EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the Ottawa area and have used the turn by turn directions on OnStar quite often. The last couple of times that I have used it I have noticed that the sound for the directions only are coming out of the driver's side front speaker only. Everything is fine when I connect with OnStar and receive the directions. I wait for the route information to begin and the first direction is loud and clear through all speakers. I usually have the stereo on and can tell you that everything is okay with it also.

When the system prompts me with the 2nd direction though, it can only be heard through the front driver's side speaker only. Once it has been relayed and the stereo cuts in, the sound is once again delivered through all speakers. All remaining directions will continue to be received through the 1 speaker only and I need to crank the volume on max to here it.

As anyone else had this problem? I have tried adjusting the balance of the speakers but this appears only to be an issue with the directions only - the stereo is perfectly balanced when checked.

Any suggestions or should I take Cocoa in for a doctor's visit?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I don't know the answer, but I would check the onstar manual first as I would think it would say in there how the sound is routed so you will know if it is abnormal or the way it is set up. Maybe it is set up that way so as the passengers don't have to hear it? The directions also show up in written form on the DIC correct?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Or just push the magic Onstar button and ask 'em - they'll surely know...

·
Registered
721 Posts
They all do that-the actual "directions" only come from the small pillar speaker by the driver. Guess they figure he/she is the one who really needs to hear it...???

·
Registered
154 Posts
It does make sense to a certain extend cause you don't want everyone to repeat the directions. But I would think that GM would give options to the owners to have it on one speaker by the driver or have it through every speaker.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
colin said:
I am new to the Ottawa area and have used the turn by turn directions on OnStar quite often. The last couple of times that I have used it I have noticed that the sound for the directions only are coming out of the driver's side front speaker only. Everything is fine when I connect with OnStar and receive the directions. I wait for the route information to begin and the first direction is loud and clear through all speakers. I usually have the stereo on and can tell you that everything is okay with it also.

When the system prompts me with the 2nd direction though, it can only be heard through the front driver's side speaker only. Once it has been relayed and the stereo cuts in, the sound is once again delivered through all speakers. All remaining directions will continue to be received through the 1 speaker only and I need to crank the volume on max to here it.

As anyone else had this problem? I have tried adjusting the balance of the speakers but this appears only to be an issue with the directions only - the stereo is perfectly balanced when checked.

Any suggestions or should I take Cocoa in for a doctor's visit?

Maybe. "I need to crank the volume on max" is what you state for T-B-T Onstar Direction announcements. If I did that, the speakers would blow my head off when regular radio/CD resumed playing! Yes it's done that way as others have posted, cause a sleeping child in the 3rd row doesn't need to hear it. But you DO. Not aware of any special volume for this feature, but perhaps NAV screen volume control is same?? It's different from the radio's. Press Destination, or Addresses (I forget which) if you have Nav, and at bottom will be a Volume Control graphic slide bar to set the voice of Nav system directions. (and maybe Onstars directions??) I can try later if you need.

Otherwise, I suspect possible defective speaker in that corner? Has anyone else observed same while in car, such as a front passenger? Do they hear the directions? Seriously, you may have a slight hearing loss in left ear? (either temp or permanent) My son wears 2 hearing aids so I'm unfortunately quite familiar with these things.

A little detective work and you'll have your answer.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's an update for all:

The On-Star problem grew with the system not responding to my voice commands - it didn't have any issue before but now it does. In addition to that, phone calls were suddenly quite poor with my having to shout for the caller on the receiving end to hear me. I was entertaining family over the Easter break and couldn't take COCOA to the dealer. Got her there yesterday and here in essence is what I was told.

The On-Star system is designed to switch directions to the driver side only so that only the driver hears it. I asked why it wasn't like this before and of course they couldn't answer that. I know - he was probably thinking that I the system is working as it was designed so I must have imagined the sound coming from all speakers. Here's the kicker though - as one of you mentioned before - I have a significant hearing loss on my left side - legally deaf in fact though a hearing aid helps tremendously. Because of this I would notice any sudden changes in sound on my right side. My wife has been with me almost every time that OnStar was used and she also confirms that the sound has changed. Weird. The dealer told me that they re-installed the software and it appears to be working fine now. I will try it later and see what happens. Am especially interested in the quality of the telephone service.

On another note - I have also noticed a problem with the windshield washer. A couple of days ago I had to push it 3 times to get it to work. The wipers would start but no fluid. And yesterday on the way to the dealer for the On-Star issue the heated wash feature would not work. I tried it and it activated and all. I was prompted with the usual messages and you could hear the pump working to push it onto the window and could even see some steam around the washer holes on the bonnet. Nothing came out and the system then shut itself off rather than go for the complete cycle. I had the dealer look at that and as that was working when they tried it they said that they tightened some of the plugs. Has anyone else had this issue? (And yes, there was lots of washer fluid).

·
Registered
182 Posts
colin said:
On another note - I have also noticed a problem with the windshield washer. A couple of days ago I had to push it 3 times to get it to work. The wipers would start but no fluid. And yesterday on the way to the dealer for the On-Star issue the heated wash feature would not work. I tried it and it activated and all. I was prompted with the usual messages and you could hear the pump working to push it onto the window and could even see some steam around the washer holes on the bonnet. Nothing came out and the system then shut itself off rather than go for the complete cycle. I had the dealer look at that and as that was working when they tried it they said that they tightened some of the plugs. Has anyone else had this issue? (And yes, there was lots of washer fluid).
Yes. I could only figure that water had frozen in the lines and the heated water could not get through so as a safety it would shut down. After about 2 tries of pushing hot water through the line would clear and all was fine. I think it is just a safety feature to save the pump and electrical system.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Guess GM isn't using washer fluid with anti-freeze chemicals from the factory if whatever is aready is in the lines freezing.

From Wikipedia- "Although there are a few aftermarket preheat devices, General Motors has begun equipping vehicles with heated washer fluid systems from the factory beginning in 2006 with the Buick Lucerne sedan. The system, designed and manufactured by Microheat, emits a fine mist of superheated water that clears frost without damaging the windshield itself. GM also claims heated washer fluid helps in removing bug splatters and other road accumulation."

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would be surprised if the windshield washer issue was related to frozen fluid. The temperatures were actually on the plus side each time I noticed the problem. My car is garaged at all times and I use -45C washer fluid at all times. Perhaps it was just a loose connection at the pump.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
colin said:
I would be surprised if the windshield washer issue was related to frozen fluid. The temperatures were actually on the plus side each time I noticed the problem. My car is garaged at all times and I use -45C washer fluid at all times. Perhaps it was just a loose connection at the pump.
colin , I agree it was probably a loose fitting as both washer systems failed and both use same pump/lines.

Sorry to hear about your hearing loss. It was my son who has dual loss and uses 2 aids. Sound is very tricky and most people don't realize that you lose 75% of your hearing if only 1 ear is less than normal functioning. Has to do with sound reflecting.
Can't say why your wife heard Onstar Turn-by-Turn directions from her speaker. Maybe she was thinking of regular, live, Onstar conversations, which emit from all speakers in car?? Thks for tip about the software re-flash. good to know.

Remember you can adjust bass and mid-range sound (in reg radio adjustments) which will in turn affect Onstar live, call sound quality. There is a "custom" sound feature adjustment also, you could experiment with (vs talk, pop, News etc) Should affect T-B-T direction sound from the single speaker also! Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts