EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
So, just as speculated, the OLM is based for petroleum based oil change times, but is WAY too early for full synthetic based oils since they're generally rated for 20K to 25K miles, or one year. As long as you have a top shelf oil filter that will handle that type of mileage, such as the Fram XG ULTRA to match up with the synthetic, you'd be all set for some five figure driving before an oil change was due.

Most of us that use full synthetic oil change it far too often*. The whole idea behind this oil was so you could get super extended usage out of it. But, the 3000 mile oil change with standard oil was burned into people's minds for so long that everyone sort of freaked out when they realized the more accurate mileage was actually around 5500 to 7000 miles in the summertime for a well maintained vehicle, and around 4000 miles in the wintertime (less if you had oil foaming issues from the 'detergent' additives on short trips).

*If I drove a lot of miles within a year, I'd be willing to prove this, and then send the oil to Blackstone Labs for testing and share the results with everyone. Unfortunately, I generally only put on about 4500 to 6000 miles per year.

. . Falcon

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree Falcon. Clearly GM needs to have an option to set the OLM for oil type.

Back in the '70's I had an MG-C that was tough on oil, and the crankcase held 9 quarts, with an oil cooler. I tried a lot of oil types back then and found that Castrol GTX 20-50 was one of the few that would maintain high oil pressure for the full $3,000 miles between oil changes. All other oils would not maintain the full oil pressure after even a week of use. There was no synthetic oil back then. I also used to add STP to maintain that "new oil" viscosity. I sure wish there was synthetic back then.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
FalconEddy said:
So, just as speculated, the OLM is based for petroleum based oil change times, but is WAY too early for full synthetic based oils since they're generally rated for 20K to 25K miles, or one year. As long as you have a top shelf oil filter that will handle that type of mileage, such as the Fram XG ULTRA to match up with the synthetic, you'd be all set for some five figure driving before an oil change was due.

Most of us that use full synthetic oil change it far too often*. The whole idea behind this oil was so you could get super extended usage out of it. But, the 3000 mile oil change with standard oil was burned into people's minds for so long that everyone sort of freaked out when they realized the more accurate mileage was actually around 5500 to 7000 miles in the summertime for a well maintained vehicle, and around 4000 miles in the wintertime (less if you had oil foaming issues from the 'detergent' additives on short trips).

*If I drove a lot of miles within a year, I'd be willing to prove this, and then send the oil to Blackstone Labs for testing and share the results with everyone. Unfortunately, I generally only put on about 4500 to 6000 miles per year.

. . Falcon
I am now using Penn Plat on my 2013 Equinox.
1st time I use synthetic in a vehicle.
But I will be getting UOA done on the oil as time progresses.
I want to see how well the OLM reflects the oils condition.
Im currently at about 4000 miles on the current batch of PP.
But Im eager to start seeing results.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
UOAs are helpful in determining the optimal drain interval for a given engine. Too bad that additional factors, such as climate and driving style aren't flagged on the reports, since that would aid in fine tuning the best intervals.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
FalconEddy said:

. . Falcon
It's almost as if we're "afraid" to let the oil go for as long as it was designed. German mfgs. are not--they are now recommending 2 yrs. or 15k. It used to be 1 yr. or 15k. And they too have to warrant the powertrain. The major difference with Germans and Americans is the Germans are all about natural resources. They use hydraulic fluid that costs $30/liter.

Many German car owners, including myself, second-guess the engineers. I do 7,500 miles or 1 yr. Too "afraid" to go 15k or 2 yrs. Then again I don't want to spend $7,200 for new turbos either. :)

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
once I got good UOA reports on my 2003 Trailblazer-
I was following the OLM on that vehicle. Changing oil at 0%.

why is it significant?

0% was reached at 10,000 to 11,500 miles on the oil.

I run Valvoline 5w-30 dino oil.

Car still runs great/passes CA smog test at 170,000. win win for me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There is a story out now that multiple GM cars are not giving the OLM readings they should be. GM admitted that the OLM was not set up correctly in these cases and the cars need to be repogrammed. It impacts not the Enclave however and does impact the four cylinder 2.4 liter engine used in a lot of GM cars:
2010-2012 Buick LaCrosse, Regal, Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain models. A total of 800,000 built. It is also posted on the buick forum site:

http://www.buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=8fa76962870cc43651dd8bd49f548aac&t=30610

I trust the OLM to a point. I have had my oil in my Saab tested once (you can have this done at TestOil - Angela Richie is very nice and can help set you up). It generally came back positive - they (TestOil) said the oil was marginal when I sent the sample in at 80% of life gone (20% left - time to change the oil in the next 500-600 miles). Of course that car now has 102,000 and the engine/transmission is still in perfect, original condion.

I have not done this same test on the Enclave. I decided to trust GM's system on that car. I am 34% of the way to 100,000 with no problems, and the Enclave requesting for oil changes every 7500-8500 miles. But... a lot of that is highway miles, not much stop and go driving at all (nearly none). Oil is changed twice a year at that rate.

·
Registered
820 Posts
AcuraT said:
There is a story out now that multiple GM cars are not giving the OLM readings they should be. GM admitted that the OLM was not set up correctly in these cases and the cars need to be repogrammed. It impacts not the Enclave however and does impact the four cylinder 2.4 liter engine used in a lot of GM cars:
2010-2012 Buick LaCrosse, Regal, Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain models. A total of 800,000 built. It is also posted on the buick forum site:

http://www.buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=8fa76962870cc43651dd8bd49f548aac&t=30610

I trust the OLM to a point. I have had my oil in my Saab tested once (you can have this done at TestOil - Angela Richie is very nice and can help set you up). It generally came back positive - they (TestOil) said the oil was marginal when I sent the sample in at 80% of life gone (20% left - time to change the oil in the next 500-600 miles). Of course that car now has 102,000 and the engine/transmission is still in perfect, original condion.

I have not done this same test on the Enclave. I decided to trust GM's system on that car. I am 34% of the way to 100,000 with no problems, and the Enclave requesting for oil changes every 7500-8500 miles. But... a lot of that is highway miles, not much stop and go driving at all (nearly none). Oil is changed twice a year at that rate.
The OLM problem with the 2.4L engines is on here as well. Unfortunate that this stuff is happening, but GM is having to shell out money not only to fix these problems, but to fix engines as well. I don't know what process was done initially to setup the programming for these engines, but I am sure that is changing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Mine has definitely been falling quicker than normal the past couple of months too. I think I am on pace for 3800 miles. I'm blaming it on the reduced number of highway miles recently.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Re: Re: OLM 47% =

I just got my first "change oil soon" warning. At about 3000 miles with synthetic oil. Sticker on my windshield says I'm not due for another 4000 miles. I was thinking the OLM was an actual oil monitor and not a pre programmed "timer." Guess not. Dipstick still shows full and looks pretty clean, but I was planning to do every 3000 anyway. Just surprised to see my oil life down to 4%. (I always keep my DIC in ave fuel economy, so didn't see this coming).

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
well---
the DIC thinks youre running regular Dino.

It has no idea youre running Syn.

This algorithm was not programmed with Synthetic oil life 'properties'.

Was this your winter oil run?

Im wondering if once you run spring-- with milder temps-- if the DIC will run longer than 3000--- it should..

·
Registered
505 Posts

Yes, we had almost a month when the temps never went above 23 degrees, so I'm sure that contributed. Oil place said my oil was "a little dark." Wish I had someone I could trust to not try to sell me an unnecessary engine flush (they pretty much always recommend one). With my last car I could actually tell that a flush made a big difference (engine ran smoother). With this one, I kind of doubt it's necessary.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
with warmer temps- im sure youll see a little better oil longevity.

keep an eye on it and let us know

being a 2009--- I remember the UOA from members who lived in cold places- and running Synthetic.

they were always really really high in iron.

Ive always suspected that Iron was the timing chain wearing on these units.

·
Registered
505 Posts
rbarrios said:
being a 2009--- I remember the UOA from members who lived in cold places- and running Synthetic.

they were always really really high in iron.
So, are you saying I would be better off with dino? I'd be happy to save some money at each oil change. Be REALLY happy to not have a timing chain issue...

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's been said that you shouldn't go back from synthetic back to regular Dino... :blob:

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Matno said:
So, are you saying I would be better off with dino? I'd be happy to save some money at each oil change. Be REALLY happy to not have a timing chain issue...
not at all.
was just pointing out that even with Syn- the cold weather folks were seeing high iron count most likely due to timing chain...

But you can run quality syn like PP-- you just have to buy it on sale.
PP has a current $10 mail in rebate (or online)-- 5 qt jugs are about $22 right now-- so in the end you pay about $13 (tax not included)

·
Registered
505 Posts

That's assuming I change it myself. While I don't mind tackling "projects." Routine maintenance falls into the "not worth my time" category. (I'd love to, but with 6 kids, a busy job, and a large yard that needs to be landscaped, it's low on my list...)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts