EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching vehicles for over 1.5 years for a replacement for my purchased-new 1992 Isuzu Trooper with over 200K miles and NO major problems. Safety has been primary along with reliability, so at first considered Volvo XC-90 and others; Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, you name it. We have owned Hondas, Toyotas, etc. with no American car purchases since the early 70s. After researching the Enclave, we became really excited. With the exception of rear visibility concerns, here's our main (could be deal-breaking) problem:

How could a designer(s) put two grand canyon-like trenches in the floor to attract crumbs, handbag and camera straps, buttons, loose change, etc., etc.?!!!!!

One Enclave owner in our Iowa town loves the car, but carefully puts old towels on the floor to prevent material from collecting in the trenches there. I have contemplated having a special car carpet made to fit fully on the floor, should we order an Enclave.

Then, I started thinking: Why should I have to have a custom carpet made for a loaded $40,000+ luxury car? GM PLEASE ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM; IT IS CAUSING US TO HOLD BACK ORDERING THE CAR! CAN SOMEONE FROM GM OR THE DESIGN TEAM PLEASE ADDRESS A SOLUTION! Our Honda van has removable/movable seats with attachment points that still allow the seat to slide forward/back -- is that possible. If not, at least provide some type of brush or cover for the "trenches."

Please respond.

Blurrybill

·
Registered
38 Posts
Having owned an Enclave for about a month now I agree with you. I am always on my guad to make sure the kids dont drop anything that might get stuck in those trenches or is difficult to get out. I am trying to find something that would help cover those tracks.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I brought this up in another thread "starting a nit picky list"
I totally agree with your concerns, and DO think it should be re-designed. However, it did not deter me from purchasing my Enclave. There is too much right with the Enclave to be deterred by this one thing.
Good luck with your search :thumb:

·
Registered
208 Posts
If not, at least provide some type of brush or cover
Brush - brilliant solution!!!! Brushes could line the tracks and keep crud from falling in yet still allow the seat to slide back and forth.

·
Registered
75 Posts
They should have covered them with a flexible rubber with a slit down the middle. Does not need to seal real tight, but enough to stop the food from falling in.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
:ditto: As a parent of 4 children 10 and under, that is a BIG drawback of the vehicle for me as well. I know that I saw pictures of early "concept" models with a flexible rubber "cover" down the length of the tracks with a slit down the middle. Why, for the love of Pete, was this changed????!!!!! GM, please answer. If GM doesn't address this, then one of these automotive accessory stores needs to offer something all lambda owners can use.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
GM, What happened to these items?!?

Note the seat track covers and net pocket on the backs of the front seats.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
The second row tracks in my Enclave have collected a raisin and a barbie shoe. That's all that I know about so far.

A

·
0 Posts
Well obviously they gave it some consideration and decided against it. It obviously LOOKS better, and, in theory, would help keep stuff out of the tracks. What that tells me is there was some negative aspect of that design that outweighed those benefits. They wouldn't simply remove them for no reason.

So the question to ask is, what was that negative aspect and is there a way for a company to overcome that with an aftermarket part?

·
Registered
148 Posts
admin said:
Well obviously they gave it some consideration and decided against it. It obviously LOOKS better, and, in theory, would help keep stuff out of the tracks. What that tells me is there was some negative aspect of that design that outweighed those benefits. They wouldn't simply remove them for no reason.

So the question to ask is, what was that negative aspect and is there a way for a company to overcome that with an aftermarket part?
Honestly, I think the bean counters told the GM execs that they could save a $20 per car if they left those out. If someone were smart, they would manufacturer something that could snap in place (be it brushes or flexible rubber) and sell them online. I have a feeling that they would sell well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts