EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone said to me that I should change the oil earlier than the monitor says because engines are failing. Does anyone know about this? Should I follow the oil change monitor? Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
952 Posts
What year? Earlier models 08-10 had longer OLM intervals. I believe they did reprogram some of these. If you use full Synthetic you should be OK with the OLM. If you want your baby to last, go no more than 6K, 5K would be better. I use my B trip odometer to track mileage between changes, A for gas usages and B for oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone said to me that I should change the oil earlier than the monitor says because engines are failing. Does anyone know about this? Should I follow the oil change monitor? Thanks
What year? Earlier models 08-10 had longer OLM intervals. I believe they did reprogram some of these. If you use full Synthetic you should be OK with the OLM. If you want your baby to last, go no more than 6K, 5K would be better. I use my B trip odometer to track mileage between changes, A for gas usages and B for oil.
Thanks electbc. Its only been just over 4000 and the monitor says 20% but its way overdue time wise. I need to pay more attention. I like the idea of the A and B odometer. Thanks again.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My OLM has me changing about every 4500 miles on my 2019. With full synthetic I expected much longer than that. It does a lot of short trips, but they say full synthetic should be good for 7500 to 10K miles of normal driving.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Dporter22, get several used oil analysis if you want to do extended oil change intervals.
The result will tell if your oil brand, engine, drive style, and ambient conditions will allow for extended intervals.
I did that on my vehicles.
2010 only goes to 50%/5000 miles and 2013 equinox w the 3.6 v6, goes 0%/ 6000 to 7000 miles

·
Registered
1 Posts
OLM will always error on the safe side... So short trips and low mileage will require earlier oil changes. So following it is okay. BUT>>> running crappy cheap oil that breaks down and leaves sludge will destroy these engines no matter when you change the oil. I would recommend running the recommended level of oil api rating as WAY more important than changing early.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Weardley. I've never used less than a blend but we are retired so lots of short trips and 40,000 miles in 5.5 years. Just had it changed but plan on putting 2-3 thousand miles on a upcoming trip so will keep your advice in mind. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I changed my 2010 oil with Mobil 1 full synthetic every 5,000 miles and I sold it with 198,000 miles on it last year with no engine issues. I always used Trip B on my cars for the oil change interval and don't worry about the oil monitor. IMO religiously changing your oil and filter is the best preventive maintenance you can do. With that said, I did buy mine new so those who are buying higher mileage cars need to be wary of the maintenance history.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts