it was in the air intake tube as well. This engine seems too new for seals to compromised; and, the oil wasn't overfilled. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yes, there are several posts with pictures included which show what you are seeing. Search the sister forums (Traverse, Outlook, Acadia) and here to find those posts. It appears to be a not unheard of occurrence with no know cause. You have to be a registered member on each forum to view pictures.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll take a look. That's really unfortunate that these engines to experience this with low Kilometers. Makes you wonder how long they will actually last.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
WPNSO said:
Thanks, I'll take a look. That's really unfortunate that these engines to experience this with low Kilometers. Makes you wonder how long they will actually last.[/color]
Well, it appears that if you own an Enclave, as long as it's NOT a 2009, the engine should be fine (provided you check the oil regularly and maintain the proper level).

If you DO own a 2009 Enclave, the timing chain(s) replacement would be warrantied until 160,934.4 kilometers, and you would be notified by GM that it needs to be changed out as part of their Customer Satisfaction Program. So, you're STILL good! :)

I've considered putting an oil catch can (or two) in line to capture the oil BEFORE it gets into the throttle body. That would greatly reduced the soot that forms on the back of the car.

. . Falcon

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I made a HOW TO clean your throttle body on the acadia and traverse forum.
and on the enclave forum I attached it to another thread but cant find it...

but here are a few pics

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Falcon, I notice very little soot on my 3.5 year old Enclave. Does the non-DI produce less throttle body oil collection due to oil blow by?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Falcon, I notice very little soot on my 3.5 year old Enclave. Does the non-DI produce less throttle body oil collection due to oil blow by?
Based on my experience I would have to say no. I cleaned the oil out of my throttle body and intake tube for the first time late last summer (at about 27k miles or so). There was a fair amount of oil in the "well" and the throttle body was pretty dirty. I'll be doing it once a year from now on.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I recall some posts discussing the soot on the tail pumped from a thread about two years ago. At the time, most 2009 owners were complaining about surprising amounts of soot on the tailpipe while most 2008 Enclave owners were not. The thought was that the DI engine was responsible for the issue. :shrug:

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Ive read that the Direct Injection engines- have similarities to light duty diesel engines--- thus the soot.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I brought my 2010 Enclave to the dealership today and informed them of the puddle of oil I found in the Throttle Body and Air Intake Tube. The service manager told me that this is a known issue with this engine. To rectify the issue, he re-programmed the ECM with updated Oil Life Calibration, and claims that it shouldn't happen again. Now I'm not sure if this will work or not, but I noticed that I was getting much better gas mileage readings on my comute home from the dealership. I'll check the Throttle Body in two weeks and see if there is anymore blow through. I'll let you know what I find out in a fortnight.

·
Registered
363 Posts
WPNSO said:
The service manager told me that this is a known issue with this engine. To rectify the issue, he re-programmed the ECM with updated Oil Life Calibration, and claims that it shouldn't happen again.
Ok, the only way I buy this explanation is if someone tells me how the reprogramming can change valve overlap, which would influence how much blow-by is introduced into the PCV system. It's this level of blow-by that is getting collected by the PCV system, and dumping into the "galley" of the intake horn.

Interesting design note - you think GM put that galley there for grins? No, that galley is there to COLLECT OIL. I would be absolutely shocked if the OP's oil pooling was fixed by an ECM reprogramming.

But then again, I reserve the right to be disproven...

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
this is interesting also---since the 2010' arent on the OLM reprogram TSB...
unless its been updated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with your assessment Dreamliner. I've been driving GM vehicles now for 20 years and I've never met a service "technician" that I trusted. The guy I dealt with yesterday was about as sharp as a bowling ball and couldn't answer any of my questions about the ECM and blow through. But we'll see what happens. In a couple of weeks I'll take apart again and see if there is any oil in the Throttle Body - hopefully the technician is right and I'm the idiot. :D

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
That's a good point, rbarrios. Perhaps some early 2010s have the older OLM algorithm and timing chain?

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I doubt it-- cause SOME of the 09's arent on the TSB-- once they check their VINs.

I believe it was Copperbeech with his Trave. he has an 09. 09's are on the TSB list. But when they ran his vin-- they said he was good...
which leads one to believe that at some point-- in the 09 production- they changed chains or modified something....

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
rbarrios said:
I doubt it-- cause SOME of the 09's arent on the TSB-- once they check their VINs.

I believe it was Copperbeech with his Trave. he has an 09. 09's are on the TSB list. But when they ran his vin-- they said he was good...
which leads one to believe that at some point-- in the 09 production- they changed chains or modified something....
It is starting to look more and more like a scenario in which there were a bunch of bad timing chains. That would be a much better situation overall than faulty engine design, although those with the bad chains wouldn't be too happy about it. Once the situation finally becomes clear, proper perspective and actions can be applied to this frustratingly foggy predicament.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
WPNSO said:
I agree with your assessment Dreamliner. I've been driving GM vehicles now for 20 years and I've never met a service "technician" that I trusted. The guy I dealt with yesterday was about as sharp as a bowling ball and couldn't answer any of my questions about the ECM and blow through. But we'll see what happens. In a couple of weeks I'll take apart again and see if there is any oil in the Throttle Body - hopefully the technician is right and I'm the idiot. :D
WPNSO,

Please keep us updated regarding the fix. I am interested to see if the issue has been resolved. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Absolutely Tricia,
Unless I'm deployed somewhere at short notice, I plan on checking the Throttle Body and posting an update on Sunday 15 May. That will be 13 days since the fix, driving my typical half highway/high city commute, and in addition, one or two long highway rides. In order to provide you with the full context, I run synthetic oil (Amsoil 5w30) and fill up with Regular Unleaded gas (87 octane).

Thanks,
WPNSO

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
So I had some time today and removed the engine cover, the air cleaner box, and the duct that runs between the air cleaner box and the throttle body. The Traverse is 1 year old, and has 5100 miles on it. There was some oil in the galley area and a little on the throttle body plate area.

There is what looks like a PCV valve at the top of the engine with a rubber hose and another PCV type valve on top of the duct. That second PCV ports through a plastic nipple with the other end emptying into the galley area of the duct where we are finding oil. Just seems like a place they decided to collect the oil and let the exhaust gases run back through the throttle body.

I remember years ago there was a similar type system on GM cars, but more sophisticated than this set up! The PCV had a rubber hose running into the side of the metal air cleaner housing. If you took the top of the air cleaner housing off, on the inside at the other end of that hose was a small clip on filter which captured oil and moisture before the gases went back through the air cleaner and into the carburetor. At least they had a filter and you could replace it when it was dirty, and the exhaust gases were going through the air filter before going into the carburetor.

Perhaps they need to do a filter on this newer version to capture the excess oil which is being blown into the air intake duct, and set it up somehow so the gases are going through the air cleaner before going into the throttle body.

Oh, and I was VERY DISAPPOINTED when I turned the top of the air filter box over and saw the air filter assembly attached to it, with the MADE IN KOREA sticker on the assembly. Thanks GM for shipping more American jobs overseas!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts