EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned in a different thread that my car joined "Check Engine Light" crowd. :angryfire:

So I contacted OnStart to run diagnostics and they came up with the dreaded ignintion problem. Called my local Service Deprartment and they took the car in right away.

Now, as I was leaving the keys, they "remembered" that their Tech 2 is broken but they are expecting a replacement some time this morning.

My question is the following. If OnStar had no problem identifying the issue, why does my Service Department even need their Tech 2? Wouldn't it show the same thing? Can't they simply call OnStar from my vehicle and get on with fixing the issue? ???

Sorry, it turned out to be more that one question....

·
Registered
164 Posts
My check engine light has come on at least 10 times. On Star says "ignition problem". Finally got it to dealer yesterday before the light went out & the technician said "camshaft problem". On Star said to take it to dealer in the next 7 days (I covered this in an earlier thread that it should be miles driven and not days.) Dealer says it shouldn't be driven till fixed. Big difference between On Star & technician info!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what is the point of OnStar diagnostics if it does not match Tech 2 result at he dealer?

Sort of rhetoric question, I ??? guess...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Onstar should have SAME data that Tech 2 machine has. Onstar beams in the data over satellite and is probably limited in scope/tech analysis, but I've used it as a reassurance as to whether it was safe to drive a vehicle, or not.
Dealer would be my final verdict, after some questioning. They sometimes have a "canned" answer, as anyone who has dealt with the general public may understand ;) I like more details as I have a somewhat tech background myself.

Good luck in resolving. Sounds like the dreaded, but very fixable camshaft problem. Toyota has similar probs on their V-8's camshafts (they snap!!!), if that's any consolation at all? :eek:hno:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I can see one reason why Onstar would not have the same capabilities as a Tech II. A Tech II costs thousands of dollars. At least 2K. It also has WAY more functionality than Onstar. It has the ability to read ANYTHING in the computer and also has the ability to reprogram any feature in the vehicle. GM also came out with the replacement to the Tech II which is is wireless. A tech told me GM wants all techs to have PC's and supposedly when they plug the new unit in it scans every system, checks for updates and notifies the factory about the changes.

Having said all that, I see no reason they could not make Onstar able to read any and all codes from the computers without the ability to program but at a fraction of the cost of the Tech II.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smokin SRX said:
Onstar should have SAME data that Tech 2 machine has. Onstar beams in the data over satellite and is probably limited in scope/tech analysis, but I've used it as a reassurance as to whether it was safe to drive a vehicle, or not.
Dealer would be my final verdict, after some questioning. They sometimes have a "canned" answer, as anyone who has dealt with the general public may understand ;) I like more details as I have a somewhat tech background myself.

Good luck in resolving. Sounds like the dreaded, but very fixable camshaft problem. Toyota has similar probs on their V-8's camshafts (they snap!!!), if that's any consolation at all? :eek:hno:
The problem with getting a read from Tech II (at least for me) is that SEL in my Enclave shows up intermittently. With OnStar I can get immediate response/diagnosis. If I show up at a dealer with no SEL they will just turn me away (as they did before)...

I talked to OnStar operator about it and he suggested Service Department contact them to get info. When I discussed it with the Service Department, they said they can only trust their Tech II... :confused:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
In past, I've had a dealer call Onstar and ask what code they had gotten. Not sure why they would (other than a confirmation?) because the car's computer is supposed to store all previous codes that haven't already been re-set. Me thinks it's just a lack of faith in the Onstar operator's tech/interpeting savy? Or as mentioned, once car is hooked-up, they can also modify certain parameters with their equipment, as cruiser68 states.
Since they found no codes on your previuos dealer visit, perhaps the Eng Lite code is able to reset the computer itself, on certain codes, like a loose gas cap situation?? Onstar would be helpful there, with real-time data.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I always thought that any codes set in the computer would stay there until there were three complete cold start, warm up, cool down cycles with no errors. In other words, if you left your gas cap on loose, you would get a code and a SES light. After 3 complete cycles of cold, hot, cold, the light shuts off and code goes away. If the code trips again during the 3 cycles, it starts over.

Might have changed recently but I know my 01 Tahoe worked that way.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Smokin, they did find a code on a previous visit but decided to erase it since SEL went away on its own. They were hoping it was just a fluke.
It came back a few times during last week and went away again. I called OnStar every time so now they/I have a log of these occurrences.

This time it been on for three days, the car had more than 3 cold starts and it is not going away. Clearly, it is not a fluke :(

So, it is going back on Monday to they can "dig into the engine". I could not get an earlier appointment because apparently this dealer has only one person who can do this job and he was on vacation... ???

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
cruiser68 said:
I always thought that any codes set in the computer would stay there until there were three complete cold start, warm up, cool down cycles with no errors. In other words, if you left your gas cap on loose, you would get a code and a SES light. After 3 complete cycles of cold, hot, cold, the light shuts off and code goes away. If the code trips again during the 3 cycles, it starts over.

Might have changed recently but I know my 01 Tahoe worked that way.
I didn't know that, cruiser68. very interesting.

chumster , sorry to hear. You may be getting a new camshaft set-up! Enclave will run better than new if it turns out like others who just had it done. Best wishes and keep us posted :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts