EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - Thought I would throw out some thoughts of mine after the first week of ownership of my vehicle. Here we go:
1 - This is a large vehicle - taller and wider than the 2004 Buick Rainier that it replaced
2 - It is a good looking vehicle
3 - Road manners in regard to quietness, handling, and ride are super in my opinion.
4 - Heard the ABS sound lots of you mentioned - not that audible on mine.
5 - Regular radio reception is not that great - XM is my choice.
6 - MPG is 16.2 right now, with mostly city driving, and with 302 miles on the odometer.
7 - The trans does shift more than any other vehicle I have owned. I have not owned a 6 speed automatic though. I find it to be an area that can be improved, but not a show stopper. Also, I live in an extremely hilly part of Western PA.
8 - Wish the rear window would open instead of the whole gate - hard to unload groceries in the garage.
9 - For the sheer size and weight of the car, it has acceptable acceleration. This is from someone that owns several old Buicks with 370 horses and 510 ft pounds of torque. You won't win races in the Enclave, but it is fairly responsive for its size.
10 - I am still happy with my decision to buy one.

Comments anyone?

Joebuick

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the same feelings as you. I think the acceleration is fine. It is a really heavy vehicle. I believe the 0-60 time is 8 sec, not bad for a 5000 lb vehicle. Right now we are at our vacation home in Blowing Rock. The elevation is nearly 4000 ft, and I think the Enclave is handling the hills really well. Last trip I had my F150 super crew, I thought that was a really nice truck, but the Enclave is better. I am able to control the Enclave going down hills with the ability to downshift on my own.

I had the car on the open highway for 12 hours last week. I was getting 24mpg per tank. Around town I am getting the same as you are. As far as the garage is concerned you can shut off the lift gate with the button below the radio. Then you can open the gate manually. You still have to make sure the gate does not hit the garage door when you open it.

Good luck with your new Enclave

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2much - Thanks for that link. I knew the DeLoreans were a bit slow, but forgot all about it until I read this. I used to bracket drag race in the 80s, and my dad's 1973 Buick Electra 225 (with me driving) beat one of these in the quarter mile. I don't think it hit 88mph in the 1/4...... If it did, the outcome may have been different.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nice story Mr. Coffee, at least the Enclave is not blowing tires erupting into a shower of sparks on the New Jersey turnpike. I think Ms Dempsey is prettier than the car.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sounds great, Joe :thumb:

Out of curiousity, wherein (or about) western PA are you? Happens to be my routes/original hometown area.

Combine posts like these with the more and more Enclaves I see daily (although most are filthy soccer mom runabouts here...but happy to do it), only makes me still wish we had gotten one. Well, only if it could have been a secondary to the Malibu. One day!

·
Registered
54 Posts
joebuick said:
7 - The trans does shift more than any other vehicle I have owned. I have not owned a 6 speed automatic though. I find it to be an area that can be improved, but not a show stopper. Also, I live in an extremely hilly part of Western PA.
It's funny. I had completely forgotten about this issue. When I first brought my E home (5 months and 7000 miles ago), the annoying shifting in really hilly areas really got on my nerves. But in all honesty, I can't tell you the last time I even noticed it! I read your post and thought "oh yeah. i forgot it does that." I take a fairly hilly route to get to work each day and have somehow tuned the shifting out-- or maybe I just don't notice it as much because I haven't patrolled this board as much as I used to. :happy: OR maybe I'm too busy singing along with Blue's Clues playing on the DVD. ::)

In time, you may not notice it as much as you do now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Caddy - I live in the eastern suburbs of Pittsburgh, in Murrysville, and travel the turnpike, route 22, and Pleasant Valley road daily. Familiar with any of those?

Austin - I have been sensitive to this from reading all the posts here and listening to informed owners. I am sure I will soon not pay attention to it. Maybe the transmission is adapting to the habits of the driver?

Joebuick

·
Registered
509 Posts
joebuick said:
Caddy - I live in the eastern suburbs of Pittsburgh, in Murrysville, and travel the turnpike, route 22, and Pleasant Valley road daily. Familiar with any of those?
Yes, actually. It's been a while, but yes. We're originally from a bit north, in groundhog land of Punxsutawney. All family is still there, but we hit beach land 9 years ago and never looked back ;)

Still always fun to meet people online from near home, whether the old, new, or current.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
austin71 said:
It's funny. I had completely forgotten about this issue. When I first brought my E home (5 months and 7000 miles ago), the annoying shifting in really hilly areas really got on my nerves. But in all honesty, I can't tell you the last time I even noticed it! I read your post and thought "oh yeah. i forgot it does that." I take a fairly hilly route to get to work each day and have somehow tuned the shifting out-- or maybe I just don't notice it as much because I haven't patrolled this board as much as I used to. :happy: OR maybe I'm too busy singing along with Blue's Clues playing on the DVD. ::)

In time, you may not notice it as much as you do now.
Yeah I hear people who live next to airports and train tracks get use to that also, I would prefer to move or have a tranny that doesn't do it.

It would be good to know if it is just that you have gotten use to it and don't notice it or if it is not happening as much with the difference being if it is not happening as much, that would lend some proof to the fact that this tranny is suppose to adapt to your driving style which may (I don't know for sure) include holding 5th gear longer without the cycling. I for one can not believe anyone could get use to the cycling to the point of not noticing anymore.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Joe
I noticed you had the AWD....I wonder if the FWD has any better mileage and wether or not it
makes that big of a difference in the handling.....
We're waiting patiently for the 2009's to come out and haven't settled on the options or packages yet
Jawwco

·
Registered
54 Posts
bsox said:
Yeah I hear people who live next to airports and train tracks get use to that also, I would prefer to move or have a tranny that doesn't do it.

It would be good to know if it is just that you have gotten use to it and don't notice it or if it is not happening as much with the difference being if it is not happening as much, that would lend some proof to the fact that this tranny is suppose to adapt to your driving style which may (I don't know for sure) include holding 5th gear longer without the cycling. I for one can not believe anyone could get use to the cycling to the point of not noticing anymore.
I'll have to pay more attention to see whether it is doing it as much anymore. I have a 2-year old who watches the DVD (without headphones) , so on most days I'm busy listening to his DVDs and singing along with him. So, like i said, I probably don't notice the tranny because I'm preoccupied with other things going on around me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jawwco - I think the AWD is rated a bit lower on MPG, especially on the highway. The FWD should be better. I have 512 miles on the Enclave now, and the DIC is showing 17.2. This is mostly city, with a small bit of freeway driving. It is already better than my 2004 Rainier AWD - that got 16.8 mpg, and was 500 pounds lighter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My first impressions after 2 days:

It is a large vehicle. I had to rearrange the garage to be able to get around the car easily. We previously had a Honda CR-V. It does fit in the garage, however I would like to have the ability to raise the rear glass like we could do on the CR-V for throwing little stuff in the back while the garage doors are closed.

Our liftgate can barely be opened while the vehicle is in the garage with the garage doors open. The tailgate comes within 1" of the top of my garage door opening. Living in rainy Oregon, it would totally suck if we had to move the car outside to load the vehicle. I'm so glad our doors are tall enough!

I love how incredibly quiet it is. Much quieter than my Infiniti G35 sedan on the highway.

I'll reserve judgement on the transmission shifting as I've only been allowed to drive it once so far. :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Joe
Took the new Dodge Journey out for an overnight testdrive and only managed
16.5 mpg...........It's supposedly rated at the top of it's class in the MPG category....
(and its no Enclave I'll tell you)
Jawwco
:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
VQinside Clever member name, DH. Probably will be NSQInside when all the girls are aboard! ;D (Just kidding, badney)
I am actually taking Belle on a roadtrip to the Oregon Coast in a few weeks with my girls!! It will definitely be NSQInside - too much gossip to catch up on!! ;D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Jawwco said:
Thanks Joe
Took the new Dodge Journey out for an overnight testdrive and only managed
16.5 mpg...........It's supposedly rated at the top of it's class in the MPG category....
(and its no Enclave I'll tell you)
Jawwco
:)
Actually, it isn't. It has a decent sized V6 and 6-speed, but isn't overly light and is not known for being much of a fuel sipper. It pertains more to the heavier, higher powered V6 smaller crossover segment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now at 3 weeks and 888 miles. Mileage is averaging 18.2 in the city. Have not had it out on the highway yet. I did have some warm weather and ran the AC. No issues or problems to report. I still love this Buick.

Joebuick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts