EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I currently drive a 2010 Enclave. Great vehicle, very strong and durable. I am coming up on an oil change soon and I would like to get opinions on which synthetic oil brand I should use. I have heard Mobil 1 is not the best, but I would like some input nonetheless.

Thank you all,

Cristian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Most all of Mobil 1 various concoctions is mineral oil rather than real Synthetic (although there is one Mobil 1 that is a true synthetic) but the rest aren't. If the oil is not made from a base 4 or base 5 then it is highly refined base 3 mineral oil and they are then able to legally say it is Full Synthetic (but it isn't, it is still highly refined mineral oil). That being said.....I would buy any oil that says it is Full Synthetic or 100% Synthetic....(100% is the better of the 2) and get the one that is on sale. Pick your oil filter carefully, esp if you change your oil accordingly to an oil change reminder. I buy the Mobil 1 filter, don't buy the cheapest oil filter...although I have seen many great reports on WalMart's base filter. Do some research yourself rather than assume all out here know what they speak about.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
2007-2008 3.6s had some timing chain issues.
then some 2009/2010... when they went to Direct injection engines.... also began to experience timing chain issues.
There were a bunch of us who had used oil analysis done to determine the proper oil life.
What was noticed - is that engines that used Pennzoil Platinum Full Syn, showed LOWER iron levels. Mobil 1- tended to show higher wear.
I remember there was a couple of owners who used BOTH oils- and had analysis done and PP showed lower numbers.
Im not saying Mobil 1 is bad. Im just saying that we noticed that PP shed less metal when owners began to experience the chain issues.
theres threads on used oil analysis that you can checkout. (also the intervals the oil was used for)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have only run this oil in my 2013 Enclave. Currently at 165K miles. Also the same for my 2010 Silverado (6.2L), sometimes the 0W-30 too. It currently have 63500 miles. and at times in my kids Lesabres. Both having the 3800 series 2 engine. It appears that Mobil raised the rating to 20K. It was always 15K until now. Never an issue with anything. Pennzoil is a great oil too. Maybe the issue was with the tiers that Mobil 1 offers. I don't know.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
802 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in all our vehicles since 1996, Sometimes Pennzoil or Castrol Synthetic if it's on sale. I never did a oil analysis so I couldn't tell you if it is the best wear protection but I did get 212,000 miles in my 2008 Outlook, never any engine troubles, it's still on the road.
The 08s did have timing chain issues but mine didn't, I attribute that to using Synthetic.
There is a lot of discussion on the Traverse forum regarding Oil Filters, The Mobil 1 filters don't get good grades by Alisobob. The recommended filter is a Baldwin filter made by Parker Hydraulics, I just ordered a set of them for all our vehicles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use Castrol Edge full synthetic. It’s a great oil for the price and is dexos approved. I use it in both my 14 enclave and my 08 Silverado. I also use Fram Ultra synthetic filters. It makes a big difference in my truck. Stock ACDelco filter caused lower oil pressure than I deemed acceptable.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
802 Posts
The Fram Ultra Synthetic may be better than the run of the mill Frams. Looking at the tear- aparts on Youtube, I will never buy another Fram Oil Filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts